Couldn't get much worse ship's-officer inclusion-wise

Alipius

44 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

Ross Roberts 'cook-off' against the Executive Chef Lyndsey was absolutely hilarious too.  I won't spoil it for anyone but needless to say the play on the Thomas Keller menu also had the Grand Salon in hysterics!  

We thoroughly enjoyed the silly cook-off as well as the Dancing with the Stripes.  We actually knew three of the four passengers who danced in the dance contest quite well.  I will say that SB did its best to entertain us during our many days at sea.  

On our last cruise in May both the Captain and the Hotel Director each dined one evening with my husband and I.

I also saw many Officers hosting tables but 

as previously stated, their main role is to ensure a safe journey !!

• 2 weeks later...

Why eat with “staff”?

These individuals have lots to say and discuss about their experience as professionals on board, their travels, and their personal lives- for starters. As a result, they make excellent dinner companions. That’s partly why they participate in the program. The other obvious reason is that everyone who accepts the invitations are bound to enjoy themselves provided that they recognize the special nature of such hosted tables. That means lots of listening, banter and contributing constructively with interesting information and insights, less about themselves, and no talk about politics and money.

Seabourn is renown for this easy mixing at hosted dinner table by self-selected and fortunate guests, officers and other personnel. Oh, and by the way, there is no tradeoff on Seabourn ships between social engagements such as these and safety.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 2

Well said Markham!  Whether one is invited to a hosted table for 10 or a more intimate one, having the opportunity to hear from the Master of the ship, the HD, or another one can learn a lot.  And ask questions. 

On that topic, years ago at a hosted table w/ the now departed Captain Carlo - who we sailed with multiple times and really liked, I asked him why Seabourn was not sailing to Alaska.  His answer was hilarious, IMHO, "why would we repeat the same thing every other cruise".  A few years later Seabourn went back to Alaska (which we have done and loved) 🙂

Now there is, IMO, a difference between having dinner w/ the singer / dancer / etc. vs. an Officer or a guest lecturer.  But all have stories to tell, and as you said, to paraphrase "be quiet and observant, you might learn things"

We were on a hosted table with one of the main singers one cruise, lovely charming girl, great fun.  During the course of conversation, someone asked her where she was born/grew up etc.  She replied it was a little English village no-one will have heard of.  That piqued my curiousity so I asked further as I also grew up in a small village.  

Yes, I grew up in the same place albeit a few decades before!   There was lots to talk about and we both knew the same families who'd lived in this village forever.  Life is strange sometimes.... 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 7:01 AM, DavidTheWonderer said:

Not that I am criticizing, but personally I don't care if the ship's officers are around and about or not.  However, for those for whom it is important, perhaps you could consider Azamara.  Not a "luxury" cruise line but the officers are highly visible all the time.

Totally agree.  We have never cruised with a line where all the officers are seen all over the ship as they are on all the Azamara ships.  There is a real camaraderie between the passengers and officers.  Also, we have not seen such genuine  happiness among the crew, most of whom have been with Azamara for many years.  The secret is Azamara treats them very well.  Can you tell it is our favorite line?

• Like 1

To me it seems like this is an important status symbol for some passengers and of no importance to others. If you score the captain, excellent officers great,  H D or C D or engineers good , Singers and dancers not as good, waiters bartenders room steward never.

I've been on 25 or so cruise ships, Sojourn last December Quest last May and I could not tell you the name of any crew member on any of them.

We are on Quest again this November and I will try to pay more attention as to who is who at dinner.

Different strokes.

On 9/21/2019 at 4:14 PM, cruzluvers said:

Totally agree.  We have never cruised with a line where all the officers are seen all over the ship as they are on all the Azamara ships.  There is a real camaraderie between the passengers and officers.  Also, we have not seen such genuine  happiness among the crew, most of whom have been with Azamara for many years.  The secret is Azamara treats them very well.  Can you tell it is our favorite line?

It seems that interaction with officers and crew is part of the entertainment culture at Azamara.  SB crew is well treated and well paid and they seem happy to renew their contracts, however they are not encouraged to initiate "camaraderie."  And that is fine by me.  I have always found good conversation with other passengers and we frequently travel with other friends.  The crew is professional, efficient and pleasant and I don't need to take their time to entertain me.  

Having said that, we usually accept one or two dinner invitations and have found it to be very pleasant.  Especially, when it is someone we had enjoyed having dinner with during a previous cruise.

Edited by marazul

How sad that a thread like this should appear. A critique of the hard working senior ranked staff and crew and their level of visibility aboard. 

More disappointing is the level of expectation and entitlement from some cruisers.  Seabourn's effort to make your holiday enjoyable is tangible . We are invariably delighted and grateful to Seabourn's senior staff for their care and hospitality  shown to us . They are always accessible and never sparing with their time. 

As far as we are concerned the level of visibility of senior personel is perfectly proportioned.

Edited by koalapanda

3 hours ago, koalapanda said:

How sad that a thread like this should appear. A critique of the hard working senior ranked staff and crew and their level of visibility aboard. 

More disappointing is the level of expectation and entitlement from some cruisers.  Seabourn's effort to make your holiday enjoyable is tangible . We are invariably delighted and grateful to Seabourn's senior staff for their care and hospitality  shown to us . They are always accessible and never sparing with their time. 

As far as we are concerned the level of visibility of senior personel is perfectly proportioned.

It's the entitlement that really bothers me.  (Of course I can just look away.)  I was trying to answer a question in a Facebook Seabourn group and one of the members said to me,  "HOW many SB cruises have YOU been on?  And how would YOU know the answer to this."  The person went on to tell me how many days they had sailed.  Talk about off putting!  That being said, my husband and I have enjoyed dining with several ships' officers.  I find their work and how they came to their vocation to be fascinating.  For us, they made wonderful dinner companions.  Others may not care of the experience--and that is certainly their prerogative.  In my very humble opinion, seeing the officers around the ship talking to passengers adds a certain festive holiday air to a cruise.  It's an intangible and perhaps so subtle that not everyone sees it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SLSD said:

It's the entitlement that really bothers me.  (Of course I can just look away.)  I was trying to answer a question in a Facebook Seabourn group and one of the members said to me,  "HOW many SB cruises have YOU been on?  And how would YOU know the answer to this."  The person went on to tell me how many days they had sailed.  Talk about off putting!  That being said, my husband and I have enjoyed dining with several ships' officers.  I find their work and how they came to their vocation to be fascinating.  For us, they made wonderful dinner companions.  Others may not care of the experience--and that is certainly their prerogative.  In my very humble opinion, seeing the officers around the ship talking to passengers adds a certain festive holiday air to a cruise.  It's an intangible and perhaps so subtle that not everyone sees it. 

I hope you aren't referring to SS with this quote? I have searched and cant find anything like those sort of comments! Please point it out to me if I am wrong.

17 minutes ago, 2seabournsailors said:

I hope you aren't referring to SS with this quote? I have searched and cant find anything like those sort of comments! Please point it out to me if I am wrong.

From another site and some time ago.  And, as I recall, the poster deleted the comment shortly thereafter--perhaps realizing that it was not how he/she wanted to present himself/herself.  My point is that comments that seem to imply entitlement or superiority make some question whether they would want to book a SB cruise.  That being said, we have always met wonderful people on our cruises and enjoy keeping in touch later.  

Edited by SLSD

I have my first Seabourn booked for April 2020....after reading this thread, not sure I am going to keep the booking:classic_blink::classic_wacko:

It is sort of (not sort of) it is disconcerting to read these posts....how dare someone answer a question? Really?

As for Silversea, I sailed with them twice and LOVED both of my cruises. I have been told I should feel the same way about Seabourn but now I am not so sure.

Lois, I've cruised more than five times with Seabourn and have had fantastic experiences with fellow cruisers.  Please remember that you can veer away easily from any obnoxious person, if you find one.  If a testy comment or question comes my way, I just seriously stare at the person for a few seconds and either leave, or - if in a group - talk to somebody else.  You should give Seabourn a chance.

BTW, enjoy your upcoming cruise from Venice!

Lois - I have read many of your posts on the 'Water Cooler.  I feel sure that you will love Seabourn (I think you travel as a 'single'?)  We have done quite a few cruises on Silversea, and then many on Seabourn.  You will find differences in the staffing of the people you come across; wait staff, bartenders, cabin stewardesses.  All are from countries all round the world, and pretty well all very personable, friendly, and speaking excellent English.  The same applies to the Officers.  You are likely to be invited to join a hosted table most evenings, to get to know other passengers - both singles and couples.  The passengers will be generally of a very similar type to those on Silversea, almost all friendly and happy to mingle over a drink  before dinner. etc.  We have encountered fewer 'entitled' people  and the odd person boasting about their wealth on Seabourn than Silversea.

Hope no one finds this offensive, obviously it is just one person's opinion, based on probably 5 Silversea and many more Seabourn cruises over the years.

Hi. Thank you both for the replies. Yes,

I sail solo and will keep the booking. I have been posting for years and should know better. There are those folks on every line and I will just not worry about it!

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi. Thank you both for the replies. Yes,

I sail solo and will keep the booking. I have been posting for years and should know better. There are those folks on every line and I will just not worry about it!

Lois, I hope the tale I told does not influence you away from Seabourn.  It was in a FB group and it was almost laughable (but still very off putting) when it happened.  We have met wonderful people on our Seabourn cruises.  

On 8/28/2019 at 4:02 PM, Alipius said:

During the April 2019 Shanghai to Kobe, not one Officer came down to dinner during the 18 days. 

Heck: not even an Engineer..... (The highest ranking 'crew' we came across there was the Assistant Cruise Director, David: he was a total delight.)  

The Captain, Tim Roberts, lovely fellow though he is, was only seen when needs be at a function in the red-room along with the set-patter: and not once did see him 'around the ship' or even at the Galley Lunch (but he must have been there, surely!)    It truly was a surprise to finally see him near the gang-way as we 'disembarked'.

The Cruise Director I saw only at functions where he had to be: he's a cabaret fellow and doesn't seem to do 'off stage'; and not once did I see him 'around the ship' or,  again, even at the Galley lunch, except to do the: 'Three Cheers for the Cooks'.  (The food was indeed pretty good!)

Puts you off a bit and sort of let's you know what they think of us and they are actually running the place you're on so you can't help think; anyway, after 250+ days it now helps me to manage my money

We were on From Cape Town to Singapore in March/ April 2019 and the crew were very visible. Captain Tim was around all the time as were the Hotel and Catering Manager. In fact Luca and Antonio were a hilarious double Act. David and Yvonne, Assistant Cruise Directors were delightful, extremely talented and good dining companions. The doctor and nurses were often to be found in the Club early evenings with other officers.

14 minutes ago, Tallante said:

We were on From Cape Town to Singapore in March/ April 2019 and the crew were very visible. Captain Tim was around all the time as were the Hotel and Catering Manager. In fact Luca and Antonio were a hilarious double Act. David and Yvonne, Assistant Cruise Directors were delightful, extremely talented and good dining companions. The doctor and nurses were often to be found in the Club early evenings with other officers.

Dittol

We were on that cruise also and I'm with you on your post.  Captain Tim was very visible and agree with you about the double act!  I had a lovely moment when I gave in and decided to have the Napa Burger round the pool for lunch (an indulgence!)  There were no tables to eat it, but Antonio served it to me on my sunbed with a tray, a table cloth, linen serviette etc, and a flourish!  We also ate with both the CD and his two assistants.  The whole cruise staff wise was a delight.  

Edited by Mauzac

The Ovation is one ship we haven’t sailed on so it will be interesting to see how it compares to the Encore, which although is a beautiful ship, the service and.crew were not as good as the  Sojourn. The exception was Handré, Cruise Director, who was fabulous.