Elevated Wines by the Glass Program- Fleet wide?

grimace95120

Hello all, just read a post re the Elevated wines program on the Edge. Was wondering if this is fleet wide, or specific to the Edge? We have an upcoming cruise on Reflection, and this is something that we would definitely enjoy 

If anyone has any info it would be appreciated.

Thanks

29 minutes ago, grimace95120 said:

Hello all, just read a post re the Elevated wines program on the Edge. Was wondering if this is fleet wide, or specific to the Edge? We have an upcoming cruise on Reflection, and this is something that we would definitely enjoy 

If anyone has any info it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Can you share where you read about the Elevated Wine program on EDGE?  

Thank you vtcruising, it was indeed your post I was referencing. I thought this was particularly helpful, especially the by the glass x 5 part. I was going to buy bottles of champagne with the 20% package discount, but $5 per glass upcharge x 5 * 20%  grat is way cheaper than the bottle . Hoping this program is on Reflection 

Elevated Wines by the Glass Program

This program is a good way to try a nicer glass of wine using your beverage package. They have several nice wines that you can pay the difference between the price limit on your beverage package and the price of the wine by the glass. For example, the Caymus is $25/glass - we paid $10/glass with our Premium Beverage Package. A bottle ended up costing $50, instead of $120 (5 glasses/bottle). This seems to be available in several venues.

• Like 1

This is something that should be fleet wide I hope soon.  I have premium on my upcoming cruise and would not mind paying the upcharge of 5-10 per glass for wines.  They do it for mixed drinks should be able to easily add in wines this way too.  Thanks for the info, I go in November on Reflection also. 

Hopefully this will be on Equinox in November. I know it has always been the case where you just pay the difference on higher priced drinks with the premium pkg and now with the classic pkg. too. The question will be whether these wines will be available by the glass on your ship and your sailing. I hope they will be readily available throughput the fleet and not just on the larger newer ships. Why not, they will make much more money this way through volume  than waiting for someone to buy the high priced bottle, even though the bottle has a higher mark up.

Mary Ann

We were on the Eclipse in March & Summit in June and although there was  no flyeror advertising of a Elevated wine offering we regularly ordered a number of these wines. We had the Premium package and just paid the difference in price.  We were introduced to Caymus awhile back and have been ordering it for at least a year paying the $10+ upcharge.

I think they gave something that was always available a name & created a flyer to increase the amount of wines ordered with a upcharge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We have always taken advantage of this.  For the past couple of years, we have only paid the difference if we ordered a wine that cost more than our package allowed.  Eclipse, Summit etc.  They did not advertise it, but it has been an option.  Great way to use on board credit.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vtcruising said:

We certainly enjoyed it on the Edge - I think someone else mentioned it happening on another X ship - hopefully they will chime in.

The elevated wine by the glass was available on Reflection on our July 8th cruise.  🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Texed ! I agree this is probably just a " named program" from something that's been there all along. For me, out of site can be out of mind unfortunately . Having this listed in one place will definitely help me focus and spend some on board credit ! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grimace95120 said:

Thanks Texed ! I agree this is probably just a " named program" from something that's been there all along. For me, out of site can be out of mind unfortunately . Having this listed in one place will definitely help me focus and spend some on board credit ! 

We've had Freemark Abbey and a couple of others on the list that have been on the by the glass list for years for the package difference in price, but were very happy to have Caymus and Veuve Clicquot by the glass in January for the first time (for us anyway), maybe as a result of the official program. The wine steward actually spelled out that it was cheaper to drink it by the glass than get the 20% off by buying the bottle. A good time was had by all at our table! 🙂

There have always been plenty of wines on board more expensive than the Classic or Premium beverage package allowances.  Same for certain spirits.  Now they just pit a fancy name to it for pure marketing purposes.

• Like 2

we asked for a wine list in the mdr (constellation 6/28/19)...and we were handed a list which had classic package wines, premium package wines and Elevated wines.  We actually ignored the list and asked for a white that wasn't on the list which we found on a previous cruise and it was included in our classic package.  The lists, like the brands and drinks on the liquor packages, are representative....the limit is price.

BTW...it was actually difficult to get the full wine list.....I guess no one orders a bottle anymore....they had to search for the full list.

16 hours ago, ghstudio said:

we asked for a wine list in the mdr (constellation 6/28/19)...and we were handed a list which had classic package wines, premium package wines and Elevated wines.  We actually ignored the list and asked for a white that wasn't on the list which we found on a previous cruise and it was included in our classic package.  The lists, like the brands and drinks on the liquor packages, are representative....the limit is price.

BTW...it was actually difficult to get the full wine list.....I guess no one orders a bottle anymore....they had to search for the full list.

gh- you are experienced and know how and where to ask.  Many first time passengers might be confused about the beverage package limits and the new elevated wine list which is a convenient way for Celebrity to make easy dollars above and beyond the current packages.  I think if this "elevated" idea catches on, it will be more and more difficult to find quality wines within the beverage package limits.  Or they will come up with an even more expensive Ultra beverage package above Premium.

We had dinner at Murano a few weeks ago on the Equinox. There was ONE high end French white by the glass- Joseph Drouhun Chablis Premier Cru. It was $29 a glass. (we paid the $14 difference plus tip difference from our premium package to drink a wine that matched the food quality). When the wine arrived, we were told the Drouhin was out, but they would pour us the Faiveley Chablis Grand Cru for the same price. That's like ordering a Cadillac, but getting a Mercedes instead. GREAT wine!  Sometimes (not often) the many out of stocks works in your favor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We will check this out on our Equinox cruise Aug 10.

It occurs to me that there is a limiting factor with this that Dom G alludes to - it would be hard for them to source enough of some of these wines to provide them fleetwide and to make up flyers and advertise. They have to have enough bottles on each ship for long enough to develop and distribute the promo materials. These are NOT small production wines, and most cruisers won't take advantage of this, but it is still a fair amount of inventory.

We will definitely take advantage of this to some extent, and have wondered if this was available and how to make it happen without asking sommelier to dig up a wine list. We have always had a premium pkg and been pleased with the recommendations at dinner, but are no illusions that even with the premium pkg in Blu, we were getting anything better than typical grocery store wines.

We have different distributors and a very different selection in our state, so it is actually fun to see what we can find on the cruise ship, even if we usually can't find them at home. We have a wine cellar at home, and have some nice cellared bottles, but for everyday drinking we are connoisseurs of the $10-15 shelf at the local Publix.

We ask for the wine list to be given to us when we enter the dining room and are seated.  After a while, they get it together and have it ready for us.  We also ask to see the "sommelier"  before we order.  That way, we can be assured that we will have wine with dinner.  🍷

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aquidneck1 said:

We ask for the wine list to be given to us when we enter the dining room and are seated.  After a while, they get it together and have it ready for us.  We also ask to see the "sommelier"  before we order.  That way, we can be assured that we will have wine with dinner.  🍷

We do the same.