Are my friends banned from Norwegian for life?

A few years back some friends of mine were caught with marijuana on a Norwegian ship, and they were put off the ship at the next port. Having learned a valuable and expensive lesson, would they ever be allowed to sail on Norwegian again? Thank you!!

@Kruzin Karen They would have been told at them time and would have received a letter. Do they not remember? Or are you asking because you don't have all of the details? I have an acquaintance that was part of a group that was debarked early. They were told verbally, fined, and received a letter from NCL stating they were on something like a Do Not Sail list.

Edited by JennyB1977

1 hour ago, Kruzin Karen said:

A few years back some friends of mine were caught with marijuana on a Norwegian ship, and they were put off the ship at the next port. Having learned a valuable and expensive lesson, would they ever be allowed to sail on Norwegian again? Thank you!!

Funny how times change. With the constant haze of blue smoke over Seattle and Vancouver now it is a wonder half the ships that leave there aren't full of stoned passengers just from breathing the air.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stormynow said:

Call NCL and ask.

The people who may have been banned would need to call NCL, no way would NCL tell someone calling just out of curiosity. Hopefully, the offenders know the answer.

If it were me, I'd just bring it up in conversation.."hey, there's a great cruise coming up on NCL, wanna book it?" 

Bet that would get an answer. 

3 minutes ago, Birdie And Sue said:

"Your friend" should talk to NCL.  No one here can give you anything close to an official answer.  Hopefully you (oops your friend) learned that breaking the law on a cruise ship is not a wise thing to do.

Why do you assume she isn’t asking for a friend?

• Like 5

No, It wasn't us!! We are booked on the Bliss for an Alaskan cruise in June, and hoped to offer to take them. I'm also not "just curious." We had hoped to invite them to join us, but it seems cruel to offer a cruise to someone only to find out they're not allowed on the ship. Thanks for the info! I'll go with the "want to book a great cruise?" response.

Edited by Kruzin Karen
punctuation
  • Like 3

I recently saw the TSA is now allowing air passengers to fly with substances derived from the marijuana plant.  I'm assuming that means I can technically fly from Newark to Miami with weed.  Now....I wouldn't be so stupid to fly with "weed", but perhaps some edible gummies or maybe a vape pen that happens to be filled with THC may slip into my carry on bag?  I might possibly want to partake in these activities on my balcony.  You honestly think that NCL will know that I may or may not be in possession of such substances that are now legal in how many states?  I'm sure that there's no law against it Honduras or Belize, let alone Mexico....How can they possibly ban someone for such a small offense. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

I recently saw the TSA is now allowing air passengers to fly with substances derived from the marijuana plant.  I'm assuming that means I can technically fly from Newark to Miami with weed.  Now....I wouldn't be so stupid to fly with "weed", but perhaps some edible gummies or maybe a vape pen that happens to be filled with THC may slip into my carry on bag?  I might possibly want to partake in these activities on my balcony.  You honestly think that NCL will know that I may or may not be in possession of such substances that are now legal in how many states?  I'm sure that there's no law against it Honduras or Belize, let alone Mexico....How can they possibly ban someone for such a small offense. 

The ship is going to a foreign country aka Canada!! 

You can carry weed or drugs when flying within US, but NOT overseas!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Don’t fly with it.  If you drive, take a train, ride a bus, etc., no one cares.  Bring your CBD and edibles.  The dock dogs in the US don’t hit on marijuana ... too many “sits” on tourists.  I would leave the vape at home due to fire hazard.  Whatever you do ... do not take it ashore once onboard.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

Don’t fly with it.  If you drive, take a train, ride a bus, etc., no one cares.  Bring your CBD and edibles.  The dock dogs in the US don’t hit on marijuana ... too many “sits” on tourists.  I would leave the vape at home due to fire hazard.  Whatever you do ... do not take it ashore once onboard.

I actually don't have plans to bring anything with me.  The drink package is enough damage for me for the week! 🙂

Just weird how weed is such an insignificant drug in the grand scheme of things, and from what OP said, it doesn't seem like it was enough to be considered "trafficking"....

3 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

I actually don't have plans to bring anything with me.  The drink package is enough damage for me for the week! 🙂

Just weird how weed is such an insignificant drug in the grand scheme of things, and from what OP said, it doesn't seem like it was enough to be considered "trafficking"....

Those folks were probably smoking it like a bunch of rubes.  Discretion lacking.

• Like 1

FWIW, last year we did Alaska, sailing from Seattle - legal weed in both states.  I was super curious, couldn’t imagine being somewhere it was legal...and I asked on these boards, naively “since it’s legal in port, isn’t it legal aboard?”  The answers were a resounding NO.  I was told cruise terminals are federal property, federal laws apply, and once you are in the terminal area it doesn’t matter that it’s legal outside the terminal.  

Lots of folks had helpful tips about how to buy ashore and partake at sea, but the advice that did get me was “You are telling someone how to smuggle drugs internationally!”.  ‘Nuff said.  

OP, your friends should ask directly.  Whether or not NCL “should” ban them over some weed is up to NCL.  Right or wrong, they own the ships and get to decide who does and doesn’t get to sail on them.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

Funny how times change. With the constant haze of blue smoke over Seattle and Vancouver now it is a wonder half the ships that leave there aren't full of stoned passengers just from breathing the air.

The smoke is from wildfires. I am sure we  would not mind as much if we received some “benefit” from the smoke.

• Like 3

Cruise ships follow federal law since they're the ones that control the ports of entry to the US. Which is why, or at least one reason why, they're anti pot. 

With regards to flying - even before they officially mentioned it I've known several people that flew with all forms no problem. Not me personally (I always forget when I'm in a state it's legal in lol), but I know they have. 

If you don’t know for certain if they are banned, I don’t think it’s cruel to ask them.  Honestly, given the fact that it was marijuana, and if it’s been a long time since their offense, maybe they can write to ncl to try to appeal the ban if they call ncl directly and are told they are still banned.  

Edited by kitkat343

5 hours ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

The TSA's big announcement is that they will no longer confiscate CBD oil made from hemp.

In legal states, the TSA works with the local law enforcement for minor possession found UNLESS the CBP is involved (international flights). Law enforcement in Los Angeles, for example, won't arrest anyone carrying cannabis, so the TSA here does not detain people with weed. If you're flying from a legal state to another legal state you are probably OK. If you are flying across an international border, the CBP can arrest you for taking a Schedule 1 drug (heroin, LSD, marijuana) OUT of the country. This is true if you are going on land to Canada or Mexico as well. Because cannabis is legal in all of Canada doesn't mean you can carry it over the border into Canada.

• Like 1