HAL cruisers - comparisons with Princess

Stx3me

5 minutes ago, Stx3me said:

Hi All,

we are almost exclusively HAL cruisers and was wondering from others who have sailed on both lines which is their preference? We exclusively sail the Caribbean. Thanks much!

Princess usually, IMO, has, from time to time, some inexpensive inside cabins those Caribbean itineraries

My opinion only:

evening activities, HAL = ZZZZZZZZZZ, Princess Lively lots of live bands and music

CD activities, HAL has a limited CD Staff, Princess had a CD + 6 ass't CD's on our last cruise

Food? too subjective. You will not go hungry on either line

A lot depends on the ships you select and the itinerary.

• Like 1

We are elite on princess and 2 star on HAL.  Both have their advantages and their relative shortfalls.

What's important to note is that, in our opinion, food and service are very comparable - this is subjective obviously and some will say one way or another but overall, we've found it similar.

Biggest gripes with PCL?  Bigger ships and big crowds, they manage them well but there are certain times where the crowds can be annoying.  Most of the time however, its not annoying.  The decor of the Princess ships (non royal class) is a bit dated and unoriginal.

Biggest gripes with HAL? We enjoy snacking, and we apparently enjoy snacking the 2 or 3 total hours of the day on a HAL ship when room service is the only option.  Sure its relatively quick, but whenever we just want a cookie or something, by the time it came, there was food open somewhere or we weren't hungry.  Seems like a minor gripe, but not an issue on Princess between 6am and midnight.  The HAL entertainment sometimes is just non-existent.  On port days, if you arent planning to go ashore, there just isn't much going on - no trivia, sometimes a movie, but generally nothing.  We can both self entertain, but sometimes I want to partake in south american pop music trivia - with 5 other people on board...and you might get that on a princess cruise.  Some people dont like the movie screen on princess, but i liked it better than the one on the few HAL ships that have it which seemed to be rarely used and with very odd choices.  The Princess ships recycle the same concert videos and movies but they never bothered me and there are usually 3 other pool areas to enjoy.  HAL recently started playing top 40 music on some of their ships in lounges when nothing else was going on - gosh i wish they would have stuck with instrumentals or silence!

My gripes for both are minor.  Pluses for both are different too.

HAL pluses

-disembarkation procedure allows you to relax in your room

-live music performances for all tastes, very good

-ship decor is contemporary and thought provoking, really enjoyed it

-the crows nest is the best rendition of observation deck/coffee bar/lounge I have seen yet

-gallery bar is a great addition to the ships that have it

-the pool areas are half pool/half lounge, feels like a resort

-our kids seem to like the clubs more on HAL (go figure!)

-americas test kitchen partnership

PCL pluses

-several pools and spas

-active and engaged cruise staff

-always something going on somewhere

-fast embarkation

-international cafe!

-discovery under the stars

-movies under the stars

-live sports on movies under the stars

-piazza/atrium activities

We are elite on Princess, elite on Celebrity, 2 star Hal, cruise Cunard recently as well.  Prefer Princess based on past experience, always felt Princess was more responsive to off menu requests;  entertainment better/more variety;  even this is changing on Princess.   Actually Princess, HAL, Cunard very similar, so we usually go with what itinerary and route we wish... Princess seems to work better for us.  

HAL tends to have better long cruise ports, because they can generally get into smaller ones that the larger PCL's cannot. I am kinda old and kinda a loner, liking the quiet spots on HAL.

Princess has better service, IMHO, than HAL, RCCC, Norwegian, or Celebrity, which I value above most things. PCL also have IC, best pizza, best breakfast [because if they dont have smoked salmon out, I can always ask and it shall be given. Inn fact, I have never been denied anything available upon asking, even If they had me wait till next day. 

I have 6 sailings on HAL, more than a dozen [Elite] on PCL. PCL has the best loyalty benefits I know, period. 

Therefor, while I will gladly sail on HAL if the price and intenery are right, Princess is my 1st love. 

We have just shy of 200 days sailing on HAL, about 150 days on Regent and over 300 on Princess. Currently, a lot of posters keep suggesting to move on to another line if one is so displeased with the one they have been faithful to for years. HAL just began charging for extra entrees, on the "One Main Course" thread this theme is repeated over and over. I'm not saying that this is bad advice but I would sure like to learn who they find that they are happy with.

Some suggest trying the all inclusives. On another thread I outlined what it would cost us if we booked on Oceania on a cruise similar to one we recently took on Princess. It would cost us $28,000 more and Oceania isn't an all-inclusive either. I wasn't exaggerating. I calculated expenses for a 28 day cruise in North America on the Oceania's Regatta in the exact same Owners Suite as we had on the Pacific Princess (Note: The Pacific Princess is the R-3 from the defunct Renaissance Cruises and the Regatta is the R-2). This Oceania cruise would run us $957.00 per day per person. Compare this to what we paid on Princess during a 29 day cruise a few months ago, $530.p.p. p.d. In addition, the Regatta charges are going to be even more as we get no free internet, plus we get 7 shore exclusions each on the Regatta but any more we take will be an additional charge. We do get a butler if we choose to use the Regatta. But been there done that, the Butler isn't worth it and we must pay for one like it or not on Oceania. In summary, Oceania costs us $1000 more per day for the same cabin and about the same cruise as we had on Princess. You don't even want to know how much more it costs on Regent, unless you are rolling in dough. 

We last booked HAL about 5 years ago, no particular reason other than their loyalty perks are the most stingy we have experienced and their overall cruise experience was in retrogress. However, that was a while back, things might have changed.  However, I'm not encouraged by a reputable rating service as far as cuisine and service goes today for HAL:

Their 2019 edition contains some Interesting changes on the cuisine scores among the nine majors (mass markets). A few years ago they dropped Cunard as a major. They now define "major" as those with 10 ships or more. The rest are in their "The smaller Lines" category.

In 2018---MSC #1, Celebrity #2, Princess #3, HAL #4, NCL & RCI tied #5, Carnival #6, AIDA # 7, COSTA #8

In 2019---MSC #1, Princess #2, Celebrity #3, RCI #4, NCL #5, HAL #6, COSTA & AIDA tied #7, Carnival #8

More----------https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2638686-hal-and-princess-comparison/page/4/

I have now done 2 HAL (in Pinnacle Suites) and 2 Princess (1 in large Suite and 1 in balcony). Neither lines excel across the board. You basically get what you pay for - neither lines come close to Crystal or Oceania but are priced accordingly.

On the Princess Round the World(I did Sea PrincessSydney-Southampton 2018) i had excellent quiet balcony cabin and enjoyed the promenade deck, the Tai Chi classes, share plate restaurant and daily trivia. Princess tours were ordinary. Gave up on the Princess Theatre with having to get a seat long before events. Lecturers ordinary. The suite on the Diamond Princess was strangely designed (2 bathroom sections and imited storage) but having two outside doors to open was good, but little privacy on the large verandah. Special dining area for suite passengers was good and food MUCH better than HAL especially in Santa Fe. We found overall that the staff and service were better on Princess.  Sea Princess had the 2018 refurb and that showed, Diamond Princess was well maintained. Both had good hygiene. Avoided buffets, washed hands constantly and always on return to cabin.

HAL Noordam two things stand out for me - it  has wonderful Lincoln Centre Stage classical music (2 violinists, cellist, viola and piano) and we went to every concert they did over 14 days - first class musicians and a wonderful easy way to hear great music daily.  They also have a great private lounge for suite passengers (about 8 hour daily of quiet haven with good snacks butt charging for drinks)  really looked after my elderly mother well. The HAL Pinnacle Grill provides very good meals and service and we basically gave up on the MDR and the buffet which was really disappointing in 2019. We noticed that food quality and service there had really detoriated between trips in 2017 and 2019.  The ship is really needs a refurb - even in the suite (which is very well designed)

furnishings were shoddy and in need of repair.  The bathroom is really dated but does have a separate shower. The dressing room is good. Plenty of storage. Noordam needs work. Only really redeemed by classical music at Lincoln Centre Stage and Pinnacle Grill.  

Overall Princess had the edge in my view but it is off to try Viking for me.

Overall I think that Princess has the edge.

My differences from years ago:

HAL cabins are larger especially inside ones. Mainly more sitting area.  Smaller closet.

Princess has more pools with fresh water.

HAL has better room service including hot breakfast and dinner from the dining room menu.

May need to check traditional dining times and buffet hours it they are important to you.

List what is important in a cruise line for you and we can give more specific answers.

Sailing on Royal Princess is my most recent experience.  Most important concerns to me were the large number of people at certain times in a venue, i.e. New Year's Eve in the Piazza and prime meal time in the Horizon Court/Bistro.  I believe I learned how to handle such situations in the future that would better provide me with more satisfactory experiences on a Royal Class ship.

Royal Princess' entertainment options in all venues were great.  Simply wonderful and relevant music is what I heard.  HAL's introduction of Rolling Stone Rock Room, BB King's Blues Club, Lincoln Center Live, and Billboard On-Board is an improvement.  But, at what cost to the main showroom entertainment?  On Nieuw Statendam in January, what I witnessed was disappointing.

Royal Princess' Crown Grill and Sabitini's was far superior to HAL's Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto.  

Crew on both cruise lines are just wonderful!  My mini-suite's Cabin Steward on Royal Princess was the most friendly that I have ever experienced.   HAL's Bartenders are always willing to interact with guests as their duties allow.

Edited by rkacruiser

All of the lounge entertainment has excellent musicians but the music they play is selected by corporate. The musicians on each ship play the exact same sets and they even repeat sets on the same cruise.

We are 3 star level or the old bronze level on HAL.  We are elite on princess.  We gave up H AL in 2006 and have continually travelled on princess since.  HAL got rid of activities staff and therefore most activities.  They had changed the food as well and what they offered.  Friends every so often go and try HAL but come back swearing never again.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Knickearth said:

We are 3 star level or the old bronze level on HAL.  We are elite on princess.  We gave up H AL in 2006 and have continually travelled on princess since.  HAL got rid of activities staff and therefore most activities.  They had changed the food as well and what they offered.  Friends every so often go and try HAL but come back swearing never again.  

We are also 3 star on HAL and Elite on Princess.  The Princess Elite benefits are similar to HAL's 4-star benefits and somewhat easier to attain:  Princess Elite--15 cruises or 151+days; HAL 4*--200 days.  However, Princess starts giving free internet minutes to Platinum level, the one below Elite.  (IMHO this is one of the most valuable benefits).   I don't think HAL gives anyone free internet minutes.    Plus Princess OV cabins are less expensive on Princess than HAL, but are also smaller as HAL's OV have a sofa so are deeper from hall to window and have more storage space.  Our last cruise was on a TA on HAL's Zuiderdam in April 2017.  Our 3* on HAL didn't help us at all during embarkation--4* and 5* folks got to go ahead of us, no matter how long we'd been in line.  Theirs was a relatively short line and as there were only 3, maybe 4 agents, it took a long wait for us to get checked in.  Princess starts their priority embarkation at the Platinum (6-15 prior cruises) level.

2 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

However, Princess starts giving free internet minutes to Platinum level, the one below Elite.  (IMHO this is one of the most valuable benefits).   I don't think HAL gives anyone free internet minutes.   

You can say that again. Anymore we rarely book cruises of less than three weeks. We are four star mariners with 270 credit days and have sailed with HAL for about 200 days. We have another 230 credits to go before we receive a "50% discount on a 100-minute internet package (one time only per cruise) Up to US$30 credit toward any Internet package, each." So all we will receive is half off their going rate on our combined 200 minutes.

Now, with Princess, we are elites with over 300 days credit with them.  We have had free internet for years now, in particular, on Voyages 21+ days, 500 minutes each. Meaning we get 1000 free minutes each cruise. Plus, we also have the opportunity, within one day after sailing, to purchase another 450 minutes each at a greatly reduced rate on which our 10% shopping discount is also applied. In short, we start our Princess voyages with almost 2000 minutes.

Because we spend so much time away I stay in contact with the kids and other friends by posting a short monologue after shore excursion days along with pictures. I find Princess internet pretty fast anymore, as I can relay 10 to 15 pictures in just minutes along with the narrative which I compose before I log on.

I would cost me a small fortune to do this on HAL even if I rack up another half year sailing on them.

Thanks Stx3me for opening this thread. We are in our mid 60s and have pretty much given up on HAL as their sea days and evening shows have just become too boring for us. We've got one more booked with them because their new In-depth EXC program on the Maasdam interests us and we really wanted to go on an Australian circumnavigation in the springtime rather than summer like Oceania was offering. We looked at Princess' circumnavigation, but it was completely sold out.

But we're trying Princess again, as you can see in my Signature, because we had such a great time on the Diamond back in Jan 2015 when we did a AU/NZ 12 day cruise. We also like cruising on Celebrity ships because of the variety of things to do on sea days as well as their great shows!

In addition for roughly the same cost of an A category balcony cabin on Oceania or in some cases a HAL vista suite, we can book a Princess mini-suite or if we time it just right a vista suite, and a Sky Suite on Celebrity. So, those are also pluses for booking with Princess and Celebrity again. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

The fact that you "exclusively sail the Caribbean" really impacts my recommendation.  My suggestion is to abandon both HAL and Princess (both lines have been cutting-back too many things) and book a cruise on MSC in the Yacht Club.  Just beware that the Yacht Club books up early (sometimes over 18 months in advance).  IMHO MSC's Yacht Club experience blows away both HAL and Princess.  Personally, we really dislike HAL in the Caribbean for a few reasons.  We are 5 Star Mariners and looking forward to our next HAL cruise (Westy from Tokyo to Vancouver).  In the Caribbean we prefer to avoid a floating nursing home (OK, that is an exaggeration so I should say a floating Assisted Living Center).   We still cruise Princess a lot and usually get to the Caribbean once a year on a Princess ship.  

So what are some of the issues with Princess and HAL?  Well, HAL recently decided to simply stop all their production shows!  And Princess decided to remove the barrel chairs from most of their cabins (leaving only a single desk chair).  Both lines have been consistently degrading their cuisine and entertainment although Princess entertainment is better then what we get on HAL (and Princess does have Production Shows).  Most of the Princess vessels also have their International Café, which is open 24/7 with decent coffee drinks and some food (no charge).  We love the IC (our hang-out on Princess ships).  Many also like the Princess Movies Under the Stars feature which can be nice on a balmy Caribbean evening (long after most HAL cruisers have gone to sleep).

Hank

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

And Princess decided to remove the barrel chairs from most of their cabins (leaving only a single desk chair). 

It is my understanding that the barrel chairs were only removed from the small balcony cabins. Deluxe balcony and mini-suites didn't lose seating. Or did they? Friends tell me that if you ask for a barrel chair in a balcony you can get them, as well as a sofa that makes into a bed. Been so long since we had less than a mini I have to go by what fellow cruisers say. We haven't been short changed or experienced a significant degradation in our cruise experiences on Princess, yet. But then we only have 317 days on them.        

We have cruised just six times on HAL, most recently a partial Panama Canal cruise in 2017. I like the culinary arts program on HAL but don't like that HAL has cut back on other activities and entertainment. I consider the perks we get for being Elite on Princess when choosing which cruise will work best for us. On our HAL cruise two years ago, the savings of around $400 per person made up for the loss of those perks.

15 hours ago, kennicott said:

It is my understanding that the barrel chairs were only removed from the small balcony cabins. Deluxe balcony and mini-suites didn't lose seating. Or did they? Friends tell me that if you ask for a barrel chair in a balcony you can get them, as well as a sofa that makes into a bed. Been so long since we had less than a mini I have to go by what fellow cruisers say. We haven't been short changed or experienced a significant degradation in our cruise experiences on Princess, yet. But then we only have 317 days on them.        

At the risk of turning this into a Princess discussion I have to respond.  Although we also like the mini-suites there are times when it does not happen.  We have an upcoming 25 day Emerald Princess cruise where all the mini's were sold out.  And the Grand Class do not have "deluxe balconies" so apparently all the barrel chairs have been removed from the overwhelming majority of cabins on that large ship.  Obviously, Princess does not plan on storing 1500 barrel chairs on the ship although apparently there are a few available for the asking.  But many will not be able to get any chair because when the few in storage are gone they are gone.

The real mystery is why Princess would remove those chairs and leave nearly 1500 cabins with only a single chair.  2 persons, 1 chair does not make a lot of sense....especially if one wants to enjoy room service breakfast.

Hank

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

. . . And the Grand Class do not have "deluxe balconies" so apparently all the barrel chairs have been removed from the overwhelming majority of cabins on that large ship.  Obviously, Princess does not plan on storing 1500 barrel chairs on the ship although apparently there are a few available for the asking.  But many will not be able to get any chair because when the few in storage are gone they are gone.

The real mystery is why Princess would remove those chairs and leave nearly 1500 cabins with only a single chair.  2 persons, 1 chair does not make a lot of sense....especially if one wants to enjoy room service breakfast.

Hank

We always book OVs and those cabins have never had a barrel chair, as I recall.  So no "loss" for us <g>.

I have been cruising for 40 years now, across 5 different lines and with 30+ (and counting) trips under my belt, just to give you my perspective.

Itinerary determines a trip for us for the most part. We default to HAL and Princess as our chosen lines. I always check HAL first because I love the size of most of their ships (starting with the Vista class ships of 80,000+ tons). It is easy for me to walk the stairs for my exercise and get where I am going. The service on HAL is the best, bar none, in my experience. Hot room service breakfast—yay! The balcony cabins and balconies themselves are bigger on HAL than Princess. There are enough elevators to carry the load and Dive-In burger bar and the New York Pizza are great and there is still a variety of ice creams in the Lido, at no extra cost. the rest of the food is so-so, but the speciality restaurants are quite good.  It’s true—not a lot that interests us in the way of entertainment. But we do enjoy the libraries moved to the Crow’s Nest/Explorations area and the comfy chairs there. What a great place to hang out! Have always thought the beds were very comfortable. It would be nice if HAL would do the Medallionet thing and get faster, cheaper internet. The shopping is awful on HAL and the same goes for Princess. 

Have sailed some of the older Princess ships and much prefer the newer royal class, though I am not a fan of the size now. More people, more decks to climb, more people stuffed like sausages into elevators. Princess never seems to get the right number of lifts on their ships. But their food venues are improving with the updated Horizon Courts and Alfredo’s. Hopefully they will put in a better burger bar with newer ships,  Princess does have much better entertainment, and I love the Piazza. But that main theater is not big enough. You shouldn’t have to go 30-45 minutes ahead of time to get a seat. Holland does not have that problem even when there is desirable entertainment.

For the life of me I don’t know why Princess designed those newer ships with aft elevators that stop on like deck 7 but go no further down. Odd. Our last cruise in January we were aft deck 15 so if we weren’t walking, that was the elevator nearest.

Princess rewards its repeat customers a lot faster than HAL. I do wish their ships didn’t continue to get bigger. HAL’s are, too, but still smaller than Princess.

Each line has its pluses and minuses as others have said. Either one is a good value, in my opinion. I may check HAL first, but itinerary wins the coin toss.

did world cruise on HAL 2017. many disappointments

entertainment - very little rock music. had nite club dedicated to classical music - ugg.  most shows were worn out music - no rock.

cabin horrible. cold for 30 days - heat broke & no repair parts.

docking was usually the worst in every port with Carnival corp bigger ships getting best.

cancelled turkey visit and substituted 4 more days in Greece instead of split & debrovnick (more interesting). food was good. lots of free booze. wine allowed to be carried on at every segment.   ship too small.

On 4/16/2019 at 6:20 PM, jrblach said:

cancelled turkey visit and substituted 4 more days in Greece 

Disappointing?  Yes.  Istanbul was a highlight of my HAL Grand World Voyage.  

Why the itinerary change?  The political situation was to blame.  If the United States State Department issues a traveler's warning for a region due to political instability, terrorist activity, etc., HAL,  in the best interest of their guests,  cancel a port call(s) and makes other plans.  (Their legal ability to do this is part of the Cruise Contract that all of us must accept.)

2002 Asia Pacific Cruise on the Volendam:  a few days before we were to arrive at Bali, the terrorist incident there prompted Bali to be dropped to the disappointment of guests and the Indonesian crew.  A new port was added:  Broome, Australia.  That proved to be an unexpected delight.

Travelers need to be flexible in my opinion.  All often does not go as planned or expected.