BOGO..are these even sales

11 minutes ago, Heatherco said:

Trying to finalize a booking for next February and seem to get the sense that the BOGO 50% off sale is t really much of a sale.  Am I missing something or are they definitely a savings?  Thnaks!

It’s been Bogo 50 or some similar iteration for the past 3-4 years.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It’s been Bogo 50 or some similar iteration for the past 3-4 years.

Hard to believe, it's been 5 years now.  Other than KSF and mistakes, it's been since may 2014 since the last real sale.

• Like 3

It gets people who don’t cruise often to purchase.  Just think of the discussion at the dinner table, “Honey, I found a great buy one get one at 50 percent off for a cruise.”  It sounds so much better than, “Honey, I found us a cruise, sorry no discounts”.   Same thing grocery stores are doing, I just purchased 3 containers of ice cream because it was buy 2 get one free.  I should know better.  

1 hour ago, Heatherco said:

I did know that, but wondering if there is any real savings or not?

Not from any of the bogus 50% off or other sales but there are real deals from time to time. It all depends on supply and demand. Just last night someone spotted a great deal on a Grand Suite on Allure. Those rooms went fast, I wish I had jumped on it.

I have gotten to the point of just checking the final price and comparing it to other similar sailings that I am interested in.  I don't really care how I get to my destination since I really just use the ship to eat and sleep.  :classic_smile:

Booked on the Millennium to Alaska in August and just booked the Explorer to the Med in September 2020.  Both had the lowest price for the itinerary I wanted so that works for me!

• Like 1

The cruise price is what the customer is willing to pay. As long as their profit margins are met whether a cruise sells out or not, I don't think things will change. It's the same with any other product.

• Like 1

Absolutely, they are sales....they will sell you something, and it is a sale once that occurs.

The economy is pretty good so, prices are what they are.  The BoGO are just a way of getting you to click buy, when you visit their website.

That said, ignore sales, usually that is an offer to buy something you don’t actually want, or it wouldn’t be on sale.  Look at the value of what you want then decide if the price on what you want is tolerable considering your needs and economic happiness not to mention spiritual happiness.

jc

• Like 1

Why does it matter what something is called?  It's all just marketing.  It's just some group of people trying to psych you out to get you to buy what they are selling.

Why are so many prices (for example) $9.99?  What not just $10?

It's not a good thing or a bad thing, the way that Royal Caribbean markets cruises.  Just be a savvy consumer, know your budget, know what you want to get out of your cruise, and purchase when those two needs are met.

Period.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Why does it matter what something is called?  It's all just marketing.  It's just some group of people trying to psych you out to get you to buy what they are selling.

Why are so many prices (for example) $9.99?  What not just $10?

It's not a good thing or a bad thing, the way that Royal Caribbean markets cruises.  Just be a savvy consumer, know your budget, know what you want to get out of your cruise, and purchase when those two needs are met.

Period.

Great post. 

Every year operating costs like fuel, food, and staff have the potential to increase...so it should not come as any surprise that while the cruise lines are encouraged to sustain revenue and profits...yes..there will be fluctuations in pricing (including "sales").

The rest is just as you said...marketing.

Like any other consumer purchase...it's worthy of doing some level of homework before you buy.

On 6/22/2019 at 8:00 PM, itsmeagain said:

Same thing grocery stores are doing, I just purchased 3 containers of ice cream because it was buy 2 get one free.  I should know better.  

The trick to that is to use (2) manufacturers coupons that double/triple (depending on the store) on the first 2....THEN it’s a sale

PS....and that includes K-Mart 😂

16 hours ago, LEtue said:

I have gotten to the point of just checking the final price and comparing it to other similar sailings that I am interested in. 

I do the same... If I don't like the price, I move on.
It really doesn't matter if it is a land vacation or a cruise, the name if the "sale" doesn't matter, only the bottomline! 

On 6/22/2019 at 7:24 PM, Host Clarea said:

Hard to believe, it's been 5 years now.  Other than KSF and mistakes, it's been since may 2014 since the last real sale.

I think that was the 30-30-30 sale, which happened late May, early June of that year. I called my TA while on Allure in Palma.  Saved close to 7K on two sailings.  

That sale never happened again, and was replaced by BOGO.... forever. 

2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I think that was the 30-30-30 sale, which happened late May, early June of that year. I called my TA while on Allure in Palma.  Saved close to 7K on two sailings.  

That sale never happened again, and was replaced by BOGO.... forever. 

Yep, I think it was maybe a two week period of real sale prices. Then they came to their senses.

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Yep, I think it was maybe a two week period of real sale prices. Then they came to their senses.

Yes sir.  

30% of the people, got 30% off their cruise fare, for less than 30 days. 

30-30-30.😉

• Haha 1