Pinnacle Grill for lunch?

kaymoz

I read somewhere that the Pinnacle Grill serves lunch for a cover of $10, rather than the $35 charge at dinner.  We thought we'd try both, but I wonder if anyone can tell us how things work for lunch there?

My online HAL account provides a spot for me to reserve a dinner time, but I found nothing about lunch.  (We will sail on Prinsendam.)

I think lunch in the Pinnacle Grill is one of the best bargains on the ship.   A quiet lunch with excellent service away from the hubbub of the Lido.  What is not to like?

How does it work?  Make a reservation when you board, and appear at the appointed time.  You will be seated and enjoy a great lunch.  Highly recommended. 

• Like 3

We love lunch at the Pinnacle.  The menu is a decent lunch menu and the food excellent.  In fact we enjoy lunch much more then dinners.  My suggestion is that on one of the very early days of your cruise you just stop by the Pinnacle and ask them what days they will be open for lunch.  The person at the door will have the schedule.  While it is not normally open on port days there are some exceptions which happens when they are bringing some VIPs aboard for lunch and just open the Pinnacle for anyone else.

Hank

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We love lunch at the Pinnacle.  The menu is a decent lunch menu and the food excellent.  In fact we enjoy lunch much more then dinners.  My suggestion is that on one of the very early days of your cruise you just stop by the Pinnacle and ask them what days they will be open for lunch.  The person at the door will have the schedule.  While it is not normally open on port days there are some exceptions which happens when they are bringing some VIPs aboard for lunch and just open the Pinnacle for anyone else.

Hank

+1    Pinnacle Lunch is a great deal we try to go at least twice per cruise, depending on openings.  Have found lunch offered on some port days (usually on heavy port intensive itineraries) but as Hlitner notes just check once aboard.  I would also book early as later in the cruise the secret is out 😉   No cost to cancel

Edited by sfocruiser
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Been There, Planning That said:

We too enjoy Pinnacle lunches. On our winter Volendam cruise it was easy to book on line as only the open dates were listed.  Unlike dinner reservations, no reminder is sent.

Ruth

Best to write down ALL your specialty dining reservations, as some reminders will inevitably fall through the cracks, as we have experienced on several ships.

1 minute ago, SilvertoGold said:

Best to write down ALL your specialty dining reservations, as some reminders will inevitably fall through the cracks, as we have experienced on several ships.

I agree; I just added them to that new cruise planner we rec'd for the first time.

Ruth

11 minutes ago, Been There, Planning That said:

We too enjoy Pinnacle lunches. On our winter Volendam cruise it was easy to book on line as only the open dates were listed.  Unlike dinner reservations, no reminder is sent.

Ruth

Really strange ... We were on the Volendam for the 30-day Incan Empires cruise (I think we were on the same cruise) and we definitely could not book before getting onboard and received confirmation and reminders for every Pinnacle Grill lunch.  We had lunch there on most of the sea days. 

In fact, on all our HAL cruises we have never been able to pre-book Pinnacle Grill lunches EXCEPT when doing so as part of a group.

Edited by taxmantoo

Just now, taxmantoo said:

Really strange ... We were on the Volendam for the 30-day Incan Empires cruise (I think we were on the same cruise) and we definitely could not book before getting onboard and received confirmation and reminders for every Pinnacle Grill lunch.  We had lunch there on most of the sea days. 

Guess I wasn't clear.  I booked ONCE on board and like you we had lunch there on most sea days.  We usually do Pinnacle bookings once on board, especially lunch ones.

That was one great cruise.

Ruth

• Like 1

HAL can be inconsistent from ship to ship.  I have learned to be really open about how things are done.  Much is done differently, depending on who is in charge.

The new cruise planner is quite a good addition.  I wrote down and highlighted much on it. It was helpful in a lot of ways, like advance notice of Gala Nights, Sel, Cellarmaster Dinners, etc

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1

If you receive a PG Lunch as a perk from your travel agent, you will be assigned a date and time and the card will be in your cabin when you board.   If you want to change that reservation, do it quickly.  If you wait until later in your cruise, you may be told they are all booked up.  

Highlight items on the menu...... the Crab Cakes and the Pinnacle Grill Burger.  Delish !!! 

You can stop by practically anytime and make reservations.  There is usually someone in there all the time, every day.

They are normally open on sea days with the same hours as the Main Dining Room.

We love the Pinnacle Grill for lunch, in fact prefer it over dinner there.  And while they are usually only open on sea days we have had a few port lunches there.  I remember it pouring rain in Sitka sitting in the PG at lunch enjoying the view.  Beautiful. 

12 hours ago, kaymoz said:

We will sail on Prinsendam.)

I join with the others in saying that the PG lunch is a real treat.

We just got off the Prinsendam on May 6th and the PG lunch was as it always is there - top notch 🙂 

I posted pics from our lunch and comments on my live thread at the time 🙂 

It is really a nice time and a good treat.  Go for it !

2 hours ago, JudithLynne said:

Love the PG for lunch.  Anyone know what hours they are open or take reservations?

On the Konigsdam and Nieuw Statendam, there is a podium in the hallway near the PG with someone available during the day until 5:00 PM to take reservations for all Specialty Restaurants.

Edited by Crew News