The Magic of Majesty. August 19, 2019 5 Nights, Bahamas

Fresh of the Empress with a night in a hotel in between I'm ready and pumped for my next cruise.

Did I mention...  IT'S CRUISE DAY!

This five night Majesty of Seas cruise was necessary.  I needed something to justify the airfare to Empress so this side-to-side was the perfect solution.

Itinerary

• Ft. Lauderdale
  • Nassau
  • Perfect Day at CocoCay
  • Sea Day
  • Key West
  • Ft. Lauderdale

I love Empress but this way I'm upgrading to a much larger ship!

I originally booked a number of Empress and Majesty sailings when the Cuba cancellations were forced upon the industry.  I feared Royal might move these ships out of the fleet.  My plan was to take lots of pictures and document this legacy class of ship that were the foundation of so much that became even much more on later ships.  It was because of the success of ships like this that Royal has become what it is today.   Success breeds success.  As it turns out they aren't moving these ships out to pasture just yet plus I get to sail on some of the best (small) ships in the fleet!  That's a win-win.

To be fair I split my time between Empress (3 bookings) and Majesty (3 bookings).  I already had some fall bookings that were bucket list type cruises so I had push some my Majesty cruises into October but that's okay, she'll be here waiting for me.

When you stay in a hotel and pay for things like meals and drinks you quickly appreciate the value that cruising represents.  Spoiler alert - the view out my hotel window never changed and I woke up right where I was the day before.  #boring

Cabin this time is an Ocean View on deck 4.  

• Like 4

My day starts returning my rental car.  

I had chosen to drop off at the Hertz location closest to the port.  This is inside a hotel which took me a drive by and u-turn to figure out.  Apple Maps got me there I just didn't see the Hertz signs while driving and making a left turn while trying not to play bumper cars with other vehicles.

xvBPtf5.jpg

This location is very close to the port, basically on the other side of a stop light.  Hertz has a free shuttle that runs back and forth.  The people in the first photo were Majesty passengers who had debarked today.

cCiV5pY.jpg

All the major rental car companies were represented today.

S3Dnaw8.jpg

Too early to go inside here at 9:26am but it was either sit in my hotel room or be an early bird.

ztUXPW4.jpg

Ilp7R86.jpg

Doors opened at 9:35am but we had a short wait at security while the check in counters got ready.

At 9:45am security done and first in the D+ line.  Picture taken, old style SeaPass cards with large C&A print provided at check in and upstairs in the D+ section by 9:50am.  I took advantage of the free terminal WiFi to squeeze in a last minute check on work before we boarded.

Around 10:45am the consecutive cruisers marched through followed by a call for Pinnacles and Suites then Diamond Plus and the succession of C&A levels. 

MLWOPnF.jpg

• Like 1

The Schooner Bar already had a number of patrons so I decided to wait to try to get some photos of it and the Spectrum Lounge.

Besides, my tummy was rumbling so up to the Compass Deli given the Windjammer was quite busy.

NRVuhTv.jpg

A first look at the pool deck.

meD9d98.jpg

Yb1Q5iY.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At 1pm they announced our cabins were ready.

Ocean View 4564

j2XOw6C.jpg

y18YwtJ.jpg

nI6lC4D.jpg

fv7aarz.jpg

kgctX86.jpg

ASIs1TY.jpg

Once were at sea I opened the curtains to get a picture of the view.  It's actually been quite some time since I've been in an ocean view cabin.  Plenty of interiors and balconies with a sprinkling of suites thrown in for good measure but it's been around 18 years since I've sailed in an ocean view cabin.

k34BkLQ.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Muster drill at 3:30pm.  

The bridge announced that anyone who had ever sailed before didn't need to attend muster.  Just kidding, they never say that.  It's required by international convention so what can you do but go with a smile on your face and participate as a means to let the cruise begin.

Sail away at 4pm.

MxWrEbn.jpg

wYUv8OR.jpg

Guests lined the popular spots but it wasn't too hard to find some railing space.

2FYpuyX.jpg

6gJRY1g.jpg

With that it was full on cruise mode.

vmZJtKW.jpg

cAbJfKj.jpg

A Diamond happy hour event is hosted in the forward half of the Viking Crown Lounge with great views forward.

zVh6OUx.jpg

An hour or so later I saw some ominous looking clouds heading our way and with that the salt was washed off the ship.  Such is a Florida afternoon in the summer.

mKvrbhN.jpg

This led soon after to a rainbow and sunnier skies.

4Fqscqg.jpg

GjA3nlA.jpg

• Like 2

Returning to my cabin I see that Fernando my cabin attendant had separated the beds per my earlier request.

Lbw0iGD.jpg

It's amazing how much bigger and functional this makes the cabin feel.  It's also much easier to see out the window.

• Like 2

After a quick bite in the WJ for dinner I noticed a hint of sunset in the stormy clouds.

TH3A0wk.jpg

ZBkavkJ.jpg

The aft of Majesty has a series of public decks at various levels.

Jd51MRX.jpg

You can see why this was a very popular class of ship in her day.

zovy2kD.jpg

KYcHD9F.jpg

gbQoiFQ.jpg

thly6X9.jpg

SVQUerp.jpg

Maybe not a full sunset but quite dramatic tonight with the clouds.

9DSwyWg.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Returning to my cabin I see that Fernando my cabin attendant had separated the beds per my earlier request.

Lbw0iGD.jpg

It's amazing how much bigger and functional this makes the cabin feel.  It's also much easier to see out the window.

Same room, but looks so much larger...

• Like 2