Lovin' our Keurig K-Mini, if only we could....

We have a mini Keurig type, single cup machine we take on non-cruise vacations where we will have a fridge of some kind for our half n half. Nice for a good, hot cup of coffee (we know we will like) first thing in the morning. 

Edited by fatcat04

We would not consider taking our coffee maker with us on shorter cruises (7 to 14 days).  On HAL we book the longer voyages, like the  35-day Voyage of the Vikings, the 77-day South America & Antarctica & world voyages.  On these longer cruises, we would like to take a little of 'home' with us.  Now, we know that coffee from a Keurig is not the best coffee but it's darned consistent in quality, such as it is.

On several cruises on RCI that we have taken from the UK, they almost always had some sort of tea kettle in the staterooms with tea & coffee pouches.  The notion of having coffee every day that has a consistent quality beats the crap shoot of trying to get good coffee on cruise ships.

14 minutes ago, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

We would not consider taking our coffee maker with us on shorter cruises (7 to 14 days).  On HAL we book the longer voyages, like the  35-day Voyage of the Vikings, the 77-day South America & Antarctica & world voyages.  On these longer cruises, we would like to take a little of 'home' with us.  Now, we know that coffee from a Keurig is not the best coffee but it's darned consistent in quality, such as it is.

On several cruises on RCI that we have taken from the UK, they almost always had some sort of tea kettle in the staterooms with tea & coffee pouches.  The notion of having coffee every day that has a consistent quality beats the crap shoot of trying to get good coffee on cruise ships.

Sounds reasonable.  A lot of people here have expressed identical feelings about their wine 😉

We were on a 14-day cruise in the Med a few years ago and our cabin had a Keurig-like coffee maker in the cabin.  It actually was kind of handy as Mrs K is a much bigger coffee drinker than I am.  We still had coffee delivered and used the cabin machine to bridge the gap.   I’ve learned that my wife needs about one cup of coffee and about 30 minutes after she gets up to discuss pretty or say much more than a “good morning”.    Mrs K also likes different flavored coffees while I am a purist and like a nice bold coffee.   Our Keurig at home gets used a lot on weekends because of that whereas during the week we use a regular coffee maker.  Mrs K gets two cups in the morning and then she’s off to work.  We’ve been using a Keurig machine for probably ten plus years now and have found a number of brands of the pods that are pretty good at least for our taste.   Now would we take our machine on a cruise?  No.  Too big and even if we had a mini-Keurig we wouldn’t bother.  We have consistently had coffee delivered to our cabin for probably 20+ years now and that works for us.   

18 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I can’t imagine anything less I would take on vacation.  Or anywhere really.  I don’t get it.

I would not take a coffee maker on vacation. Anyone remember the blender thread????

For years, the only place I had Keurig coffee was in hotels, and I thought they made awful coffee. Then I had coffee from my SIL's Keurig, and realized she was buying decent coffee, and hotels often give you really cheap stuff. But even so, I wouldn't have one. All those plastic cups make too much waste. I know I could buy refillable pods, and I probably would. But I doubt many Keurig owners bother with that. 

45 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

A keurig would be a vast improvement.

Really?  

Why / how?  What's wrong with the coffee maker in the Neptune Suite?  

My fave K-cup is Newman's Own.  Am definitely going to miss Ruta Maya coffee from Costco.

I'm bringing several Starbucks Via for before / after cruise cabin / hotel.

It's not as good as Ruta Maya or Newman's Own, but it's a lot BTN (Better than Nothing)

On vacations I mostly go with whatever coffee is available, and break out the Starbucks Via if nothing is available.

On work trips I almost always bring my own coffee and tea service. 

It makes a huge difference in getting through a long night / morning of focused work.  No waiting on anyone to bring bad coffee at $15 per pot or more in Vegas.

ex: 

I have to be in Vegas for were work 2 or 3 weeks per year.   I bring

Gourmia GK320 Travel Foldable Electric Kettle  (great for tea too)

a collapsible coffee cone like this + Ruta Maya coffee. 

It's a moment of heaven on a day otherwise living on a stopwatch.

image.thumb.png.c537ba948928cf582b2b55048d46a2a8.png

2 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Really?  

Why / how?  What's wrong with the coffee maker in the Neptune Suite?  

I do not like the coffee it makes.  I don't want cappuchino.  I do not want espresso.  Just plain ole ordinary coffee.  

Nor, do I particularly like the coffee in the neptune lounge.  Wife loves it but she was born German.

Actually, I choose our suite on our next cruise to Alaska for two reasons.  I wanted an aft suite for the view.  One, it has the most overhead cover of all the aft suites.  Two, it's on deck eight.  Up just one flight to where I can get a better coffee than that produced by the neptune suite or lounge coffee makers.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

A keurig would be a vast improvement.

That, RocketMan275, is the understatement of the decade!  IMO and based on my experience, anyone who says Keurig-brewed coffee is bad, horrible, etc., has either (1) no appreciation for really good coffee (which, for sake of clarity, I must point out does not include anything that comes from Starbucks), or (2) only tasted lesser quality (non gourmet) coffees brewed in a Kuerig.  After all, a Keurig is sort of like a computer program: GIGO ...

Edited by avian777
  • Thanks 1