Celebrity Infinity - April 16-20, 2020 Cancelled Due to Charter

drewfloyd2002

I just received a call that our cruise on the Infinity April 16-20, 2020 has been cancelled due to the ship being chartered.  Its ridiculous that they cancelled our cruise and offered $100 OBC. 

What about flight cancellations etc.?

Edited by drewfloyd2002

That is a big problem. I’d hate to have made reservations and plans and have this occur. A Pain. But.....Since I assume you got a standard email sent to many, I’d call Celebrity directly, or if you used a TA, call them immediately. Travel Insurance in many cases should cover cancellation fees. There probably isn’t a ton of people with flights yet since many airlines dont have schedules out beyond 330 days prior so many schedules just opened a few weeks ago.

Good luck replanting. Ouch.

Den 

Celebrity is really good about announcing their charters before domestic airline tickets are released for purchase.  I've been booked on 3 sailings that were ultimately chartered and have always been offered alternative sailings plus $100 each ($200 total) plus price protection with equivalent perks of the original booking.  However, the $200 credit was for a longer sailing, not for a 4 night one.  So far, this has worked out very well for us but I do understand your disappointment.  Anyway, if you can show Celebrity confirmation on your airfare, I believe you can negotiate compensation for any change fees that are incurred.  This is why they usually announce these charters prior to those airline schedule releases.  

Just for comparison sake, when we were booked on an NCL cruise that was ultimately canceled, they offered us only $12.50 each in compensation ... and that was for a 14 night sailing.  Again, they notified us ahead of time so no airfare to cancel / rebook.  Needless to say, we didn't take it.  We had ample time to find another sailing that met our criteria.  

• Thanks 1

Who called you?  Were you offered options of cruises you could move to with price protection?  What are they covering for airline change fees?  

We recently had a cruise (not on the a Infinity ) we were booked on chartered.  Our TA called to advise us and we then received a confirming email outlining the cruises we could move to, and what we could expect if we chose a cruise that wasn’t one of the price protected options or if we just cancelled.  Our charter was before air could be booked so that didn’t factor on.

We opted for a price protected cruise.  We ended up with a 9 night cruise for what we were paying for a 7 night and and additional $200 OBC.  So forvus it worked out great.  

I would recommend you get the detail of your option from your TA or Celebrity . 

• Like 1

Infinity seems to be chartered more than other ships these days...short itins? Happened to us a few yrs ago for Infinity Pacific Coastal.

Disappointing....hope OP finds something  to replace it.

Edited by hcat

16 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Celebrity is really good about announcing their charters before domestic airline tickets are released for purchase. 

Missed the mark this time.  Delta offers flights up to May 10th, 2020.  I literally just booked one.

These charters shouldn't be scheduled any less than a year out, IMO.  You can easily be left holding the bag on non-refundable hotels as well. 

15 hours ago, George C said:

Lots of charters on infinity this and next year we are doing one in February music cruise 

Yep -- both of the Smooth Jazz charters are on Infinity, this year -- along with other jazz cruises, chartered by that particular company (sorry, can't name them here, as they are technically the TA's for those cruises).

19 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Celebrity is really good about announcing their charters before domestic airline tickets are released for purchase.

I still don't understand why cruise lines do not contact the companies that regularly charter with them - and other companies known to charter - a couple of months before releasing dates to the public. Saying "These are our dates/itineraries. If you wish to have a full-ship charter, you must contact us to negotiate that by [insert date say 2 weeks before releasing them to the public]. Once the itineraries are released, full-ship charters cannot be accommodated." I find it hard to believe they make more money on charters than they end up paying out in OBC, airfare change fees, etc.

Seems like that is the most fair thing to do. But I'm probably missing something and that's why I'm not an exec on a cruise line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Missed the mark this time.  Delta offers flights up to May 10th, 2020.  I literally just booked one.

These charters shouldn't be scheduled any less than a year out, IMO.  You can easily be left holding the bag on non-refundable hotels as well. 

Believe me, I understand where you are coming from.  Of the sailings that I had booked that were chartered, I only read about a few from the UK had already booked their airfare.  Evidently, their airfares are released prior to domestic flights (that's what I read, not sure if that is accurate).  So, of course, they were understandably irate.  

Also, if you book a domestic flight, you have 24 hrs to cancel it without incurring any fees.  Not sure if that is what you meant by, you literally just booked one.  Even if so, I would think now would be too late.  But, Celebrity has been known to reimburse for these costs provided to supply them with booking confirmations.  I hope, for your sake, they are still doing this.  In the case of hotels, sometimes you can plead your case, even when they are non-refundable.  I booked a hotel in Tahoe that was non-refundable and we were having torrential rainfall, making it hard to get there.  No problem ... I just called and pleaded my case and they made it refundable.  Another friend of mine just booked a non-refundable hotel for attending the Stone's concert when Mick underwent urgent surgery.  She also called the hotel, explained the situation and got her money back.  I guess it is specific to the hotel itself but some will show a great deal of good will.  

My takeaway from having 3 different bookings canceled for charters, I guess I won't be booking any non-refundable air, hotels, tours, etc. that far out when it comes to cruises ... or any other travel, for that matter.  Now, only once I have made my final payment on my cruise will be when I book anything else that is non-refundable.  Sorry again to hear about your disappointment.  

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I still don't understand why cruise lines do not contact the companies that regularly charter with them - and other companies known to charter - a couple of months before releasing dates to the public. Saying "These are our dates/itineraries. If you wish to have a full-ship charter, you must contact us to negotiate that by [insert date say 2 weeks before releasing them to the public]. Once the itineraries are released, full-ship charters cannot be accommodated." I find it hard to believe they make more money on charters than they end up paying out in OBC, airfare change fees, etc.

Seems like that is the most fair thing to do. But I'm probably missing something and that's why I'm not an exec on a cruise line.

I think they must make tons of $$ on those charters.  The money they have to pay out to already booked customers is probably a drop in the bucket compared to what they rake in.  I would be interested to see the average percentage of how many bookings are held on any given cruise a year ahead of time.  And, the OBC is non-refundable so you have to spend it onboard anyway.  The other fees they pay on are probably insignificant.  I think more than any of the fees, OBC, etc is the loss of, what are or would be, loyal customers.  In all three cases of my bookings being canceled, I came out way ahead of the game.  However, two of those bookings were from my home port and one was from LA and since I tend to travel on Southwest for those short flights, I wasn't affected in the very least.  For all those sailings, I was able to transfer my original booking to a much better itinerary.  But again, I understand other's disappointments when their schedule isn't nearly as flexible.  

I think  you  were involved in the Infinity mess a few yrs ago. As we learned  back then it takes a long time for them to finalize the charters...while pax are in left in  total limbo. They also scrapped a whole series of cruises to make the charter for use as a hotel work out, so it must be very lucrative!

We always try to use SW Air domestically  .esp since that is the only real choice at our local airport anyhow.  But we give up  options for non stops on Jet Blue and others from JFK  in exchange for the liberal cancellation policy.  

We never feel secure with any booking til they accept final payment.  Happened to us on Princess but very far ahead and sev times on X.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Believe me, I understand where you are coming from.  Of the sailings that I had booked that were chartered, I only read about a few from the UK had already booked their airfare.  Evidently, their airfares are released prior to domestic flights (that's what I read, not sure if that is accurate).  So, of course, they were understandably irate.  

Also, if you book a domestic flight, you have 24 hrs to cancel it without incurring any fees.  Not sure if that is what you meant by, you literally just booked one.  Even if so, I would think now would be too late.  But, Celebrity has been known to reimburse for these costs provided to supply them with booking confirmations.  I hope, for your sake, they are still doing this.  In the case of hotels, sometimes you can plead your case, even when they are non-refundable.  I booked a hotel in Tahoe that was non-refundable and we were having torrential rainfall, making it hard to get there.  No problem ... I just called and pleaded my case and they made it refundable.  Another friend of mine just booked a non-refundable hotel for attending the Stone's concert when Mick underwent urgent surgery.  She also called the hotel, explained the situation and got her money back.  I guess it is specific to the hotel itself but some will show a great deal of good will.  

My takeaway from having 3 different bookings canceled for charters, I guess I won't be booking any non-refundable air, hotels, tours, etc. that far out when it comes to cruises ... or any other travel, for that matter.  Now, only once I have made my final payment on my cruise will be when I book anything else that is non-refundable.  Sorry again to hear about your disappointment.  

We weren't booked on this chartered cruise, I meant that I just booked a return flight on May 10th, which is when our transpacific ends.  I've had 2 cruises canceled due to charters, both were more than a year out, so no big deal.  I figure if we have a right to cancel after finding better opportunities, so should the cruise lines, but not after we're further invested time and money.  

If you've paid for air with airline miles, or hotel points, you might value those miles differently than the cruise line.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

We weren't booked on this chartered cruise, I meant that I just booked a return flight on May 10th, which is when our transpacific ends.  I've had 2 cruises canceled due to charters, both were more than a year out, so no big deal.  I figure if we have a right to cancel after finding better opportunities, so should the cruise lines, but not after we're further invested time and money.  

If you've paid for air with airline miles, or hotel points, you might value those miles differently than the cruise line.

Oh, I see.  And, I think it is worth it for the cruiseline as most people don't book their airfare that far out, even though it is available.  I may have mentioned this but one of my sailings on NCL was switched from Alaska to Cuba and they offered me $25 to change to that itinerary.  That was not even in the cards for me....but I found something much better on Princess anyway.  On the other hand, I took advantage of the pricing and promo when Celebrity brought the Equinox back from Europe and rescheduled her to go to the Caribbean.  Those that were booked for the European itinerary were probably quite upset ... but, wow ... did we ever get great pricing and perks when they had to fill that ship for those Caribbean itineraries rather quickly.  I'm sure they do the math ... but yet, I agree, they might not factor in the ill will they cause for some.  Our schedule is super flexible so we usually just don't care but I don't think that is the norm.  

On 6/14/2019 at 12:02 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Great idea w, yet methinks that two (2) weeks before release to work out a Charter Contract is a bit short in terms of time needed to complete...

I recently completed a partial charter of an AA flight and it took five (5) weeks to complete, as such I would believe it would take at least that much time if not more for a whole ship...

bon voyage

On 6/14/2019 at 1:37 PM, Cruise Raider said:

I think they must make tons of $$ on those charters.  The money they have to pay out to already booked customers is probably a drop in the bucket compared to what they rake in.  I would be interested to see the average percentage of how many bookings are held on any given cruise a year ahead of time.  And, the OBC is non-refundable so you have to spend it onboard anyway.  The other fees they pay on are probably insignificant.  I think more than any of the fees, OBC, etc is the loss of, what are or would be, loyal customers.  In all three cases of my bookings being canceled, I came out way ahead of the game.  However, two of those bookings were from my home port and one was from LA and since I tend to travel on Southwest for those short flights, I wasn't affected in the very least.  For all those sailings, I was able to transfer my original booking to a much better itinerary.  But again, I understand other's disappointments when their schedule isn't nearly as flexible.  

I would tend to believe that the Chartering company will gladly pay those costs as a part of doing the Charter and business.

bon voyage

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Great idea w, yet methinks that two (2) weeks before release to work out a Charter Contract is a bit short in terms of time needed to complete...

I recently completed a partial charter of an AA flight and it took five (5) weeks to complete, as such I would believe it would take at least that much time if not more for a whole ship...

bon voyage

For a new charter group, I'd agree. But for these groups that charter every year, it should be a pretty simple and straightforward process. There can't be that much that changes year to year on these annual charters.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 4:46 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

For a new charter group, I'd agree. But for these groups that charter every year, it should be a pretty simple and straightforward process. There can't be that much that changes year to year on these annual charters.

This one appears to be a regular "Lifestyle (Swingers) Cruise".

Celebrity Infinity * April 20 - 25, 2020

Celebrity Infinity Rooftop Terrace

Bliss Cruise has announced its eight consecutive clothing-optional charter on board the Celebrity Infinity. This five-night cruise sets sail on April 20 - 25, 2020 from the Port of Miami, FL with stops in Nassau, Bahamas and a passenger favorite, the private Caribbean island of Labadee.

The 2020 Bliss Cruise production on the Celebrity Infinity will feature major lifestyle nightly themes, the highest quality DJ's, an all-genre presentation of hits, live music bands, daily activities designed for couples to connect, superior educational seminars, hands-on professional workshops, poolside and rooftop special events, along with the largest full-service and expanded play rooms at sea.

This lifestyle cruise is a full ship charter for adult couples 21 and over. The ship will sail with over 2,000 people that will party and play all day and all night. Book your cabin now to be part of the fun!

Introductory cabins on this dynamic Infinity sailing start as-low-as $595/person, double occupancy, the lowest price ever offered for a premium adult lifestyle vacation.

1 hour ago, Princess Fi said:

Our April 6, 2020 5 night Infinity was chartered also. We are booked on the March 23 2020 5 night cruise now but this will be my 4th try at this cruise due to being chartered 3 previous times!

Find another cruise line

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 4:45 PM, Princess Fi said:

Our April 6, 2020 5 night Infinity was chartered also. We are booked on the March 23 2020 5 night cruise now but this will be my 4th try at this cruise due to being chartered 3 previous times!

I’m on that April 6, 2020  5 night charter