Cross body purse / money belt

erby2283

Going on my first Mediterranean cruise and just want to be safe with my belongings after reading so many stories about travelers and pickpocketers. 

Can you you post a picture or a link to your favorite cross body purse (or any other type of purse you recommend) or money belt or whatever it is you use? I'll only be carrying a little cash for tips (excursions or food) my ID, and either my camera or phone (for taking pictures). 

I love the Baggallini cross-body bags.  There are different types available on Amazon or on the Baggallini site.  I purchased mine at Pike Place Market in Seattle.  The company was started by two flight attendants who knew what was needed for a female traveller.  Have a great trip!

• Like 1

There are some that have wires in the strap so it can't be a quick "cut and snatch".

We haven't used them, but have considered it.

I *always* carry my purse with at shorter strap/handle, one that fits such that the purse sits between my upper arm and side of my upper torso.  And I usually have the hand on that side holding on to the front of the strap, keeping it all very close to my body.

Nothing "flapping around".

GC

I have all 3 of these, alternating depending on the day’s activities, outfit, etc. All slash proof with locking zippers. 

Backpack that holds DSLR, good for heavy daytime touristing. Is small/slim enough that I can usually keep it on in museums without guards saying anything. https://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Womens-Anti-Theft-Tailored-Backpack/dp/B06XBM54TF/ref=asc_df_B06XC2C9X5/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312142460825&hvpos=1o7&hvnetw=g&hvrand=805323852318785871&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031344&hvtargid=pla-377919640279&th=1

More for a night out; smaller like an evening bag (would only hold point + shoot camera, not a DSLR). I also bought a cute chain strap on Amazon to make it a little dressier. https://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Anti-Theft-Tailored-Convertible-Crossbody/dp/B06XC3MZJD/ref=sr_1_44?crid=2G8ST2CRES4UH&keywords=travelon%2Banti%2Btheft%2Bcrossbody%2Bbag&qid=1558412319&s=gateway&sprefix=Travelon%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-44&th=1

Also good for day if you want a purse rather than backpack; holds my DSLR. https://ardencove.com/collections/anti-theft-waterproof-collection/products/full-size-anti-theft-waterproof-travel-crossbody

• Like 1

17 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I love the Baggallini cross-body bags.  There are different types available on Amazon or on the Baggallini site.  I purchased mine at Pike Place Market in Seattle.  The company was started by two flight attendants who knew what was needed for a female traveller.  Have a great trip!

I also love the Baggalini cross-body bags!  I like a really small purse, and one of their models exactly fits my needs.

• Like 1

I have used a neck back that hangs underneath our clothes for years.   Keeps cash, cc's, and passport.  We always keep cc's in tow different places.   Available in all travel stores. Washable.

I've got a few cross-bodies from Sherpani.  Look at their website.  They do not scream "tourist".  I actually use them year-round as my daily purse.  Right now, I have the Tempest as my everyday bag and the Simplicity if I need just something to throw my wallet and glasses in.  

I also just found this cool thing called a Bandi.  The website is bandiwear.com.  It's a waist bag, but it is colorful and doesn't look like a waist pack.  I bought it to wear when I trail run and don't want to take my full Mountain Hardware bag.  I'm taking it to Florida for my vacation - it'll work great when I'm running or lounging on the beach.  If I was touring somewhere and wearing a jacket, I'd use it as it certainly doesn't look like a waist bag a tourist would have!

image.png.0799e5a52b7559c576fd11a3e8a50087.pngI ordered this one from Vera Bradley for our upcoming Alaska cruise.  I really like the RFID part!  I got it during a sale so I did not spend quite that much...But the brand came highly recommended by several friends.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 12:20 AM, GlennaRoseGoes said:

I have all 3 of these, alternating depending on the day’s activities, outfit, etc. All slash proof with locking zippers. 

Backpack that holds DSLR, good for heavy daytime touristing. Is small/slim enough that I can usually keep it on in museums without guards saying anything. https://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Womens-Anti-Theft-Tailored-Backpack/dp/B06XBM54TF/ref=asc_df_B06XC2C9X5/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312142460825&hvpos=1o7&hvnetw=g&hvrand=805323852318785871&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031344&hvtargid=pla-377919640279&th=1

More for a night out; smaller like an evening bag (would only hold point + shoot camera, not a DSLR). I also bought a cute chain strap on Amazon to make it a little dressier. https://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Anti-Theft-Tailored-Convertible-Crossbody/dp/B06XC3MZJD/ref=sr_1_44?crid=2G8ST2CRES4UH&keywords=travelon%2Banti%2Btheft%2Bcrossbody%2Bbag&qid=1558412319&s=gateway&sprefix=Travelon%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-44&th=1

Also good for day if you want a purse rather than backpack; holds my DSLR. https://ardencove.com/collections/anti-theft-waterproof-collection/products/full-size-anti-theft-waterproof-travel-crossbody

I like the idea of a smaller backpack (mostly bc I usually carry a backpack in general on cruises) but am just thinking out loud....we are doing a lot of excursions in vans and would have to hold the bag in my lap the whole time when sitting whereas a cross body is something that would just lay there. Same thing if we stop to eat somewhere. I couldn't sit back in the chair and eat and even though it has the strap to attach to a chair, not sure how comfortable I would feel about that.

Thoughts anyone?

TBH...I think maintaining situational awareness is sufficient to do the trick.

Went with my fam and our friends on a Med cruise also, spent about a week in Venice, Florence, and Rome beforehand. We're Chinese, so it's not like we're going to be able to somehow convince whatever local pickpockets that we weren't tourists. Didn't have any secret purses or money belts, did have a bag that I wore slung to the side. Didn't get any pickpockets.

One of the other families who traveled with us, on the other hand, got tagged like multiple times.

No photo description available.

In short in matters of travel, through air and sea or on the land, I am the very model of a modern Asian tourist man

If you're a guy (or can wear guy pants), 5.11 makes these tactical pants that have a kind of secret pocket along where the knees are.

https://www.511tactical.com/covert-khaki-pants.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, erby2283 said:

I like the idea of a smaller backpack (mostly bc I usually carry a backpack in general on cruises) but am just thinking out loud....we are doing a lot of excursions in vans and would have to hold the bag in my lap the whole time when sitting whereas a cross body is something that would just lay there. Same thing if we stop to eat somewhere. I couldn't sit back in the chair and eat and even though it has the strap to attach to a chair, not sure how comfortable I would feel about that.

Thoughts anyone?

I'm not a fan of the backpack.   You need to take it off to be comfortable to sit and if you need to get something out of it; and you always need to be careful not to hit others with it when wearing it.   Plus a backpack is ripe for pickpocketing.  

I bought my first crossbody handbag for going to Paris in 2012 and haven't gone back to a regular handbag since then.  I like begin "hands free"  especially when traveling when I need both hands for luggage, documents etc.  Also in crowded situations,  I make sure it's in front of me (never behind) and I'll rest my hand on my bag for a little extra protection/piece of mind.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 9:12 AM, erby2283 said:

Thoughts anyone?

Mine (the link I posted) is small enough that I just put it between by feet on the floor (or even lay it flat in my lap like a regular purse) in a car/van.

Someone else mentioned backpacks are ripe for pickpockets; again, that’s why I use this one that clips shut and is slash proof.

I have no issue clipping it to a chair. If someone doesn’t see that it’s attached (and I think a professional would notice because they are constanly scanning for the easiest target), a light tug will alert you......your purse isn’t going anywhere but maybe your chair will move a bit. I’ve never had this happen. Can also clip so it inside the chair and you are leaning with your back against it. Again, I do not find this uncomfortable. It’s less uncomfortable that loosing my stuff. 

On 5/21/2019 at 3:43 PM, HerbertandB said:

I have a couple of Bagalinni crossbody handbags.  For travel, I prefer one that has a zipper plus a flap.  Similar to this one:  https://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/flip-zip-crossbody/356671?productid=10628273

TJ Maxx usually has a selection of Bagalinni's.

I too love my Bagalinni for travel. I keep my credit card (and passport if needed) in my passport wallet word inside my shirt, crossbody. Extra cash and credit cards (and usually passport) remain in my hotel or stateroom safe.

I rely on a few simple precautions and situational awareness rather than purses or bags with security features. I've been pickpocketed before, in Barcelona (a thriving center for such thievery) and have read from and learned from reports of many others here on CC through the years....

I would not ever use a backpack unless it was one with security features OR you carry it front-wise in any city situation, including on public transport.  Cross-body bags have worked very well for me. I normally carry it with the bag on my left side and in any crowded situation I generally rest my left hand gently on top of the zipper.

I travel solo, so I can't rely on anyone else to divide up valuables with. I always leave some cash, one debit card (I travel with two) and at least one credit card in my hotel or on the ship. What I carry with me and is in a very small wallet that is zipped into a security "pocket" that can be attached to a belt (or pinned to your pants or skirt) and then worn INSIDE. I may keep a few dollars in a zipped inner compartment in the cross-body bag if I know I'll need it quickly -- e.g., for bus fare, admission, etc. This is for city use or places where I know there are lots of pickpockets.

In places where it is a bit less of a risk, I will pin that security "pocket" into the zipped compartment of my purse as an alternative (makes the money easier to access and still very secure from a pickpocket, but doesn't guard against a bag cutter/snatcher).

For a bag, I generally look for one that is moderately stylish but also lightweight and at least somewhat waterproof. My favorite right now is a Mandarina Duck (Italian brand) with a cross body strap made out of material that looks like a seat belt. (Broad straps are much more comfortable than thin ones.) . I also like Kipling, particularly for more casual destinations, and I have used Sherpani as well.

For the person who mentioned secret pockets at the knee of pants -- these may work well as long as they are truly "invisible" -- however, I have read here on at least 3 occasions reports of guys who had valuables taken from zipped or buttoned pockets on cargo pants/shorts at the knee.

I was aware of pickpockets and how they use distractions like 2 people arguing, or targeting people intent on getting that great vacation photo in Barcelona.  I was not aware of the following bird crap scam which I (along with others I met) fell victim to -

Walking to our hotel down a pedestrian lane with our luggage and a shoulder bag, I felt something wet hit my hand, I'm thinking a bird aimed at me and hit its target.  I'm cleaning my hand when a local comes up to me and points to my back with a Kleenex and I discover more crap on my shirt.  Another guy offers some water from an almost empty bottle to wash off the stuff.   I put down my shoulder bag and open my open my luggage to get a clean shirt out and walk just a few steps across the lane to toss my soiled shirt in a convenient garbage can.  When I come back and lock my luggage I realized my bag and the perps were gone.  It immediately hit me that I was set up by someone tossing crap at my back.

I had moments of disbelief during the scam , but I ignored them - we had just debarked the ship and taxied to near the hotel at 9AM, and had no coffee yet.  For all I know the taxi driver who dropped us off and refused to drive into the Gothic District to our hotel was in on the ruse.   Later on, as we did our scheduled tours we met others who were victimized the same way, and several tour guides said that was the inventive way that petty crime was evolving.

I wound up losing my medicines and toiletries, a phone, a kindle, binoculars, polarized sunglasses, reading glasses, a small ring, keys to my house and car, and some chargers.  Luckily, I did not need a prescription to get replacement heart and BP meds from a pharmacia.  We also immediately cancelled the phone and kindle (and Amazon) accounts.

I'm only posting this so others who may not have heard of this ploy might be prepared if something similar happens to them. 

Edited by evandbob

I wanted to come back and comment on the Bandi waist pack that I bought and took on my trip to Florida.  It was PERFECT for using when I went to the beach.  It has a padded section big enough to put my iPhone SE, a spot for my ID and a few $$, and a little spot for my cottage key and lip balm.  It felt like nothing on me.  It doesn't stick out like a typical bum bag  (only as thick as your phone)- from the front it looks more like a colorful yoga pant waistband.  If I went somewhere and was wearing a jacket, I'd feel just fine using it.   Just something different to think of than the typical security waist or neck bag.  

As for the daypack - I wouldn't use it on my back.  I would use it more like a sling - on one shoulder toward the front.   Any bag I have with me, when I stop and sit down somewhere, I always put one of my legs through the strap and sit the bag on my foot, if I can't hold it.   Yes, even in the US, even in my hometown, I do this.  

• Like 2

I bought this purse a few months ago and love it. Not to big or small. Room for sunglasses or water bottles on the sides, the zippers can lock into place, RFID protection. You can dress either classy or casual and it looks great either way.

https://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Anti-Theft-Cross-Body-Bucket-Black/dp/B00C75L4O2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2FLZXXSJ2NUQB&keywords=travelon+anti+theft+crossbody+bag&qid=1559519020&s=gateway&sprefix=Travelo%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-3