Has something changed with FTTF?

bigdawgmatty

Or am I just crazy? (Could be both)

in the past, you were required to choose a check-in time to gain access to the terminal but could disregard that appointment window if you were Diamond, Platinum or FTTF. 

Has this changed? The rep I just spoke with said to stick with our appointment window even with FTTF.  Appointment window is 12:30-1. 

Is this correct now? Or were they misunderstanding me?

Fort Lauderdale, boarding tomorrow on the Magic. 

There is still a priority line for FTTF.

I had FTTF when I cruised on the Magic in June out of FLL.  I showed up at around 10:25 am and went through a priority line for FTTF passengers. I checked in and was told that my cabin would be ready immediately and then I waited until FTTF was called to board.  They called FTTF around 10:50 am.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bigdawgmatty said:

Thanks, but what they are telling me is that we shouldn’t even arrive at the terminal until our appointment time. In the past, the appointment time didn’t matter with FTTF 

They are wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bigdawgmatty said:

Thanks, but what they are telling me is that we shouldn’t even arrive at the terminal until our appointment time. In the past, the appointment time didn’t matter with FTTF 

Maybe it is their way of hoping everyone doesn't show up at once.  I am Platinum and I have to pick a time as well.  I was there well before my check in time on the last cruise and I "cruised" right on to the ship.  

Unless they changed things (which I hope they didn't), I wouldn't worry about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bigdawgmatty said:

The appointment time only applies to the regular line,  not the priority line or the early/late line.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, bigdawgmatty said:

They are wrong.  You still get priority boarding with FTTF.  Just disregard your arrival appointment.  Nothing has changed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

They are wrong.  You still get priority boarding with FTTF.  Just disregard your arrival appointment.  Nothing has changed.

If that were the new rules there would be a flood of posts here. Arrive as early as you like.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigdawgmatty said:

Well, that would not be the first time (or last, I'm guessing) that a CSR gave out totally incorrect information. As others have stated, show up when you want. The official Carnival policy on FTTF boarding is as follows:

"A dedicated security and check-in lane has been set aside for all Priority guests on embarkation day. FTTF guests will board after VIFP Diamond, Platinum and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations."

• Thanks 2

The reason they told you to adhere to your time is that they are having a US Coast Guard inspection which will definitely impact the boarding time.  My guess is that they will be at least an hour or two beyond the normal boarding time. Terminal  26 has very limited seating so you may be standing outside.

If you call the Carnival call center 15 times and ask the same question, you're going to get 15 different answers. Ignore what they told you. You can get there as soon as the terminal opens with FTTF and will board the ship after B2B, weddings, diamond, platinum and suite guests. You do still pick a check-in time, but you can ignore it.

We just got off the Victory yesterday. We were given the 12:30-1:00 timeslot for FTTF. We showed up at the terminal at 10:30 and were on the ship at 11. Room was ready. Big doors were closed but go through,  your your room should be ready.

• Thanks 1

They've always encouraged everyone, including priority passengers, to choose an arrival time that coincides with the time you'll actually arrive at the terminal. That helps staggered check-in run as efficiently as possible. Despite that, they do allow priority passengers to get in earlier.

Also, as has been mentioned, their customer service reps. are notorious for giving bad information. I think what you experienced was a little bit of both. Ideally, they want people to show up within their check-in window, so she told you not to go earlier, but she probably should've said you're allowed in if you do go early.

So sad that you can't count on the people who are there to answer your questions to get the answers right!

But as others have said, with FTTF you can disregard your checkin time and just go when you like. If checkin hasn't begun because of delays for some reason, you'll be able to check in and board accordingly.

Edited by Shaded Lady

It defeats the purpose of paying for FTTF, which includes priority boarding, if you have to wait for your appointment time like the people who did not purchase it.  That makes no sense at all.  When I cruised on the Magic, but before I purchased FTTF, I was given a boarding zone when I printed my boarding pass.  After I purchased FTTF and reprinted my boarding pass, the zone was removed.  There is a priority line FTTF and the boarding zones and appointment times are no longer applicable. Anyway, the appointment time is for regular boarding.

Edited by TNcruising02

One other reason you need to pick a check-in time window is for when embarkation is delayed several hours for any number of reasons. When Carnival knows about this ahead of time, they will notify passengers to show up during their check-in window X hours later (for example, check-in times are pushed back 4 hours for everyone). Frequently when they do this they go strictly by the modified check-in windows and don’t offer priority boarding. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 11:48 AM, TNcruising02 said:

It defeats the purpose of paying for FTTF, which includes priority boarding, if you have to wait for your appointment time like the people who did not purchase it.  That makes no sense at all.

It makes perfect sense when they want staggered check-ins to work as well as they're designed to. Not all priority passengers are able to take advantage of early boarding because of their travel arrangements or their own preferences (some like to explore the home port city or simply prefer to wait until later to board). Ideally, if priority passengers know they're not arriving at the terminal until later, Carnival would prefer those people choose an arrival appointment that matches the time they'll actually arrive. But what usually happens is, people pick the earliest window available, even if they know they won't be there that early. The way I see it, if someone knows they're not arriving until later, pick a later window, because the early times could be left open for general boarding passengers who will actually use them. As a priority passenger, even if you pick a later time but happen to arrive earlier than expected, you can still get in.

In addition, FTTF includes perks other than early boarding, so I don't think it defeats the purpose at all. It's definitely one of the perks we take advantage of, but I've seen countless people say they buy it but don't board early.

21 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

It makes perfect sense when they want staggered check-ins to work as well as they're designed to. Not all priority passengers are able to take advantage of early boarding because of their travel arrangements or their own preferences (some like to explore the home port city or simply prefer to wait until later to board). Ideally, if priority passengers know they're not arriving at the terminal until later, Carnival would prefer those people choose an arrival appointment that matches the time they'll actually arrive. But what usually happens is, people pick the earliest window available, even if they know they won't be there that early. The way I see it, if someone knows they're not arriving until later, pick a later window, because the early times could be left open for general boarding passengers who will actually use them. As a priority passenger, even if you pick a later time but happen to arrive earlier than expected, you can still get in.

In addition, FTTF includes perks other than early boarding, so I don't think it defeats the purpose at all. It's definitely one of the perks we take advantage of, but I've seen countless people say they buy it but don't board early.

I think the majority of people who purchase FTTF do so with the intention of boarding early and having access to their cabin immediately.  If they insisted that FTTF people wait until their appointment time to arrive, it would defeat the purpose of the perk of boarding early and also of having access to their cabin early.  My point was that it didn't make sense that Carnival would require those who purchased FTTF to wait until their appointment time to arrive.  The appointment time is only applicable to the regular line, not the priority line or the early/late line.

For our last cruise on the Horizon, we were Platinum.  I went online at roughly 3 am the first day I could check in.  I was not given a choice of check in times.  It only had 12:30-1:00.  I just figured that because we were Platinum that they had assigned a random time slot for us,  knowing that we could check in any time.

On 10/14/2019 at 4:58 PM, TNcruising02 said:

I think the majority of people who purchase FTTF do so with the intention of boarding early and having access to their cabin immediately.  If they insisted that FTTF people wait until their appointment time to arrive, it would defeat the purpose of the perk of boarding early and also of having access to their cabin early.  My point was that it didn't make sense that Carnival would require those who purchased FTTF to wait until their appointment time to arrive.  The appointment time is only applicable to the regular line, not the priority line or the early/late line.

I never said Carnival "insisted" or "required." They recommend, or encourage, people to choose an arrival time that coincides with their actual arrival. This includes all priority passengers (not just FTTF). Once upon a time, this recommendation was passed on to the Carnival public through their brand ambassador on multiple occasions.

Carnival doesn't care WHY someone buys FTTF. They don't care if someone chooses to buy FTTF then doesn't use one, or more, of the perks. I agree that early boarding/cabin being ready are two of the big draws, but Carnival doesn't care if they are used or not. Yes, the arrival appointment is, technically, only applicable to general boarding, but that's only because priority passengers don't have to strictly adhere to it. But it's there for ALL passengers, not just general boarding.