EZAir options

geoherb

I'm looking at taking a partial Panama Canal cruise in December. I already know about flying in a day early but probably won't be able to for this cruise. Would it be better to book an EZAir flight that's nonstop from Raleigh but doesn't land until 1:30 p.m. or flights with a change of planes in Atlanta or Charlotte to arrive at 9:30 or 10 a.m.?  What happens if my flight(s) don't make it in time? Does Princess put me up in Fort Lauderdale or send me on to the next port as soon as possible and put me up there?

Edited by geoherb

I would book the direct flight with a princess transfer from the airport.  We were delayed once, got into FLL at 4:30 but Princess was waiting for us at the airport and they held the ship.  If that doesn't happen, they will fly you to your first stop...probably Grand Cayman?  and you'll board there.  That would not be horrible.  

I actually think it would be horrible to miss the first few days of a cruise -- and to have to join it in a tender port, trying to juggle luggage.  No, thank you.  Much as I hate flights at the crack of dawn, I'd go with the earliest possible connection, even if it leaves at oh-dark-thirty. 

What about a nonstop into MIA?  I believe AA has a couple very early nonstops from RDU (or at least they used to, back when I lived in CH).  That would relieve the angst of a connection and still get you in early enough so that you can easily make it to the port -- probably in time to board for lunch. 

That is quite a difficult choice. We HAVE to fly on the day of this December because our cruise from California to Hawaii leaves the day after our granddaughter takes her last exam at NCSU. We took the earliest non-stop from Charlotte to LAX. We are going to hold our breath and hope we make it. The time zones are in our favor but you are going in the same zone so no help there. I would probably go with the earliest one but avoid Atlanta where I have had bad experiences in the past.

Edited by katisdale

I have been on quite a few sailings where the ship was held for late arriving pax.  The OP can take the non-stop flight through EZair and buy the transfer to the ship from Princess so they will be committed to getting you to the ship before it sails.  The trip from the airport to the ship in FLL is maybe 15 minutes.  You can take the earlier flights but then your risk goes up since two flights will be involved.  If EZair will sell you the direct flight then they are betting on an on time conclusion.  

5 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

If EZair will sell you the direct flight then they are betting on an on time conclusion.  

EZ-Air allows up to a 2pm arrival for PE departures (assuming the standard time of 4pm sailaway).  So it is "situation normal" to Princess to have a 1:30pm arrival.  I'd never dream of attempting that from the north in winter, but from RDU, not an impossibility.

Hi Geoherb, this is what happened to me a couple years ago trying to catch the Caribbean Princess for the Transatlantic to Southampton. I had booked EZAir to FLL from LAX with a connection in ATL to arrive the morning of embarkation on a redeye. Unfortunately weather caused ATL to be shut down and I did not find out till I arrived at LAX. It was a mess and Delta could not get me to FLL and no other airlines either, when I called the en route delay number which at that time of night was being answered by Australia, they were no help, just said have DL get you to FLL and then we will try to get you to next port which was Bermuda. 

Unless you also have travel insurance EZair only covers the air to get you to the next port that you can embark, please know the next port in your itinerary may not be equipped to have embarking passengers. 

When I got home it took me 4 hours to get thru back to DL, they offered to get me to FLL on Friday, the cruise was leaving Thursday. Finally after calling EZAir again, I was offered fly to Bermuda early and wait for ship or fly the day ship is to arrive in Bermuda, but if I miss ship again, I am on my own. I decided to fly 2 days early and wait for the ship, hotel is NOT paid by EZAir unless you had travel insurance, so that expense was on me.

i would book the early arrival flights as there are many ATL to FLL flights instead of the one nonstop, which if cancelled you might miss first day embarkation.

Passengers should realize sometimes the ship cannot wait for late arriving passengers and EZAir only protects you to get to the next port that will allow embarkation, not all next ports on itineraries have this capability. Also they might think EZAir pays for hotels if you miss the ship, No, only flight to catch up with the ship and you are also responsible to get to the ship from this new airport on your own, transfer is not included.

30 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

OP is going out of port everglades and they can wait a reasonable amount of time

I'm in a similar situation as OP. Can you please explain why in port everglades ship can wait a little bit? Also, if just a few passengers got delayed, would they still wait? Is there any way to find out  many passengers will take the same flight?

1 hour ago, wallyj said:

EZAir only protects you to get to the next port that will allow embarkation, not all next ports on itineraries have this capability.

Can I assume if the port is not tender, I can embark? Or they must have immigration or custom?

5 hours ago, satxdiver said:

buy the transfer to the ship from Princess so they will be committed to getting you to the ship before it sails. 

Would you please explain the commitment of Princess transfer? Does this mean if my flight arrives before the ship sails, Princess transfer will contact the ship/call the pilot to wait for me? But if I take uber,  there is no way to contact the ship, even through EZair department as they're not local and can't contact the ship directly?

The ship can wait in PE because there are several piers available and most ships leave somewhere around 5ish.  They could simply move to the back of the line of ships leaving port that day.  If you think you may be late (ship is about 15 minutes or less from the airport) you need to take the Princess shuttle so that they know you are not there yet. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rdsqrl said:

What about a nonstop into MIA?  I believe AA has a couple very early nonstops from RDU (or at least they used to, back when I lived in CH).  That would relieve the angst of a connection and still get you in early enough so that you can easily make it to the port -- probably in time to board for lunch. 

Above is your best choice if flights to MIA are practical.

1 hour ago, satxdiver said:

OP is going out of port everglades and they can wait a reasonable amount of time

They might wait, but I would not count on that happening.

There is no set answer to the question.  One factor is why the flight is delayed.  Weather, mechanical issues, etc.  Sometimes the airline is at fault and does the rebooking, other times EZ air is your travel agent.  Alot of the reports of delays never disclose if the airline was on the hook or not and give all credit or blame to Princess.  Sometimes flights are available that same day, the next or even later.   There is always some risk involved, travel insurance is your last protection against financial losses.

Personally,  would book a non stop and Princess Platinum Insurance in your case.  JMHO

Thanks for the replies. Lots of things to consider. I'll definitely have insurance. 

This summer, I booked my airfare to Vancouver on my own through one of the major travel websites. I was flying in the day before my cruise. My flight to Newark was delayed to where I would definitely miss my connection. I was on the phone with Delta for over an hour, but the rep there could not rebook me because my flight was a codeshare with WestJet. I was then on the phone with the major travel website to try to get it resolved. I finally found a wonderful Delta gate agent who was able to switch me to flights that took me through Salt Lake City. 

Thanks. I booked the flight through Atlanta. It leaves a little bit later than the one through Charlotte. Both have about an hour layover. I'll get to FLL around 10 and to the ship in time for lunch if everything goes right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, geoherb said:

Thanks. I booked the flight through Atlanta. It leaves a little bit later than the one through Charlotte. Both have about an hour layover. I'll get to FLL around 10 and to the ship in time for lunch if everything goes right.

Small world.  I live in the Raleigh area and took the same cruise this past February.  We also connected through ATL and had no issues.  IIRC, we got into FLL between 10 and 11 and took the Princess transfer.  We were on board the ship by 1.

We are  doing a Caribbean cruise out of FLL next February and are also flying in the morning of departure.  I do like to arrive before noon.

I do not agree with the folks who say you must arrive a day early.  If the flight is short and they are multiple daily departures like there are from RDU to FLL, there is little risk to flying in the day of departure.  Now if you are flying cross country arriving early might be a good idea.  It would help with the jet lag if nothing else.