Early Saver dining preference

Bandy Matelot

We are advised by Cunard that our request for 2nd sitting on our forthcoming cruise has been noted but as we booked an Early Saver fare we only have second preference and our dining will be confirmed on boarding with no amendments allowed.  I would be interested to learn if anyone has experience of their wishes not being accommodated and whether a visit to the maitre d is likely to bring success.

11 minutes ago, Bandy Matelot said:

We are advised by Cunard that our request for 2nd sitting on our forthcoming cruise has been noted but as we booked an Early Saver fare we only have second preference and our dining will be confirmed on boarding with no amendments allowed.  I would be interested to learn if anyone has experience of their wishes not being accommodated and whether a visit to the maitre d is likely to bring success.

Think you will be okay.

If not, a visit to th Maitre D on boarding, as they are always willing to assist, but sometimes it may take a couple of days.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Inserting they

No amendments allowed ?  Take no notice of what a shoreside agent tells you. 

Restaurant and table allocation are the full responsibility of the duty Maitre'd . Confirming what other posters have advised, speak with the Maitre'd  shortly after your embarkation who will manage your request on the day. The restaurant team are very accommodating and will endeavour to meet your needs. Maybe not immediately for the first evening . 

When you get onboard and go to your cabin the daily paper will be there and it usually states a time to visit the restaurant for any dining amendment requests. Do not just go at any time as there is no guarantee that there will be anybody there.

58 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

When you get onboard and go to your cabin the daily paper will be there and it usually states a time to visit the restaurant for any dining amendment requests. Do not just go at any time as there is no guarantee that there will be anybody there.

Agreed, but it has been made known by MDs, that in the past, the Q outside Britannia has commenced well before they have opened the doors.

• 1 month later...

On both the QM2 crossings I did this year, the early sitting was oversubscribed with a waitlist whereas anyone wanting to move to second sitting could be accommodated quickly (thanks to the waitlist of people wanting to eat earlier).

I also believe that you will get second seating.  On all of my cruises I have been waitlisted for first seating when booking (full price as we do not have Saver Fares in Canada).  However, always get first seating at boarding.

I have heard many times that second seating is never full. I am sure you will get second seating. If not, see maitre'd.

Yep, I'm with all you guys.

Not sure what an "Early Saver" is. 

2nd shift - you'll be fine. Don't think about it again until you get on board, then, 1st day, speak to the Maitre d'Hotel to confirm your seats. You do not say your requested table size - confirm that with him/her at the same time. 

Not a problem - if you are pro-active once on board. 

There should be some notice in the daily program about when the MdH is available - before you sit down to supper.

Lastly, whatever happens, if you are not happy with your table after evening #1, just ask 'em to move you.

Edited by Canuker

I disagree. We always request late sitting but have now been allocated early sitting on three occasions. It seems bizarre as more people want early sitting. Nevertheless, thats what happened to us. On each occasion we queued up to speak to the md and were changed to late sitting with no problem.  

I hope you get what you want. If you don't, just join the queue. You will be able to swap. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 10:42 PM, Bandy Matelot said:

If you had booked the Cunard fare you, would have had the dining time you requested, but you have chosen the cheaper fare, so you get what is available,  which is only fair to the people who have paid the full amount.🍷🥃

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:22 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Agreed, but it has been made known by MDs, that in the past, the Q outside Britannia has commenced well before they have opened the doors.

On my recent voyages the posted embarkation day hours for seating change requests has been 1:30-3:00.

55 minutes ago, 57eric said:

On my recent voyages the posted embarkation day hours for seating change requests has been 1:30-3:00.

But the Q outside the closed doors of Britannia can start assembling 30 minutes before the MD opens for business.

12 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

But the Q outside the closed doors of Britannia can start assembling 30 minutes before the MD opens for business.

Then, if you're going for late dining, wait until closer to 3:00.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

All of my previous bookings have used the Early Saver Fare and - eventually - I’ve always got my dining preference (although I much prefer second seating!). Out of four cruises, I’ve automatically being allocated my preference on three of them. 

I’d suggest checking your allocation as soon as possible when you arrive in your stateroom and, if it’s not what you want, seeing the MD as soon as you can (as others have mentioned, there is usually a designated slot and it can be very busy). 

Have a great trip. 

AF

I get somewhat hacked off with people who want both "their cake and eat it as it were".  In short they go for the cheaper fare option and then spend their time trying to circumvent the conditions attached to their chosen fare by trying to secure what they opted not to have in the first place, in preference to a fare reduction.  My sentiments are with Luckymal above, if you want the benefits of the Cunard Fare, pay the Cunard Fare prices....

40 minutes ago, Dajo5601 said:

I get somewhat hacked off with people who want both "their cake and eat it as it were".  In short they go for the cheaper fare option and then spend their time trying to circumvent the conditions attached to their chosen fare by trying to secure what they opted not to have in the first place, in preference to a fare reduction.  My sentiments are with Luckymal above, if you want the benefits of the Cunard Fare, pay the Cunard Fare prices....

Well said! There are quite a lot of people on the QE now (I am on this cruise) who were on the early/saver fare and on a dining sitting that is not to their liking. It is a long trip to be unhappy!

• Like 2