Southhampton Hotel question, and questions re themed crossings

aungrl

We’re considering a westbound transatlantic crossing on the QM2 this June.  We would fly into Heathrow the day before (day flight from JFK), spend the night at Heathrow, and then transit to Southhampton the day before the sailing.  In this scenario, we’d need a hotel in Southhampton.  I thought I saw a post on this topic at some point recently, but a search doesn’t turn it up, so any thoughts would be much appreciated.  

A second, related question.  The sailing we’re considering is a “Food and Wine at Sea” theme, and I’m having some difficulty finding specific information on what that entails.  Separately, if we aren’t able to get this particular sailing booked, there’s another option that is a “Literature at Sea” theme.  Same question.  Perhaps I’m just overlooking a spot on the website that has more information on these themed sailings?  

Thanks in advance for all input!

We had the same question as to the "London Theatre at Sea" crossing next May.  We called Cunard, and a nice young man helpfully directed us to a description buried deep in the website.  It was not worth the effort, just general hype, nothing specific.  Maybe closer to the sailing date there'll be something.  Perhaps the best course is to choose the date that suits best, and consider the "theme" as a lagniappe for whatever it turns out to be worth.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, aungrl said:

We’re considering a westbound transatlantic crossing on the QM2 this June.  We would fly into Heathrow the day before (day flight from JFK), spend the night at Heathrow, and then transit to Southhampton the day before the sailing.  In this scenario, we’d need a hotel in Southhampton.  I thought I saw a post on this topic at some point recently, but a search doesn’t turn it up, so any thoughts would be much appreciated.  

A second, related question.  The sailing we’re considering is a “Food and Wine at Sea” theme, and I’m having some difficulty finding specific information on what that entails.  Separately, if we aren’t able to get this particular sailing booked, there’s another option that is a “Literature at Sea” theme.  Same question.  Perhaps I’m just overlooking a spot on the website that has more information on these themed sailings?  

Thanks in advance for all input!

Hotel.

https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/hilton-at-the-ageas-bowl-southampton-SOUAGHI/about/park-and-stay.html

Take a room on the Executive Floor

21 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

If you require a little pieces of luxury in the forest , then https://www.limewoodhotel.co.uk/

If you wish to stay in the centre of Southampton, in a small boutique hotel then https://www.thepighotel.com/in-the-wall/

I was just discussing hotels for pre-sailing with my friends who are going on the same sailing as me next year, and this thread, and the one that Hattie kindly linked, have come at the right time! 🙂

• Like 1

I'd book a car to take you to Southampton straight from LHR. If the traffic isn't too bad it's only an hour's drive and around £100. Beats a night at a LHR hotel. I live just south of LHR and use Smiths for Airports or South Coast Chauffeurs to get to Southampton.

Hotel wise I've stayed in the Grand Harbour Hotel (not to be confused with Soton Harbour hotel). It wasn't great in 2015, so I'm not sure if it's improved since. Soton Harbour Hotel looks awesome if a bit pricey. Premier Inn in West Quay is a good location and clean and comfortable enough, if not particularly luxurious.

Premier Inn at West Quay is clean, comfortable and reasonably priced.  I do not recommend eating dinner there, though:  there are a number of less expensive, better restaurants nearby.

It is an easy walk to the huge West Quay mall if you need any last minute shopping - or to pick up some wine to bring aboard.

1 hour ago, Mickb said:

During the last 20 years I have stayed at most of the better hotels in Southampton. Imo the Southampton Harbour Hotel is streets ahead of the others, but as ever it comes at a price.

Personal opinion only.

Agree, if you don't require 21 night plus parking, as it's a deal breaker.  Dining can be a let down sometimes.  

Premier Inn is for the cost conscious, but only if you have to.

Leoardo never suited, but has it's loyal cheerleaders, being like P&O and Marmite, you either love it or .......

The Pig is for those who want a totally different boutique experience. The food is good.

Lime requires a 2 day minimum to have and enjoy the full Line experience.

On 7/20/2019 at 6:50 PM, moses0 said:
  •  

We always stay here

Leonardo Royal Southampton Grand Harbour 

West Quay Road, Southampton, SO15 1AG, United Kingdom  

Have you stayed  there since they renovated the rooms?  We used to stay there, but the rooms got so shabby, and we've stayed elsewhere in the last couple of years. I think we're going to try them again in September.

Edited by FritzG

On 7/22/2019 at 8:43 AM, FritzG said:

Have you stayed  there since they renovated the rooms?  We used to stay there, but the rooms got so shabby, and we've stayed elsewhere in the last couple of years. I think we're going to try them again in September.

Must have been renovated because I did not notice them being shabby. Not staying there this year when we sail in September though. Going to be at The Crown Manor House Hotel in Lyndhurst for a change. 

On 7/20/2019 at 6:50 PM, moses0 said:
  •  

We always stay here

Leonardo Royal Southampton Grand Harbour 

West Quay Road, Southampton, SO15 1AG, United Kingdom  

We'll be staying here in September before our TA so I'll post a review.  The Leonardo corp. is a new manager, and the hotel has been renovated.  We stayed several times in the past, and it needed new management and a  renovation.  I've been in contact with guest relations, and they promise that things have improved.

I have to say, having been looking into this subject, and although quite expensive for the dates I am looking at, the Southampton Harbour Hotel in Ocean Village looks really nice! A lot more modern than I was expecting, and a great location if you are not needing or wanting the "hustle and bustle" (yes, I know its Southampton 😄 ) of the town centre or needing to be near shops etc. 

I am sorely tempted to pony up the spondoolicks! 

10 hours ago, BellaAnna said:

My DH and I stayed there two nights before our QV Fjords journey.  It was absolutely wonderful.  We enjoyed breakfast in the Harbar on 6 as well as a dinner.  Definitely recommend treating yourself!!

Thanks! 🙂 I will need to park the car for one night before dropping it off at ship-side parking on the day of departure, but I am sure I can cope... 

For a reasonable B&B close to centre of Southampton try The Hunters Lodge or The Regent Guest House. Inexpensive but very nice with good breakfasts. I stayed in these two a few days each over a week when my mum was in Southampton Hospital after a transatlantic cruise on QM2 when she became ill with pneumonia and was transferred from the ship to Southampton Hospital.