Need Cellphone advice because I have to work during Allure cruise 6/16

I am looking for advice regarding cellphone usage for our Allure cruise leaving 6/16.  I have AT&T --iPhone.  I was planning to get the $100 unlimited calls and texts package for the cruise from AT&T.  Then, use the $10 per day International Plan while were are in St Martin and Labadee--I know I can use the phone as normal on San Juan.

What are suggestions for cellphone usage during the cruise?  It stinks to have to work, but it has to happen for me.

I can't speak to the $100 shipboard package, since I'm on Verizon.  But,  we were just on Freedom and I was in a similar situation - or, at least I had to keep in touch.  I had the Key, which includes surf & stream - so while at sea, I put my phone into airplane mode (cellular radio off), then enabled WiFi calling.  In port, I turned off airplane mode (cellular radio back on) and (important!) disabled WiFi calling.

Reception was generally good on the islands, but your mileage may vary depending on what islands you go to.  My experience with WiFi calling over Zoom was mostly positive, but there were some dropouts.

Good luck!         --bruce T.

22 minutes ago, rockwallroses said:

I am looking for advice regarding cellphone usage for our Allure cruise leaving 6/16.  I have AT&T --iPhone.  I was planning to get the $100 unlimited calls and texts package for the cruise from AT&T.  Then, use the $10 per day International Plan while were are in St Martin and Labadee--I know I can use the phone as normal on San Juan.

What are suggestions for cellphone usage during the cruise?  It stinks to have to work, but it has to happen for me.

I do the same as you're doing but I also purchase the onboard Voom/Surf & Stream one device from my cruise planner. Watch for sales and purchase...keep watching prices can vary I purchase this and cancel and repurchase accordingly. I'm happy with $9.99 - $11.99 per day. 

Having both the AT&T cruise package, International Plan and ship internet works out the best for us...no worries regardless of being on land or at sea. 

This allows us to text, call and use our Amazon Firestick without a thought when and where we choose. I have done this on Freedom (Southern Caribbean) and on Vision (Med/Greece) which we just returned from. We had absolutely no over charges and no problems = well worth the upfront costs for us.

Edited by Ashland

27 minutes ago, rockwallroses said:

I would put the $100 towards a voom package and then just enable wifi calling.  You will then be able to make callls and text plus have internet access.  Don't you need to access your emails for work too?  No need for both voom and the at&t package, total waste of money to do both.  The $10 per day plan will cover your port days and then you just use Royal wifi for everything else.

1 minute ago, bayportkat said:

For wifi calling, do you need a special app or does it just work through the phone app on the iPhone?

No app needed.  We just enable wifi calling prior to leaving home.  Once on ship, we put phone in airplane mode and enable wifi.  Log into voom and make calls as usual.

• Like 2

If you don’t need data at the port stops, the cruise package does cover those port stops for calls and texts. You would need to remove the day pass, though, as it will charge you the $10 for any usage. As others have noted, if you are purchasing voom and your phone supports WiFi calling, no need for the cruise package.

3 hours ago, bayportkat said:

For wifi calling, do you need a special app or does it just work through the phone app on the iPhone?

You must have a minimum phone model and minium IOS version.  If you cannot find the setting, contact your cell carrier.

10 minutes ago, rockwallroses said:

Thank you for the advice

The $100 package I am referring to is a package AT&T offers--not RCCL ---that is unlimited calls and texts and certain amount of download MB

Yes, we understand that it is an AT&T package.  It only has 200mb of data, which isn't much.  If you buy a Voom package instead, you will have no limit on anything on the ship.  Just something to think about. 🙂 

1 hour ago, rockwallroses said:

Thank you for the advice

The $100 package I am referring to is a package AT&T offers--not RCCL ---that is unlimited calls and texts and certain amount of download MB

This and the Voom (RCI) package worked great for us. Maybe some think it was unnecessary to spend $$'s on both but for us it was well worth it.

Isn't your AT&T package only for RCI Cellular at sea?  It won't work if you are docked and the ship's Tower is turned off.

Go with Voom and $10/per day at non-US ports.  Just make sure you have WiFi calling!  Test it in airplane mode before you leave.

Enjoy your cruise.

20 hours ago, rockwallroses said:

Thank you for the advice

I just saw one of your other posts, you are staying in an Aqua Suite?  Each person in your cabin gets their own Voom code as part of your Royal Suite benefits so you do not need to buy additional codes and you don't need an AT&T cruise package as long as you have checked that wifi calling works on your phone.  Check out wifi calling on your home network to make sure your phone is compatible.  

On 6/11/2019 at 11:39 AM, reallyitsmema said:

I would put the $100 towards a voom package and then just enable wifi calling.  You will then be able to make callls and text plus have internet access.  Don't you need to access your emails for work too?  No need for both voom and the at&t package, total waste of money to do both.  The $10 per day plan will cover your port days and then you just use Royal wifi for everything else.

AT&T with iPhone and Voom package, that is correct - enable the WiFi calling feature and keep the phone in Airplane Mode when on the ship.  The iPhone will use the ship's WiFi for placing and receiving phone calls.  I have done this on the past 2 cruises.

4 minutes ago, rockwallroses said:

Thanks for the advice.  We tried the airplane mode and made calls to try it over the home WiFi and it worked well.

we are probably over doing it, but if all works well, we can begin cruising again for vacations.

Great!  I am glad you did the test drive at home.  With the free Voom with your cabin, you should be all set.  Each person in the cabin gets a one device code.  It allows you to log in on one device at a time but is not specific to one device so you can use it among all your devices.  You can share codes too so if you need to be on the phone and logged in on a laptop at the same time, use your code on one and one of your cabin mates on another.  Have an awesome cruise!

48 minutes ago, rockwallroses said:

Thanks for the advice.  We tried the airplane mode and made calls to try it over the home WiFi and it worked well.

we are probably over doing it, but if all works well, we can begin cruising again for vacations.

The test drive is important.  Most phones are in "wifi preferred" mode all the time for phone calls, but this has to be set up while you have a cell phone signal.  Once set up it should work later, although our phone sometimes loses this setting.  So when you get onboard turn off your cell signal and log into the ship wifi.  Then make a call (I call wife's phone that is in cell mode). 

On 6/11/2019 at 1:08 PM, rockwallroses said:

My workaholic DH also works during our cruise vacations. He arranges with his employer's IT dept. to set him up for access in the Caribbean. Hope this helps and hope you don't have to work too many hours during your cruise.

Um, you guys you need to press the "reset" button (as in OFF) when you vacation:)

If you really need cell service in port (not just wifi calling on board), look at T-mobile.

Unlimited text and data in over 210 countries.  And 25 cent per minute calling.

And no plan, so you could get it for a month and then cancel.  IF you have an unlocked phone.