Love Bugs Infest the Harmony at Port Canaveral

Welcome to Florida!  They have been more prolific this year for some reason.  Annoying, but harmless, unless you're a car.  The bug remnants in your grill after even a short drive will digest your paint job.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Been there on ship when the bugs are out.  Once the ship starts moving, they will go away.  Wait to you hear people returning from certain excursions and want money back because of the bugs.

It's their mating season.  Let them enjoy themselves.lol

• Like 5

They are cyclical.   They become prolific every 6 or 7 years.  Not something I want hear when we are driving form NE Florida to Miami for a cruise in a couple of weeks.

They esp. like to hang around roadways as they are attracted to the exhaust of motor vehicles (can't remember if it is the carbon monoxide, or something else)

Love bugs, I do not miss. Neighbors probably thought I was crazy cleaning the front of my car every day after getting home from work. Or maybe there were other reasons they thought that. 😅

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I rode my motorcycle on some back west of Daytona Beach and my bike, my helmet, and my glasses were covered in them. It only lasts for a few weeks until they make a comeback in late September. 

Actually, early September. We usually drive to FL each Sept. and I have sprayed the front of the car with WD-40 to help them slide off........

• Like 3

So is this common to happen at this early May time frame every year? We'll be on HOTS out of PC next May 3rd and have never seen or heard about these before.

There was a bug lady at the embarkation door who promptly swept away the little critters following people onto the ship. At times, as fast as she swept, more love bugs came in. 

We’ve been underway for three hours and our balcony is still has the critters. They’ll make a new home in Nassau in the morning. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you're driving down to Florida this time of year, to help with the love bugs, spray your front bumper and grill, any other exposed surfaces on the front of your car except the windshield and the front of your rear view mirrors with Pam or something similar, and buy one of the hooked-on screens that attach to the front of your car. They're sold on Amazon and in many Florida gas stations and auto-supply stores. Then run your vehicle through a serious car wash when you arrive or leave. The Florida Turnpike's service plazas also have drive-through water spray stations to wash the bugs off.

• Like 1

It’s common in Florida, May and September.  This happens to be a heavy year.  We left Port Everglades on Sat., by the time we got home our car looked like we escaped a murder scene.  A thick coat of wax to protect the paint helps.  

Snakes, cockroaches, palm rats, gators and love bugs, welcome to Florida.

I remember driving to port from Disney in 2001 this time of year. It looked like it was raining bugs.When we dropped off the rental at Hertz all of the cars returning were a mess. It did look like a murder scene. At least they weren't on the ship. 

I always remember my very first time in Florida from the UK about 18 years ago , never heard of these things but boy, were we covered in them walking round the Disney parks, I had to keep taking my daughter out her stroller to empty them out of it LOL, they were in their thousands and everywhere, that was an interesting trip I can tell you

Yep as a long time Floridian, Early may and Early September you always see them.  Sometimes there aren't many of them and barely notice them, other times they are out of control.   This year is closer to the heavy side (although not the worst I've seen)  They will be gone in about two or three weeks.