Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

10 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Right.  Because the Infinite Veranda has been so popular over at Celebrity that they have decided to duplicate it here?  I don't think the brain trust at Royal always hits it out of the ballpark.

Well if you ask me, their market research has shown that the infinite verandas are popular to a point, but are not popular enough to justify using the concept in place of all the balcony cabins. Therefore, they've gone with a combination on Icon.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

You don't have to be.  I'm 72yrs young and I love everything about her.  I intend to dangle from the anchor and ride every slide I can haul my big azz up to!  I will love sitting at the bar in the swim up pool!  Love looking at the aft wake from the Hideaway!  Or sit in my Panoramic View cabin and just watch Big Blue without the wind and humidity!   I love the placement of the mostly kiddy corner in Boardwalk so I don't ever have to go there unless I want to.  I love the new Aquatheater concept because its covered from the weather, shows will not have to be cancelled and in the daytime whilst the kiddies are in Boardwalk, I can be in here!  I love that they still have an all adults pool topside...still have a Diamond lounge, still have Central Park with all the birds and trees whilst listening to a string ensemble,  and I still get to watch my fave ice shows!  And I'm so excited to experience the new propulsion system and happy they have utilized new technology to get pristine water out of sewage!  Woohoo!  Can't wait to hear what kind of new and innovative entertainment will be added!

It's obvious to me they are trying to accommodate every demographic.  You can chill out and move slow in plenty of spots on this ship and be perfectly happy if you are no longer active.   I'm thrilled with it!  Can't wait till Monday evening to really explore all my options!  Kudos to some very inventive designers RCCL!  The truly "ship is the destination" !

Nice!! The ships have been the destination for me for quite some time, and I rarely get off the ship any more in the Caribbean. I really don't care where they go. I am looking forward to experiencing this ship.

6 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I'll put my money on this!

I like this a lot. I was not a fan of the "thrill ride" idea, but I LOVE that it will lead to an area from the Promenade with ocean views. Seems like the Pearl Cafe will replace Cafe Promenade. I'm good with that.

3 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Interesting perspective, but as you own say: Oasis+ size vessels are size limited to certain ports, so no natural place for far more of them. 3-4 night cruises on Oasis class? Maybe, but I'm not envisioning it by the norm.

Allure starts 3/4 cruises from Port Canaveral next October. I cannot wait to have an Oasis class on short trips.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Nice!! The ships have been the destination for me for quite some time, and I rarely get off the ship any more in the Caribbean. I really don't care where they go. I am looking forward to experiencing this ship.

For Caribbean, I'm with you. Western Mediterranean, yeah, probably.

For most of the rest of the world (for now), itinerary trumps ship. For Eastern Med or Baltic, Voyager class might be the largest some ports can take. Northern Norway or Panama Canal, it's Radiance class. A dream Trans-Pacific will continue to be limited to Radiance class unless the popular destinations back off their 2500 passenger max. etc.

I'm sure that over time, some of the popular ports in the more "exotic" itineraries will build out for larger cruise ships just as the Caribbean has done over the years, but until then...

At this point, we are sort of alternating. Caribbean for ship, then one for itinerary (some being river cruises).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

For Caribbean, I'm with you. Western Mediterranean, yeah, probably.

For most of the rest of the world (for now), itinerary trumps ship. For Eastern Med or Baltic, Voyager class might be the largest some ports can take. Northern Norway or Panama Canal, it's Radiance class. A dream Trans-Pacific will continue to be limited to Radiance class unless the popular destinations back off their 2500 passenger max. etc.

I'm sure that over time, some of the popular ports in the more "exotic" itineraries will build out for larger cruise ships just as the Caribbean has done over the years, but until then...

At this point, we are sort of alternating. Caribbean for ship, then one for itinerary (some being river cruises).

Yeah absolutely. Anything across the pond, our even outside the standard Eastern/Western/Southern Caribbean, would have me eyeballing the itinerary. The Med/Baltic is something I am hoping for later next year. I have to stop being such a baby when it comes to flying. UGH.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

Well if you ask me, their market research has shown that the infinite verandas are popular to a point, but are not popular enough to justify using the concept in place of all the balcony cabins. Therefore, they've gone with a combination on Icon.

If you read the Celebrity board on here, I don't think they're popular at all.  It's more like people don't have much choice if they want to book a balcony cabin on a new Edge class ship.  I haven't seen any other cruise line copy this idea, so maybe not such the great innovation that Celebrity and now Royal think it is?  But at least people will have options with Icon.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

If you read the Celebrity board on here, I don't think they're popular at all.  It's more like people don't have much choice if they want to book a balcony cabin on a new Edge class ship.  I haven't seen any other cruise line copy this idea, so maybe not such the great innovation that Celebrity and now Royal think it is?  But at least people will have options with Icon.

I think you are putting too much stock in what you read on Cruise Critic. 

Kind of like how Twitter ≠ real life.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

3-4 night cruises on Oasis class? Maybe, but I'm not envisioning it by the norm.

Already announced and able to be booked.  Allure is doing 3/4 day sailings from Port Canaveral from November 2023 to April 2024

Didn't read far enough ahead to see that this had been mentioned

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheHawk1 said:

If you read the Celebrity board on here

Which we know to be the end all in opinion don't we.  I've watched tons of You Tube reviews that say they are quite popular not to mention my own on Edge last year.  I'm not worried at all, I'd book one in a blink.  I loved all the automatic window blinds and so forth. And not having to deal with humidity.  But thank goodness there ARE those other options.  Personally, as I said earlier, we're going for the Panoramic cabin with fixed floor to ceiling on ICON.

Edited by BecciBoo

14 hours ago, kruzerci said:

You aren’t the only one allowed an opinions. Ever noticed the name of the site? Go refresh yourself on it. 

It’s perfectly fine for people to acknowledge they missed the mark on a lot of aspects and overhyped something. Nobody’s saying it’s a piece of junk, it’s just not what was expected. 

I'm not sure what you or others were expecting then.  They will build for where the money is, and that is that 30-50 year age group, makes solid business sense all around.  They have to maintain a new core base each year otherwise the brand suffers/dies as the older people are no longer able to cruise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

MSC will have those "infinity" rooms either on their World class, starting in such a month from now. But they'll go without a fake balcony. Basically you'll have a classic hotel room inside a cruise ship with a floor to ceiling window. I believe this model should be popular enough to attract a good load of individuals, at least those ones whom wish for more daily useable real estate, while enjoying the sea view. In a medium time frame, as far design evolves that will pave the way for a much deserved and dreamed larger cruise ship cabin bathrooms and better storage arrangements. I'm in for the concept if done right.

• Like 2

I suppose that I am okay with the dome shape. I was hoping that it wouldn't be 'so round' as my son puts it. 😄 Maybe they could have flattened it slightly on top or the edge.  I would have been okay with an almost rectangle dome.

I am not an artist. 🙄 Forgive the bad examples here:
942361536_Potentialdomeshapes1.thumb.jpg.7a90b5c1b80a794abf13c76b832585f9.jpg

My son wanted them to go really 'futuristic' with something like this stadium design that he found (and had to alter because it had an open roof)!!! Maybe too wild for me. 😄

320668591_Potentialdomeshapes5.jpg.12d783d300b3d9a54ec3d24feccd7b16.jpg

Edited by Tough as Leather
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

I suppose that I am okay with the dome shape

I think it looks nice and will most likely continue to grow on some of us. I do like the creation of those Panoramic View Cabins that will have part of the dome as their ocean view. One thing I did not see in the rendering and previews is an opening and access to over the Bridge Wings. Doesn’t look like she will have any open deck space up front and over the Bridge.