Love Bugs Infest the Harmony at Port Canaveral

11 hours ago, Sloryd66 said:

We save our used dryer sheets leading up to the two "seasons"....helps scrub them off our cars. 

+ 1 on the dryer sheets :classic_biggrin: Then the lovebugs will leave and the blind mosquitoes will begin (a leaf blower works to get them off the balcony).

https://youtu.be/XXnnKngQTKs

• Like 1

We are driving to Florida today. How far down into Florida do the bugs start? 

We’ve had experience with these bugs before, but not as bad as people are reporting. We have a variety of  supplies in our trunk to help prevent or to clean  up. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

10 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We’ve had experience with these bugs before, but not as bad as people are reporting. We have a variety of  supplies in our trunk to help prevent or to clean  up. 

No idea about over on the I95 side but my experience is you start running into them a little south of Valdosta Ga on 75.

Thanks. Driving south on I95 and already have  a few as we hit the GA welcome center.   

Lots more now and will pull over soon to clean the windshield. Glad CC folks  gave us the heads up and we are prepared. 

M

On 5/6/2019 at 8:18 PM, taxatty said:

If you're driving down to Florida this time of year, to help with the love bugs, spray your front bumper and grill, any other exposed surfaces on the front of your car except the windshield and the front of your rear view mirrors with Pam or something similar, and buy one of the hooked-on screens that attach to the front of your car. They're sold on Amazon and in many Florida gas stations and auto-supply stores. Then run your vehicle through a serious car wash when you arrive or leave. The Florida Turnpike's service plazas also have drive-through water spray stations to wash the bugs off.

I sprayed pam one year. make sure you get if off ASAP. I did not. Left it on for three days but sprayed water on to remove the bugs. The pam dried and did not come off. Had to take it to have a professional remove the pam. best think. Every day, power was it at the car was.

One of the joys of living in Florida! NOT!!!! Harmless, but annoying. When the palmetto berries are ripe is another wonderful time. The mockingbirds eat them in droves, then you have purple poop splotches and palmetto seeds EVERYWHERE!

On 5/7/2019 at 8:02 PM, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

This is going to bug a lot of passengers.

Then again...Captain Johnny can feed his parrot 24/7.

Parrots won't eat them...and in fact no critter or bird will (due to acid in bodies).  No natural enemies except your car.  😉 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 9:26 AM, cruisegirl1 said:

M

They are all over the entire state.  We just came from the west end of the Florida Panhandle, through central Florida and are back home near PC, ran into them the whole way.  They are swarming EVERYWHERE!  Ughh.!!!!  😝

Edited by island lady

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Parrots won't eat them...and in fact no critter or bird will (due to acid in bodies).  No natural enemies except your car.  😉 

When I spoke to CJ a few years back...he told me "that parrot will eat almost anything...from cake to who know's what". So who knows... 🤣

4 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

When I spoke to CJ a few years back...he told me "that parrot will eat almost anything...from cake to who know's what". So who knows... 🤣

If those annoying swarms came at his poor Parrot...he/she would probably fly away in fear.  😵  Kind of like a bird version of the movie "Birds"....I should think.  Like those crows lining up on the telephone line before they came at you.  😲

Edited by island lady

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

If those annoying swarms came at his poor Parrot...he/she would probably fly away in fear.  😵  Kind of like a bird version of the movie "Birds"....I should think.  Like those crows lining up on the telephone line before they came at you.  😲

My guess was if he grabbed one and ate it...the Parrot would follow...after all...he's a Parrot. 🤣

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, islandwannabee said:

I live on the west coast of florida, and you cannot even get to the grocery store and back before you get at least 50 of them plastered to your car. It does seem more extreme this year, than others.

For some reason they've avoided North Fl away from the beach areas.  Unusual not to have to buy the auto grill bug remover stuff this year. 

Was hoping all the ships would just cart them out to sea so they drown and don't come back.

We live about 25 min south of Port Canaveral. Have not seen any love bugs for 2 days so hopefully, worse is over. At least until early September😂

Sherri🙂