Enchanted Princess - Salty Dog replaces Vines

wdrl

We received the Princess magazine, Destination Collection yesterday.  When looking at the deck plans for the ships I noticed that for the Enchanted Princess Vines has been replaced with the Salty Dog.  I know on other ships the Salty Dog was on the pool deck.  I am disappointed that Princess has removed a bar from the Plaza area.   And I will really miss the wine selections we often prefer those wines to the ones in the dining room.  Couldn't they have removed the Gelato and Collections shop instead?  Neither of those item venues are used much on the cruises I have taken, so they cannot be profitable for Princess.

BTW, Vines is still shown in place for the Sky Princess.

How do you all feel about this change?

• Like 2

Looking forward to it. Rather than the updated pool deck grill, it’s supposed to be a gastro pub concept similar to the ones added to the Wheelhouse on some Grand Class ships. We enjoyed it on the Emerald so it will be good to see it properly evolved in its own venue. Shame it has been added by sacrificing Vines though as we also enjoy there due to the improved wine selections as you have said. 

Both the Enchanted and the Sky have the Salty Dog Grill on the pool deck. It's basically the trident grill with some different menu selections. It's no charge except for the Eneresto Burger which is $5 or $8 with a beer.

The Enchanted also has the Salty Dog GastroPub on deck 5. This is a charge venue. On the Crown, Emerald and Ruby the charge is $12. Menus can be found on line.

I would imagine that there will be a selection of wines right in the gastropub or one of the other bars. Once the ship sails I guess we will find out. An artist concept of the gastropub does show a bar.

If it's a Gastropub similar to those in the Wheelhouse Bar on some ships, I sure hope they have at least some regular height tables and chairs.  The current setup is difficult, if not impossible, for anyone with a mobility issue getting onto or off a bar/counter height stool.  

We'll miss Vines.

Edited by capriccio
  • Thanks 1

I don't see this as a cut back. It's an additional and optional dining location, probably $12, like the Gastropub on the 3 other ships and Planks and Steamers on the Caribbean. Regarding Vines. It's difficult to believe Princess would eliminate a popular location like Vines, risk losing all that revenue, without a plan to sell wines in an alternate venue. My thinking is that wines enjoyed at Vines will now be enjoyed in the Gastropub. According to the artist drawing I have seen the Gastropub will have a bar area. Once the Enchanted sails more information will be available.

5 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

It’s not really a cutback but you’re right about more fees but at $12 it’s not exactly going to break the bank.

Taking away another lounge/bar is a cut back.  The Salty Dog not appealing to me at all. Have tried it a couple of times and not worth my time. It was always empty when I walked by. IMO like Share it’s another DUD.   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

I'd prefer Vines to a gastropub where I probably won't be eating that type of food and the wine selection will be more limited than a wine bar.  Also didn't Vines have free snacks?  No more free snacks.

We did 28 days on Emerald where Salty Dog Gastropub is inside Wheelhouse. It took up a lot of space, had super high tables, and was always empty. We enjoyed Vines most evenings and yes, if you are having wine they offer free food. We found it to be a very relaxing place to visit. We could have a nice glass (or two) of wine, people watch, and have a nice nosh. I can't understand why they would remove Vines. It's part of what makes cruising Princess so nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since a good quality wine is my adult beverage of choice, I can understand why the elimination of Vines irritates some Princess cruisers.  On Royal Princess, the venue was well patronized I thought.  The platter of nice snacks provided was welcome (loved the olives!).  But, the atmosphere seemed pretentious to me.

I have not experienced Salty Dog, but the concept is of interest to me.  Is the trade-off of one venue for another?  I can't say.

Edited by rkacruiser