Demographic on different Itineraies

Too Young for Cunard

Hello everyone. I am curious recently as to how the demographic varies on Cunard cruises having read an article about increasing numbers of millennials going on QM2. My husband and I are 25 and 29 so definitely at the younger end excluding children and families. 

From your experience what is the age mix on different itineraries.  Does it vary depending on destination or length of cruise and do you feel the demographic is getting younger these days?  

Hello 🙂

I think to a degree, there will be a differential in the demographics based on itinerary, but in general, overall I still think that the overall age bracket for Cunard is a little higher than for some other lines. 

I have only done TAs and a short Europe trip, so can only comment on these... 

On the TAs I have done, it has been quite a mix, with surprisingly to me, a higher number than expected of younger people between 20 - 40. My first TA, I was 32 and felt it was nice to have some younger people onboard too. All be it I am relatively easy in the company of any age and enjoy the company of people across a broad spectrum of backgrounds and ages. 

Hamburg was a lot of younger in terms of demographic, but can't comment on anything else itinerary wise. 

My impression is that the average age of passengers on TAs and Hamburg cruises is younger, sometimes much younger. Also quite a few children, with youngish parents on Med. cruises in the summer holidays, except Cunard seem to have stopped doing those. I think they may be attracting some younger passengers, but the older ones remain fit for longer, possibly as a result of enjoying themselves on Cunard, so there may be more older passengers, if you see what I mean. Last year we did a Baltic cruise in June, and while most passengers were probably retired, they were quite a number of younger ones.

Definitely more children on a TA than normally on a cruise.

On all ships there are children's  activities and sometimes get-togethers for 18 - 25's.

Does age really matter? What would you do, that's different, if the average age was higher or lower than expected?

If indeed it's a cruise, then more than half your time will be spent ashore and the locals are probably all ages.

On sea days, I can absolutely guarantee that you'll find so much to do that you'll not manage to fit it all in, regardless of age. Cunard has the best daily programmes.

Stewart

Having done 10+ cruises on Cunard, my experience is that the demographic is different depending on itineraries and times of year. Like T5LHR I found the transatlantics to be a good mix of ages but - this was over the summer holiday period which might account for the younger guests and children being able to travel. Baltics in the Spring tended to be 50-70 age group. Short break to Hamburg just after New Year was a mix of two or even three generation families. 

Canaries in the Spring again a mix of generations. Canaries and Europe in November December - a lot older. I even heard whispers of some crew that it was a 'pre Christmas dumping ground' for elderly relatives. Harsh. 

Adriatic and Eastern Med in the summer months was a nice mix of all generations. 

Ive cruised on Cunard since my early thirties and never felt it was too old for me. I enjoy the company of all generations and it's so often a blessing to have different age groups to talk with and listen to. That's what can make cruising such a wonderful experience. 

Thank you all for your replies. I am asking out of curiosity as Cunard’s needs to attract a younger crowd to be sustainable longer term. I actually prefer an older demographic and lack of children but do get a bit confused when certain reviews allude to some cruises “feeling like care homes”; something I have never really felt in my 6 years of travelling with Cunard. 

27 minutes ago, Too Young for Cunard said:

Thank you all for your replies. I am asking out of curiosity as Cunard’s needs to attract a younger crowd to be sustainable longer term. I actually prefer an older demographic and lack of children but do get a bit confused when certain reviews allude to some cruises “feeling like care homes”; something I have never really felt in my 6 years of travelling with Cunard. 

Cunard may be something people grow into as they get older: you are obviously exceptionally discerning and mature, but it may take other people longer. So, it may never need to attract a much younger demographic.

If I ever have to go into a care home, I very much hope it's like a Cunard ship.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Too Young for Cunard said:

We are in the middle - not 70, not 30. We never felt like the Queen Mary 2 was “a care home”. Fencing, watercolor class, lectures, dancing until the wee hours, long, luxurious hours in the spa, funny trivia (and fish and chips and ale) in the pub. If a Cunard Queen has an itinerary you are interested in, and you don’t mind a bit more formal (not staid or dusty, just more formal) atmosphere, give it a try. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Cunard may be something people grow into as they get older: you are obviously exceptionally discerning and mature, but it may take other people longer. So, it may never need to attract a much younger demographic.

If I ever have to go into a care home, I very much hope it's like a Cunard ship.

• Like 1

I absolutely agree. I never understand why people think Cunard needs to attract a younger demographic. It just needs to continue attracting the demographic it does currently. I wouldn't have considered a Cunard cruise when I was in my 20's or even 30's. However, in my 40's I tried it and loved it. I'm in my 50's now and find many people of around my age on all cruises. 

I do agree, though, that different itineries attract different demographics. I think it varies with length of cruise and time of year as well as with the actual itinery.

42 minutes ago, Camgirl said:

I absolutely agree. I never understand why people think Cunard needs to attract a younger demographic. It just needs to continue attracting the demographic it does currently. I wouldn't have considered a Cunard cruise when I was in my 20's or even 30's. However, in my 40's I tried it and loved it. I'm in my 50's now and find many people of around my age on all cruises. 

I always have to laugh when people talk about how Cunard has to attract a younger demographic to survive.  They don't seem to realize that todays younger people are going to be tomorrow's older people.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Camgirl said:

I never understand why people think Cunard needs to attract a younger demographic.

Agreed. My parents took a cruise with Cunard and I'm in the process of booking another one for them, but I can't see the demographic widening art all. By widening I'm sure we all mean a move in just one direction because it's not going to shoot up the other end of the spectrum when they've got that pretty much covered.

In any case the "hardware" itself won't allow for it. Compared to Royal Caribbean even I would struggle to board a Cunard vessel (but then I thought Princess was rather boring too...) though your post about "loving it" might convince me to give it a try.

Hi, 

I think the passenger demographic varies by itinerary and the time of year. For example, a transatlantic crossing in July should have a younger demographic than a world cruise segment in February. 

I did my first voyage with Cunard when I was 19 years old (a crossing on the QE2 in the summer of 1984). I had a wonderful time and have sailed with Cunard a total of 19 times over the years (I am now in my mid 50s).

Chuck

• Like 1

I first travelled on Cunard in 1991 when I was in my early 20s (a crossing on QE2). I wasn’t the youngest - my brother was 17 - but I don’t think there were many passengers younger than me, if my memory serves me correctly. Now, nearly 30 years later,  I still feel I am generally one of the youngest - I do Southampton round trips, including several Canaries and western Mediterranean itineraries, as well as 4 to the fjords. I agree that the age demographic can vary depending on the ports being visited - I’d say on my cruises, the average age might have been a bit younger on the Norway voyages but higher on those to Madeira. I also did a quick 3 day trip to Le Havre last November, which seem to attract a wider age range and when I have travelled over part of the summer period, I have noticed families with children. I therefore agree with other posters that the age demographic can change depending on what sort of itinerary the ship is on.

Loved Cunard in 1991 - still really enjoy it and very much looking forward to my next trip in the autumn!  😊

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 6:25 AM, exlondoner said:

You and me Both, EX. 

On 8/9/2019 at 6:54 AM, Too Young for Cunard said:

It amazes me to hear people talk about the necessity “...to attract a younger crowd to be sustainable longer term.”  Do they really think that next year they will stop making older people?

Actually, with improvements in health care and lengthening longevity, we are more likely to be awash in older people than to suffer any shortage.

• Like 1

I really don't understand why there is all this pallaver about the ages of the pax. What does it matter?

I've never phoned a restaurant and enquired of them what this evening's age group will be. Nor called a cinema to ask the same. Nor called a theatre to ask.

If travelling, neither have I asked this of the train company or airline.

The ages of my fellow pax is totally irrelevant and does nothing to enhance or detract from my enjoyment, and I've travelled 24+ times with Cunard.

Stewart

Edited by BigMac1953
  • Like 5

So long as passengers are pleasant, polite and considerate people who enjoy life on board what does it matter if they are in their 20's 40's or 60's or any other age range - having a fun relaxed chilled out time enjoying the varied facilities on board the ship as well as enjoying the various ports of call, either on formal excursions or people going ashore on their own is what matters.  It just happens to be the case that people who have spent many years working and saving a fraction of their earnings over their lifetime are more likely to have the funds to pay for repeated cruises.  Long may that continue. If anyone of any age has the funds for cruises that is fabulous - though of course the cruise shop managers need to be sensitive to the needs of various age groups and their desires for a holiday - if people want noisy super loud pop music around the pool then they go on the ships that provide that - but if people want quieter more relaxed music around the pool they will choose the ships that provide that.  On most ships people can choose between more formal quieter less rushed meals in the dining room (at dinner as well as at lunch) or choose the faster buffet meals....  hopefully the cruise market will continue to cater for a variety of tastes in food, entertainment and ports of call - and cover all the needs with some more specialty niche markets on particular lines with a mix of smaller and larger ships.

• Like 3

Thank you again for all your replies. May I emphasise that I was asking out of curiosity having read an article about more millennials choosing Cunard and have no issue with the age demographic; the tastes and behaviour of fellow passengers is what makes the ambience of Cunard perfect for me. I have never felt too young or out of place on Cunard. 

When I said about attracting a younger demographic I maybe used the wrong words. I meant that in order to continue to attract passengers long into the future Cunard will need to continue to evolve; what the average 60 year old wants now is likely different to what the average 60 year old will want in 30 years time. Although I actually feel lots of 20 somethings would enjoy Cunard if they gave it a go, I don’t expect the average age of passengers to suddenly fall even though some suggest it is creeping down slightly. 

Finally I will explain my username. We normally go to the commodore club and enjoy the sail away from there when we board. On one occasion a few years ago the waiter said that “surely this is all a bit serious for someone your age” to which I asked myself “maybe I’m a bit too young for Cunard”. Of course I don’t think I am too young now, rather I feel many young people don’t really understand what they are missing. 

• Like 1

It is a valid question and point in marketing, though, to consider .

I am in my mid 40s and am about to take our first Cunard voyage. I knew about Cunard and the great romance of classic ocean travel because I love history and classic film... plus my father was a history buff and in the Navy.

I am overjoyed about taking my first Cunard trip, and feel certain it will fit my personality. I love dressing up, live music, beautiful meals in beautiful surroundings, traveling, and learning new things while I explore.

BUT

That said, many friends in my age bracket and below are not very familiar with the brand. I’ve had to explain Cunard to many (or most) of them. These would also be potential customers who love the same things I mentioned above.

• Like 2

Versus the many mass market cruise lines, Cunard is a cruise line for inquiring minds and those that value decorum and grace.

Age is irrelevant.  

The lecturers on Cunard is one item that separates this line from the mass lines - only Crystal comes close. The lecture series are amazing and I thank Cunard for continuing this amazing service. Cunard emphasizes learning - the fact they still have a library system sends a signal that learning is an important aspect of Cunard. The number of conversations that I have enjoyed over the years all originating from a comment that a book (not an IPad) generated is priceless for me. The afternoon tea is designed to bring guests together.

On the QM2, are the boards showing the history of transatlantic travel - a priceless piece of history.

Contrast this with the mass cruise lines which are competing with each other to build larger and more Vegas like ships full of distractions, no thank you.

Like purchasing a vehicle, you need to know who you are and how you live, so you purchase the best fit vehicle.

The same is true of a cruise experience. Each cruise line is different.

• Like 1