Strangest thing you take with you

Bennybluehat

I’ve been reading with some amusement & bewilderment the thread on taking a pocket knife with you on your cruise, especially the people stating they take items like cheese and Wd40 with them - the mind boggles! It made me wonder what is the strangest item or items you take with you? ( and keep it clean lol ).

If we're going from Southampton, which we are very shortly there's quite a lot of 'extra things' that I take - not if it's a fly cruise of course.  I always take a cup and saucer as I hate drinking coffee from a thick mug.  I take coffee bags as the on board coffee isn't worth drinking.  We too take a screwdriver and, if I remember, I have a little spectacles repair kit with a very tiny screwdriver and screws, just in case. We both wear glasses so we make sure we each take a spare pare.   I usually take pencils, a rubber and pencil sharpener as my husband likes doing the daily crossword - I forgot a pencil on one cruise and had the greatest trouble in finding one - not even one in the Emporium.  I also take cellotape , it's amazing how often it comes in useful.  We often take a few packets of our favourite crisps to have with a drink before dinner - the only ones on board are often Pringles or large Kettle crisps and they are expensive.  I drink a lot of squash so I take a couple of bottles - I'm not keen on the little squeezy type that you squirt into a glass of water.  I'm in the middle of packing now so have lots of lists.  I'm sure some people think I'm very odd taking all theset things!  We did the Aurora 65 night cruise 18 months ago - imagine what my packing list was like then!  We've never done a World but maybe one day.

• Like 2

I don’t think it’s strange - just practical - but I always take a battery powered motion sensitive night light with a low intensity amber bulb.

Like this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Beams-Battery-Powered-Motion-Sensing-Stick-Anywhere/dp/B01JH0SKQO/ref=sr_1_7?crid=34367AVJM5VBG&keywords=battery+motion+sensor+night+light&qid=1566927714&s=kitchen&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sprefix=Battery+motion+%2Caps%2C155&sr=1-7

Great for moving about in the blackness of the night time cabin without either waking yourself completely with retina-shattering bright bathroom lights or, hopefully, even disturbing your cabin-mate

Other useful things are a multi USB charger and a clock with luminous face.

We, too, like to take sachets of olives and small packs of nibbles for the balcony.

Also take a teeny-weeny multi tool with corkscrew, penknife (that’s another thread, I know), screwdriver, etc, all neatly folded in and unthreatening for security scanning

Why pray, on Arcadia, are the light switches behind the pillows (torch needed)

The idea of a cup and saucer is excellent, I too hate during out of mugs, that’s why I have room service!  I shall sneak one from the dining room and take my own coffee bags!

Beat this one,   I take an orthopaedic thigh length boot for using in the shower (on a just in case basis), I am forever damaging my shins which then must be kept dry.

25 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Why pray, on Arcadia, are the light switches behind the pillows (torch needed)

The idea of a cup and saucer is excellent, I too hate during out of mugs, that’s why I have room service!  I shall sneak one from the dining room and take my own coffee bags!

Beat this one,   I take an orthopaedic thigh length boot for using in the shower (on a just in case basis), I am forever damaging my shins which then must be kept dry.

One thigh length boot...😀

That must make security smile when it pops up on the scanner...

Andy

2 hours ago, Bennybluehat said:

It’s a good job you can take as much luggage as you want when you are on a cruise! 

What about those of us who need to fly to Southampton.  

And a message for Andy, it’s jolly nice being bonkers!  This string of messages makes me feel happy inside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

This thread is fantastic.

How have I ever got through life without a battery operated latte whisker!!!

Thats my favourite so far, let's see who can top that...

Andy

You can get them on eBay delivered for £10 Andy,made by Aerolatte to go-Morrison’s sellboxes of 8 Nescafé gold cappuccino/latte etc for £1.50,bargain,Steve

• Like 1

Wow, I can just about manage to pack all of the clothes that I need without worrying about fairy lights and torches and I would worry about breaking cups if I took them.  I already have a list stored on my laptop that I print and tick off as I pack to avoid missing anything.

Edited by Josy1953

12 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

This thread is fantastic.

How have I ever got through life without a battery operated latte whisker!!!

Thats my favourite so far, let's see who can top that...

Andy

I read somewhere that various attachments are available.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, white_bear said:

We take all sorts of things as well - including magnetic clips (Ikea) - good for securing paperwork etc to the cabin wall and a champagne stopper.  We have now given up with the P&O biscuits and take our own.

Champagne stopper - good plan! Just added one to our suitcase 👍