Might Be Giving Up

JamieLogical

I am beginning to wonder how anyone manages to successfully sail on an MSC cruise. It sounds like the actual cruises are pretty good and I was really looking forward to trying our first one in September. But at this point, I am just ready to give up completely thanks to their truly and utterly TERRIBLE customer support. I had heard it was bad. But reading about it and experiencing it first-hand are very different things. Here's a run-down of my experience so far:

• Booked the Sept. 7 sailing on the Seaside in a Balcony cabin with the Fantastica experience under their "All In" promo, which includes WiFi and the Easy Drink Package via their website. That all went super smoothly.
  • With the launch of the Bellissima they ran a promotion where if you did the virtual tour, you could get a 10% discount code to apply to a future cruise. I did the tour and got my code.
  • I found out about the status match option and since I am Gold with NCL, I thought i would go ahead and do that. This is where things started to go sour. Gold on NCL somehow only matched to ONE point on MSC. One point! It takes 2200 points to go from "Classic" to "Silver" on MSC. They gave me ONE point. I am hardly well on my way to any sort of status with them. I tried to rescind my match, since it is one-time-only, so I could wait until I was maybe a higher level with NCL, but they would not let me. I am stuck with my ONE whole point.
  • The only "up side" of my ONE point is that I now qualified for the 5% off Voyagers Club discount. So now that I was to receive 5% off for Voyagers Club and 10% off with my Bellissima code, I decided to call up and cancel my initial booking and re-book with my new discounts. I tried using the "Call Me" form on the MSC website. I filled it out twice and never received a call. So I called them and after about a 20 minute wait, I spoke to an customer service rep and got my booking canceled.
  • I then logged into the website with my new Voyagers Club account, proceeded through the booking, this time picking an Aurea Balcony since I wanted to use the money we "saved" through our discounts to upgrade our experience. Got to the screen where I had to enter my Bellissima discount code. It went through. All was correct. Totals looked good and I booked.
  • I received my reservation confirmation email with the PDF attachment and everything looked perfect. Both discounts applied and the totals were all correct. This was at 3:48 PM.
  • At 9:00 PM, I suddenly received a new booking confirmation email with the same reservation number. I opened the attached PDF and now, all of the sudden, my booking no longer has the 10% discount for the Bellissima promo. It only shows the 5% of for Voyagers Club!
  • Since it was now after 9:00 PM, I had to wait until the next day to call customer service. So a long wait time and a long, confused conversation later, I was assured that they would escalate my issue and I should see the 10% discount code reapplied to my booking with 5 business days. That was on the 20th of March.
  • I waited and waited. Still no email update and every time I logged into the MSC site, my booking was showing the same info. Decided to give them a little extra time because I had heard that the 10% was causing them a lot of headaches. Went on a scheduled cruise with NCL on April 7, figuring I'd follow up when I got back.
  • I got back this past Sunday and was back to work on Monday. I filled out the "Call Me" form on their website three more times. Still no call back.
  • Finally, last night I had the time to try to call again. Over 20 minutes on hold before I got a rep. I had to explain my issue to her all over again. She had me forward her my original confirmation email... the one with the correct totals. She was completely confused. She looked up my previous "ticket" in the system and it had not been updated/worked on/acknowledged since the 20th when it was initially created. She told me she would create a NEW ticket and escalate it. She made me no promises about a timeline for a solution. And that was it.

So here I am a full month closer to the sailing and no closer to a resolution. I don't know if I'm supposed to give them another 5 business days or another month to get this resolved? I still want to upgrade to the Premium Drink package prior to sailing to save the service charges, but I am TERRIFIED to make any other changes to my booking if they do actually get this resolved. It's just such a disaster. Wait times are insane. No answers are given. And no resolutions are implemented. I just sit in limbo with time ticking away trying to decide if I should risk booking airfare for a cruise I might not even go on. In the grand scheme of things, the 10% off only amounts to about $212. So probably not worth all this hassle. But it shouldn't even BE a hassle. I don't want to REWARD them for their failure. I shouldn't have to pay them MORE to suck whether it's $5 or $1500.

• Like 1

It took me awhile to book my first cruise with MSC mainly because of horror stories such as yours.

Because I so wanted to go and experience them "anyway", I made sure I booked with a travel agency who had experience with them and wasn't afraid of them.😏

The travel agency I used said they weren't as bad as they were and they had an express phone line to get through to them.

May I ask why you didn't go the TA route?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mafig said:

It took me awhile to book my first cruise with MSC mainly because of horror stories such as yours.

Because I so wanted to go and experience them "anyway", I made sure I booked with a travel agency who had experience with them and wasn't afraid of them.😏

The travel agency I used said they weren't as bad as they were and they had an express phone line to get through to them.

I've never needed a TA before. I've sailed five times with NCL so far and never had any significant issues around customer service aside from when they changed the itinerary around the inaugural transatlantic of the Encore. When they did that, it was quite a while before they got us updated final pricing on our booking. I ended up canceling that one anyway, because I didn't like the new itinerary. They were very generous with their pricing discounts to those who had booked prior to the change though. I think my initial booking for the 11-Day version was something like $1549 per person for our mid-ship balcony. In the end, we would have paid under $1000 per person for the 9-Day, but we weren't interested in sailing from England to New York City in  November.

Everything else that has come up with my NCL bookings (changing perks, getting OBC for price drops, cancelling/rebooking, etc.) have hall been handled with minimal effort through the Personal Cruise Consultant they assigned me after my first cruise.

• Like 2

Hi Jamie,  Yowza! I can definitely see why you might give up. This sounds like a ridiculous process. If the itinerary/price can be duplicated elsewhere, it may just be time to pull the plug. If not, I hope that MSC comes through for you and applies the discounts and it will be an "alls well that ends well" scenario for you! Keep us posted...my fingers are crossed! 🤞

It's a bit hit-or-miss.

I did everything myself and everything went smoothly for me. The cruise itself was great. My only real issue was with the Voyagers Club side of things. There were web updates for that section and even though my number is correct and my points are correct (it took a while) my gender has been changed (reassigned?) and I haven't been able to change it back.

My reservation has the correct gender but the Voyagers section has me as avatar_woman.png.

I'll deal with it later. 

• Haha 1

Seems like a lot of little things.

First, we use a good TA and if any issues they deal with it plus we get a discount.

Who else gives a status match?  Be happy they give you one as we know NCL doesn't and at least the 5% off.

I haven't paid attention to their points system but we each got email after last trip we earned 13,500 points each so obviously different than NCL who works in single or double digits.

Totally up to you what you do but MSC is family run and despite shoreside technical lapses actually cares about customers unlike NCL who will increase charges and take away between booking and sailing.

• Like 2

The only thing I can say to (maybe) help is:  remember that you were happy with your initial booking.  Worst case now you are saving 5%.  So even if you don't get everything you should (and I agree you should), you are still ahead of the deal that you were originally happy with.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

It's a bit hit-or-miss.

I did everything myself and everything went smoothly for me. The cruise itself was great. My only real issue was with the Voyagers Club side of things. There were web updates for that section and even though my number is correct and my points are correct (it took a while) my gender has been changed (reassigned?) and I haven't been able to change it back.

My reservation has the correct gender but the Voyagers section has me as avatar_woman.png.

I'll deal with it later. 

Our DS has been changed twice and quick email to TA it gets fixed.  Her feedback is this is fairly common.

She also said MSC had tour of their site back late 2018 and were aware of technical issues and valued feedback from the agents on how to improve.

53 minutes ago, mafig said:

Our TA mentioned the dedicated line for them as well.

9 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Seems like a lot of little things.

First, we use a good TA and if any issues they deal with it plus we get a discount.

Who else gives a status match?  Be happy they give you one as we know NCL doesn't and at least the 5% off.

I haven't paid attention to their points system but we each got email after last trip we earned 13,500 points each so obviously different than NCL who works in single or double digits.

Totally up to you what you do but MSC is family run and despite shoreside technical lapses actually cares about customers unlike NCL who will increase charges and take away between booking and sailing.

Sadly, MSC is not a good fit for you and you have not even sailed. We have always used a TA to book our cruises and received great service. I agree Dexddd MSC matched us to Black and we are already eyeing another cruise for 2021. We decided to mix up our cruise lines and no longer sail just on NCL.

3 minutes ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

Sadly, MSC is not a good fit for you and you have not even sailed. We have always used a TA to book our cruises and received great service. I agree Dexddd MSC matched us to Black and we are already eyeing another cruise for 2021. We decided to mix up our cruise lines and no longer sail just on NCL.

So is this upcoming your first MSC?  We'll be on our third in just over 9 weeks.  Can't wait.

1 minute ago, dexddd said:

So is this upcoming your first MSC?  We'll be on our third in just over 9 weeks.  Can't wait.

Yes it is our first MSC cruise and we are really excited. We will be sailing with friends and celebrating the guy's birthdays and our friend's 53rd Wedding Anniversary. I am looking at an 11-day for 2021 with DH since I already have one booked this year with DD and one next year with DS and DD. DS is treating mom to a cruise to enjoy with just the kids (ok they are almost 50 with families of their own-but still kids to me).

• Like 1

Just go on the cruise and enjoy it...you're overthinking and overworking yourself on this, IMHO...

BTW, I'm sailing Seaside 4/27 and looking forward to it.  I too did the upgrade and got the 1 point, which afforded me a 5% discount....Their point system is totally different, don't let it bother you.

Recently upgraded the Easy Package to Premium for the Bride and I...went smoothly on the phone.  I may get on the ship and decide I want the Premium + for use of the mini bar, but I'm waiting that one out.  

Ready to head to MIA next Friday...

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

Just go on the cruise and enjoy it...you're overthinking and overworking yourself on this, IMHO...

BTW, I'm sailing Seaside 4/27 and looking forward to it.  I too did the upgrade and got the 1 point, which afforded me a 5% discount....Their point system is totally different, don't let it bother you.

Recently upgraded the Easy Package to Premium for the Bride and I...went smoothly on the phone.  I may get on the ship and decide I want the Premium + for use of the mini bar, but I'm waiting that one out.  

Ready to head to MIA next Friday...

Have a great time!

22 minutes ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

Yes it is our first MSC cruise and we are really excited. We will be sailing with friends and celebrating the guy's birthdays and our friend's 53rd Wedding Anniversary. I am looking at an 11-day for 2021 with DH since I already have one booked this year with DD and one next year with DS and DD. DS is treating mom to a cruise to enjoy with just the kids (ok they are almost 50 with families of their own-but still kids to me).

Have a great time.

48 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The only thing I can say to (maybe) help is:  remember that you were happy with your initial booking.  Worst case now you are saving 5%.  So even if you don't get everything you should (and I agree you should), you are still ahead of the deal that you were originally happy with.

We'd only come out ahead of our initial booking if we canceled our current booking and re-booked yet again, back to the original balcony +Fantastica we booked. Remember, because of the discounts, we had decided to upgrade to Aurea. It came out to be a little bit more than our initial booking, but we felt it was worth it. Without the 10% discount, it is significantly more than our initial booking. Not sure I would be happy to have to cancel and re-book all over again just to get what I initially had in the first place. I get what you are saying that we were "happy" with our initial booking, but as they say, "you can never go back."

• Like 1

I had a similar experience with my first time booking of MSC. Voyager club unable to login, wrong date of birth, no update of status match for two weeks, 10% coupon drops off after I updated passenger information...

This is is the email that solves most of my issues. They got the back office in Italy to reapply the 10% coupon

MSCExistingReservations@msccruisesusa.com

They fixed my voyage club issues and wrong dob. The turnaround time is not great, but it’s better then wasting time calling.

Btw NCL Platinum and Platinum plus got matched to Gold. You are not really missing anything unless you get to match to Black.

Edited by thetaro

35 minutes ago, thetaro said:

I had a similar experience with my first time booking of MSC. Voyager club unable to login, wrong date of birth, no update of status match for two weeks, 10% coupon drops off after I updated passenger information...

This is is the email that solves most of my issues. They got the back office in Italy to reapply the 10% coupon

MSCExistingReservations@msccruisesusa.com

They fixed my voyage club issues and wrong dob. The turnaround time is not great, but it’s better then wasting time calling.

Btw NCL Platinum and Platinum plus got matched to Gold. You are not really missing anything unless you get to match to Black.

Thanks! I will try that email. Can't hurt to at least send them all the info I've already shared twice over the phone! I think I am giving this until the end of next week to be resolved and then I am cutting my losses. I am getting to crunch time for flight and hotel reservations and I don't want to put them off for too much longer.

3 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

As the old adage goes "Never change a confirmed cruise".

Also MSC is a founding and ex member of:

image.thumb.png.c195aece303789f46dcbfc6533da789b.png

G.M.T., I agree with you!  I have never had any problem with any cruise line's customer service, including MSC.  I think this is in a great part due to me doing a great deal of research and due diligence BEFORE my booking.  Then I DO NOT change it.  Changing an order with anyone is asking for trouble and mishaps.  If I get the wrong size, I ALWAYS do a new sale, receive the item, make sure it okay and then I begin the return process.  The same is true with cruises.  The only times I have had changed anything about a cruise is when NCL cancelled my booked cruise, due to pulling out of Houston and then AGAIN when my replacement cruise was cancelled due to a Sixth Man music charter.  Thin in itself was a bit confusing and irritating.  

I research EVERYTHING, even the exact cabin I chose with my lifetime subscription to "Cruisestaterooms.com".  I make sure I like the ship, cabins, ports, etc. before I make that call... has saved me a lifetime of stress.

Jamie, so sorry you are having problems.  I hope all turns out for you.

Edited by DMH15

26 minutes ago, DMH15 said:

G.M.T., I agree with you!  I have never had any problem with any cruise line's customer service, including MSC.  I think this is in a great part due to me doing a great deal of research and due diligence BEFORE my booking.  Then I DO NOT change it.  Changing an order with anyone is asking for trouble and mishaps.  If I get the wrong size, I ALWAYS do a new sale, receive the item, make sure it okay and then I begin the return process.  The same is true with cruises.  The only times I have had changed anything about a cruise is when NCL cancelled my booked cruise, due to pulling out of Houston and then AGAIN when my replacement cruise was cancelled due to a Sixth Man music charter.  Thin in itself was a bit confusing and irritating.  

But I did exactly as you describe. I did not CHANGE my booking. I created a whole new booking. New confirmation number and everything. And then, mysteriously, my 10% discount just dropped off the booking a few hours later in the day. This is why I am in terror about upgrading my drink package if/when this 10% discount thing gets resolved. Then I really WILL be making changes to my booking and I am worried this whole thing is just going to start all over again.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

In a worst case scenario, you could always dispute the difference with your credit card company. You have plenty of proof showing that you had an initial price that was changed without notice and have made plenty of efforts to contact MSC via various methods.