Fish Bowl and Pitchers

Keys2Heaven

I'm going to ask a loaded question. So, I just found out about these fish bowls and pitchers now available at Red Frog Pub from watching some cruise videos from some vloggers who went on a similar cruise a few months ago. Looks like a very cost effective way to enjoy that first DoD, especially after learning what they put in one.

My question is this....how long do you think it will take for Carnival to do away with these, or greatly scale back the amount of liquor some have reported seeing dumped in these? No, it's not about the booze per se, but value.

I just have this feeling that by the time our cruise rolls around next May, these will either have been discontinued or so watered down it won't be worth it.

26 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

I'm going to ask a loaded question. So, I just found out about these fish bowls and pitchers now available at Red Frog Pub from watching some cruise videos from some vloggers who went on a similar cruise a few months ago. Looks like a very cost effective way to enjoy that first DoD, especially after learning what they put in one.

My question is this....how long do you think it will take for Carnival to do away with these, or greatly scale back the amount of liquor some have reported seeing dumped in these? No, it's not about the booze per se, but value.

I just have this feeling that by the time our cruise rolls around next May, these will either have been discontinued or so watered down it won't be worth it.

These are common at many bars, and are meant to share.  If you try to just get it for the increased booze, (aka value), it will probably be watered down quite a bit by the time you finish imo.  Not sure they would get rid of them, unless people stop buying the drink package and only getting them, which I doubt.

Fishbowls are not pre-mixed in a jug or watered down.  We had several on our last cruise and the only thing in the jug was the sour mix, like a typical bar.  The bartender loaded up a shaker with ice and alcohol and then put the sour mix in.  very strong and excellent.  For roughly $20 I feel its a good deal, even more so when it’s on special!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darwal said:

Fishbowls are not pre-mixed in a jug or watered down.  We had several on our last cruise and the only thing in the jug was the sour mix, like a typical bar.  The bartender loaded up a shaker with ice and alcohol and then put the sour mix in.  very strong and excellent.  For roughly $20 I feel its a good deal, even more so when it’s on special!

You had a different experience than me then. I watched them fill the glass with ice and pour straight from a jug. 

5 hours ago, Darwal said:

This was our experience on the Sunrise in September.  We watched them make my drink, it was great. 

9 hours ago, Keys2Heaven said:

We haven't been on a ship with Red Frog since 2017, so looking forward to trying one on the Miracle next year! I thought they were new but looks like they've been out for awhile.

Not sure if you are talking about the Red Frog Pub itself or the fish bowl drinks. The Red Frog Pub has been around since 2011 when the first one came out on Magic. The fish bowls have been around as far as I can remember, but someone with a better memory than me might know when they first started selling them. 

I was on Vista last week and sat at the Red Frog Pub bar during happy hour and watched them mix some fish bowls and unless the alcohol is watered down in the bottle they were being very generous with how much they were putting in the drinks. They were not using shots but measuring cups to pour the liquor in. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TEXSUN46 said:

I was on Vista last week and sat at the Red Frog Pub bar during happy hour and watched them mix some fish bowls and unless the alcohol is watered down in the bottle they were being very generous with how much they were putting in the drinks. They were not using shots but measuring cups to pour the liquor in. 

That's what some else said. I can't imagine a better drink for $10! Will definitely share.

Fish bowls were $20 plus gratuity in 2016.  Still worth the money for the amount you get.  I've only had one & shared it with friends.  Seems like volume was equal to 3 or 4 drinks.  It's also limited to just the Caribbean cocktails.

Pub Grub costs extra, but the pigeon peas are free.  Seems like there was something else that was free, but I can't remember for sure.

All this talk about fish bowls have made me thirsty. A question, regarding happy hour and 1/2 off specials. Is it offered daily(and at what times), or only on shore days? (and at what time). I've heard they've offered it on embarkation day, like at 12:30-2:00 pm, or something like that. Can anyone shed some light on this?

We were on the Magic a month ago and the happy hour was offered twice. First day and I believe the third day. I got several pitchers for $10 each and my husband got a case a 1/2 of beer for 1/2 price. Lasted him the week. Next cruise we are on the Horizon and I don't see a Red Frog Pub. Hoping some bar has the happy hour deals.

"...a case a 1/2 of beer for 1/2 price..."

Sorry.  Don't quite understand what you're saying here.  And case-and-a-half?  The bar will sell you a week's worth of beer during Happy Hour?  I thought a bucket of 4 beers was the most you could purchase at one time, which is what I'd planned on doing on Saturday on Sunshine.

Horizon has the Pig & Anchor Smokehouse/Brewhouse.  I hate several beers there on the TA.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:00 PM, cruising maniac said:

We were on the Magic a month ago and the happy hour was offered twice. First day and I believe the third day. I got several pitchers for $10 each and my husband got a case a 1/2 of beer for 1/2 price. Lasted him the week. Next cruise we are on the Horizon and I don't see a Red Frog Pub. Hoping some bar has the happy hour deals.

how did you buy a case of beer half price? My husband would love that for our upcoming cruise

3 hours ago, Cruisinangel2 said:

If you purchase CHEERS are you allowed to get the FishBowl, Samplers and buckets?

Shareable drinks are not part of cheers. However all fishbowls drinks are available in individual sizes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruisinangel2 said:

If you purchase CHEERS are you allowed to get the FishBowl, Samplers and buckets?

Your question is valid.  Will a server refuse you the option to PURCHASE a fishbowl because you already have Cheers?  Some people say yes, where some people say no, and still others will call you an alcoholic and make bad jokes about a referral to A.A.

I would really like to know the answer myself.  Not just an opinion, or an anecdote, or a rebuke.  The answer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, angiem0217 said:

how did you buy a case of beer half price? My husband would love that for our upcoming cruise

During happy hour they are half off.  You can buy as many buckets as you want pretty much.  Ive seen people buy several buckets and take them to their room for later.