Passengers annoyed with Regent : Tokyo to Vancouver 2021

mrstanley

All of the passengers booked or waitlisted on the Explorer Tokyo to Vancouver cruise

in 2021 should be very annoyed with Regent. Shortening the cruise by one night and not

compensating passengers monetarily isn't the right thing to do. Giving each passenger

a $250 ship board credit just doesn't cover the money lost for all those 700 + people

booked. The issue is a docking issue in Vancouver that has changed the itinerary on this

cruise. Ok.. things happen . Regent should do the right thing and credit back to everyone on

their credit card the difference for the lost night. We are talking about a lot of money per suite.

The $500 per suite doesn't cover my loss. I don't want any shipboard credit or credits to be used on a future cruise. 

I want the difference credited back on my credit card. All those who are annoyed should really complain to their

TA or contact Regent directly.

Jason Montague.... President & CEO.   JMontague@rscc.com

• Like 1

Rather difficult to credit your CC when you have not made the final payment!  But I understand you point about wanted a lower price by prorating the cost per day by one day.

You do have the option to cancel for a full refund (including the deposit) and receive the $500 credit for two passengers for use on a different cruise.

I doubt if anyone will actually cancel for the full refund, but “good for them” if they do it because of the principle.

I am sorry to hear about the lost of a day. I suppose if everyone would cancel, Regent would find many people who would pay the current rate.

I had a14 day cruise cancelled on a different cruise line, but I received a generous cruise credit to use on a different cruise.

Good luck with your campaign.

• Thanks 1

jagoffee:  I would be happy to have Regent credit the money back after I make final payment.

I'm not going to cancel as we really want to take this cruise. Crystal Cruise line had no problem crediting all the passengers on a river cruise 20% of the fare they paid  due to itinerary changes. The issue was low water levels in the Rhine and the itinerary changed

3 times during the 14 days. This was an issue that certainly was not the fault of Crystal. Regent should credit money back after final payment. I think most passengers would be happy with that. We would. 

3 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

jagoffee:  I would be happy to have Regent credit the money back after I make final payment.

I'm not going to cancel as we really want to take this cruise. Crystal Cruise line had no problem crediting all the passengers on a river cruise 20% of the fare they paid  due to itinerary changes. The issue was low water levels in the Rhine and the itinerary changed

3 times during the 14 days. This was an issue that certainly was not the fault of Crystal. Regent should credit money back after final payment. I think most passengers would be happy with that. We would. 

Why credit back after final payment.  Just adjust final payment for all those booked before the itinerary change.  Lots simpler. 

• Like 1

Agree the easiest thing to do to make passengers feel better is change the final payment by subtracting a fair amount of money from final payment to compensate for day we are missing. Just whatever the perdiem is for that cruise. As a show of good faith and showing how Regent cares for its loyal passengers, keep the OBC also. After all, the OBC is spent on board. Naturally, I doubt Regent will do this.

I agree that this should be the solution,  but also not very hopeful that it will happen. We are not cancelling as we are on the entire Grand Voyage. We will definitely ask for a credit of the one night hotel they are offering as we have no interest in using it.
i don’t know why they are so stingy. Last year on the world cruise, after we spent an extra day in Bali due to the grounding and subsequently missed the next port, they provided a future cruise credit of 10% of the cruise fare. Everybody seemed to believe that was generous.

1 minute ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I agree they should adjust the price of the cruise downwards to reflect the lost day, and then maybe still give you the credit (plus the hotel?)

Well...as an accountant I would say adjust price down or give hotel originally not included... individual passenger decision.  Either way, obc should still be given for goodwill. 

• Like 1

rcandkc:  I'm only on from Tokyo to Vancouver. I don't want any hotel stay as part of any compensation. A hotel stay in either city won't compensate me for the lost night. Now stuck with $500 OBC to use ....on overpriced Spa services or overpriced items the Boutique. 

I'm surprised that Regent would only offer an OBC as compensation - especially as being the "most inclusive cruise line" there really isn't that much one could spend their money on other than the spa and shopping? I would definitely be asking my TA to push back on this. Regent's offer reflects poorly on them which is a shame. If they had just done the right thing from the get go there would be people talking about how fair and proactive they are in keeping their customers happy instead of people now talking about them negatively.

• Like 1

We had generous OBC on our cruise this spring and we were very hard pressed to spend it!   I think that the honorable thing to do would be to deduct the day from the final payment.  Anything else is gravy and not expected or necessary, IMO.  

I think the most troubling part of this is that Regent seems to be taking its customers for granted.  I admit that I have always been a loyalist because Regent fit us like an old, comfortable shoe.  But, for the first time in 8 years, I am looking at other cruise lines - reading reviews and commentary to see if these other lines might be a good fit.  

I’ve emailed the key players as well as my TA to see what she can do.  The bottom line is that this episode leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  

13 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

rcandkc:  I'm only on from Tokyo to Vancouver. I don't want any hotel stay as part of any compensation. A hotel stay in either city won't compensate me for the lost night. Now stuck with $500 OBC to use ....on overpriced Spa services or overpriced items the Boutique. 

That is why I think they should give you the choice,,price adjustment or hotel...your decision. 

We are also considering other cruise lines after cruising Regent exclusively with 8 cruises over 7 years.    This whole experience has us feeling very negative towards Regent.  In addition to expressing our displeasure to our TA (who books MANY Regent cruises) we will also use the contact information kindly provided by a previous poster to contact Regent leadership directly.  I think what annoys me the most is the disingenuous suggestion that we are somehow getting “price protection” because the cost of the cruise went up after we booked, when the reality is that we are not getting the cruise we paid for due to Regent’s cutting the cruise length by one day.  Who came up with that explanation?  Do they think we are stupid?

1 hour ago, mrstanley said:

Or laundry service or wine tastings or excursion upcharges...

Just throwing out some options there.

I now have a dog in this "fight".  We were wait-listed for several months--for several category suites to "afford" a better chance of getting onboard.   Our TA (who books many, many Regent cruises) advised there is a long waiting list for this particular segment.  

This PM, TA advised we are now onboard for this 18-day segment.  Not the suite location we would have preferred--but it is likely some options will open up during the nearly 19 months before Tokyo to put us closer (and lower on the ship) to where we would prefer to rest in the north Pacific. 

So, someone, for whatever reason, did exercise the option to cancel.  Whatever.  

GOARMY!

Let's see if we can distill it down to the basics.

• Regent offered a cruise with a particular itinerary
  • Folks bought that itinerary
  • Regent changed the itinerary
  • Regent made an offer for their estimate of adequate compensation
  • Folks don't like the offer made
  • Folks don't like the option to cancel
  • Folks want Regent to change their offer.
  • Folks don't want either the offer, nor do they want to cancel
  • Folks are demanding a change to the offer

So let me add my projected next line:

• Regent isn't going to change that offer, so take your choice - irrespective of what you otherwise want

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mrstanley is completely correct in being annoyed with this whole situation and it happened to us on Regent a couple of years ago. Mrstanley chose a specific cruise, for whatever reason, on certain dates for a certain itinerary at a certain price point that Regent was offering. If he had wanted to go on Celebrity to save $$ and get 2 bathrooms or even charter a private yacht, he would have done so. Unless an act of God or military emergency  was in place....the product should be delivered as advertised. I doubt that Regent is aware of any upcoming disasters and this leaves a sour taste in your mouth . The implication that this an unreasonable expectation is annoying.

In ten years of cruising with Regent we’ve missed a few ports (weather) and had one itinerary completely revamped (geopolitical unrest) but for the most part they’ve always delivered on their promises.

But in this case I think they need to step up.  Regardless of why they made the change, they made the change - and people aren’t getting what they paid for.  I don’t know about most people but I tend to look at the per diem costs when we choose a cruise since we’re usually limited to two weeks or less.  Cutting a day out of a shorter cruise has a significant impact on the per diem cost and in my book it sends the wrong message to loyal Regent customers...”your money matters more to us than it does to you”.  To me, it’s no different than if I’d booked two weeks in a luxury resort at $1,000 per night and before I checked in they told me I needed to leave a day early but the amount due was still $14,000 for the 13 nights.  It’s just wrong, IMO.

In this case it seems that shareholders > passengers.  Sad.

• Like 7

Yes, it is sad. Sometimes I think we need an economic down turn just to get the message out that companies cannot take customers for granted.

incidentally, I noticed that the Regent Suite is now available for this cruise. Apparently, the people booked in that suite did not appreciate the offer of a $500 OBC for their $10K/night cabin.