Hurricane Dorian talk

5 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

No cruise line at this point is giving a cash refund to cruisers affected (as far as I know). Disney hasn't even made any plans for the hurricane public.

Wrong:

All credits will be applied to your Onboard Account by Day 2 of your cruise. And remember, they can be used anywhere onboard, and if unused, they will be refunded back to your credit card on file about 3 – 5 business days after the sailing ends.

2 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Wrong:

All credits will be applied to your Onboard Account by Day 2 of your cruise. And remember, they can be used anywhere onboard, and if unused, they will be refunded back to your credit card on file about 3 – 5 business days after the sailing ends.

It's not a full refund. Sounded to me like the poster wants a full refund for the cruise and to not go on the shortened version. Not just refunded for the days missed but still go on a shortened cruise for days you wouldn't get refunded. 

• Like 1

Weather channel just gave a detailed prediction for the Bahamas and Coco Cay on their map was the BULLSEYE.  18 inches of rain and category 3 status.  Its 500 miles away they said and it could twitch here or there but there is NOTHING in the way of the storm up to the Bahamas.  The upper low will take it from there to send it where its going to hit Florida as cat 4.

13 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

It's not a full refund. Sounded to me like the poster wants a full refund for the cruise and to not go on the shortened version. Not just refunded for the days missed but still go on a shortened cruise for days you wouldn't get refunded. 

It sounded like that.  But he has the option for the voucher and another 5 day cruise.  He does get money back if he doesn't use the OBC if he goes.  But they are only losing ONE day.  It's a good deal if you ask me.  RCCL is NOT responsible for the weather.

• Like 1

Just now, BecciBoo said:

It sounded like that.  But he has the option for the voucher and another 5 day cruise.  He does get money back if he doesn't use the OBC if he goes.  But they are only losing ONE day.  It's a good deal if you ask me.  RCCL is NOT responsible for the weather.

I'm not saying it's bad. (Hell, I'm a little weird that I'd like one of my cruises to get hijacked by a hurricane and get a FCC, but I'll take days on a cruise over days cooped up in my home on curfew) That poster thinks it's bad they can't get all their money back in cash. 

They also need to take it down a notch. It's looking really likely that the ships won't be able to make it back to Canaveral and maybe even Miami by Wed so Royal is going to have to come up with a Plan C which might be canceling it because otherwise they need to have permission to do a cruise to nowhere for Thurs-Fri. 

4 hours ago, Jzx1103 said:

Highly doubt CocoCay (or any Bahamas ports) will be up and running by Thurs if current track holds anyways. What are they gonna do then? Have a 2 night cruise to nowhere?

Rare but know Royal and prob others have done this in Past. Royal did give some FCC. Use to always sail this same week every yr and always had deal with Hurricanes changing/effecting my Cruise. Myself, had a 4 nite 2 Port turn into a 1 Port. Woke in the nite and we were at Dead Stop for while. Was on lower/OV and that was weird feeling as ship was going side to side  up/down from waves. Think thats what woke me...

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

That's exactly what I want. A full refund should be a given when a hurricane impacts a cruise. How in the world are people supposed to even get to Miami? Giving FCC to folks that have no idea whether or not they will be able to use it in the coming year is ridiculous. Missing out on the cruise is bad enough but having it stuck to you with no refund just salts the wound....

Edited by bclinton
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bclinton said:

That's exactly what I want. A full refund should be a given when a hurricane impacts a cruise. How in the world are people supposed to even get to Miami? Giving FCC to folks that have no idea whether or not they will be able to use it in the coming year is ridiculous. Missing out on the cruise is bad enough but having it stuck to you with no refund just salts the wound....

Expecting a cash refund is ridiculous.

They're giving you 100% of your value back in a future voyage.

Or 6/7ths of it back and you still get to go.

• Like 3

I'm one of those people who will cruise if I see the right deal, or a group of friends is urging me to join them. I don't worry about what time of year it is. I just make my plans. I have a cruise booked in mid-October … still hurricane season ... and I hope that if a hurricane disrupts those plans I don't have to read multiple posts of people questioning why anyone would cruise in hurricane season. 

I read so much angst and frustration in the posts of the people who are affected by this and I'd like to suggest it would be best to avoid pouring salt into the wounds. 

I'm a Midwesterner … and like many others in this area of the country, I also cruise in the winter. I don't ever recall people posting that us Midwestern folks are unrealistic to make plans to fly south for a cruise in the dead of winter, when nasty snowstorms can shut down the airports. They just tell us to fly in a day or two early. But that glib response is also unrealistic. If the storm hits two days before the cruise … on the day you're flying out … you are still struggling to get to the port because all the airlines are backed up. Ask me how I know this … 

Again I just want to express sympathy for all the folks affected by this storm … except of course for the ones who are already on a cruise that's being extended. While the situation would be problematic for some, it is my secret fantasy to have that happen to me.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, bclinton said:

People don't HAVE to get to Miami.  That's a choice and it is on them.  The cruise line gave you the option to not sail and accept the credit towards sailing at a different time.  If you read your cruise contract they don't even have to do that.  

• Like 1

It doesn't work that way. What travel insurance did they purchase?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:38 PM, loudbmw said:

We were on the Oasis when Hurricane Irma hit Florida in 2017.  Since the storm was scheduled to make landfall around the end of our cruise, the Captain made the wise decision  to wait out the storm in the Gulf of Mexico where the weather was perfect.

Our seven day cruise ended up being ten days.  It wouldn’t have made any sense to even try to attempt to dock any sooner as all the airports were closed and the power was out for days in many places.

There were a ton of no shows for the following shortened cruise.  RCCL offered reduced rates for us to stay on board for the shortened cruise.  That worked out well since gas was in short supply in Florida and we were driving to Virginia.

We learned a few lessons while cruising during hurricane season, we ran out of meds but were able to buy them in Cozumel.  We now pack at least a week’s extra.  We filled our tank prior to parking so gas wasn’t needed until we got to South Carolina.

Parking in the terminal garage was also a wise decision.  Some guests that parked in off site surface lots found their cars totaled when a tornado hit one of the off site lots.

Lou

Thank you for the heads up.  We will certainly pack extra meds.. we fly but appreciate your sharing.

I sympathize as well. 

Many of the regulars who post here have the time and ability to cruise frequently. But there are those who save for years for that one special vacation. Or, they fund a honeymoon for one of their children, as one poster explained.  There is a significance to their disappointment that seems lost to many here.

yes, yes, yes...should have...could have...”its the weather, stupid”...read the contract, blah, blah.blah.

But a four day cruise reduced to a one stop turnaround...or any such “reduction”...when it was somebody’s long anticipated VERY special and RARE vacation...not the third this year...is a devastating disappointment. 

Lately RCCL seems to disappoint customers too often in too many areas...there’s a new thread several times a week on the latest “switch” to what the fully paid cruiser thought he was buying. 

But the ships sail full, so as a business, it doesn't seem to matter to them. Disappointed customers are chaff in the wind.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Nope.  We were originally scheduled for this week, but put it off.  Now our kids will be deciding whether to put up our hurricane shutters.

This is how we roll in Cocoa Beach.😎

20190830_171051.thumb.jpg.4aa6102dc63678af6fd0a9bb0efc7b6d.jpg

Up is open, down is closed

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We do have to slide the accordion shutters on the balcony.

Did that come with your condo when you bought it or was it a add on that you did. Also is there a rating of how much your building can withstand, say category wise?

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Did that come with your condo when you bought it or was it a add on that you did. Also is there a rating of how much your building can withstand, say category wise?

They were there when we bought. Definitely not the norm. Most folks have manual cranks.

The accordion shutters are great because you can leave your patio furniture out

• Like 1