Distilled water for CPAP machines

MomC

My wife uses a CPAP.

You can request distilled water in your booking under medical & dietary requirements.  Your steward will place a gallon in your cabin.  No charge.

On our last cruise our steward also brought us an extension cord since the outlet was not close to the bed.

Edited by Oak City Man
  • Like 3

You do not need to purchase distilled water for your CPAP.     Princess will supply a Gallon jug for FREE (for a 7 night cruise, and 2 gallons for a longer cruise)

On your cruise personalizer there is a space to request both the water and an extension cord.    

Go to your Cruise on the Princess website, and on the right hand side Under Guest Check-in there is a link to Accessibility and Dietary Requirements.   Distilled water for your CPAP is on the far right. 

Here is the detail directly from the Princess website.

Distilled water is only provided, for use with your c-pap machine, onboard free of charge in gallon units, provided you submit a request in advance of sailing. Once onboard, simply contact your stateroom steward to request the water to be delivered to your stateroom as needed. If you are participating in an Alaska Cruisetour, the distilled water will also be available to you during your stay at the lodges. To request distilled water for your voyage, please contact our Dietary Coordinator using the dietary request form. Note that for US domestic sailings, advance requests must be received no later than 35 days prior to sailing date. For international sailings, advance requests must be received no later than 65 days prior to sailing. For late requests, we cannot guarantee availability onboard.

Edited by Valiamo
  • Like 1

Your results may vary (as usual with Princess) but I have always asked our cabin steward on his initial meet and greet in our cabin - not in advance, and never had them act surprised and always had the water well before bedtime the first night. They seem quite familiar with this type of request. 

Be sure that if you carry an extension cord (those little 3 foot multi-outlet jobs are great) -- be sure it does NOT have a surge protector built in.  I also keep the cord in my regular suitcase, not my C-PAP bag, since it seems to draw less attention there.

1 hour ago, airgunnerusn said:

I just use tap water. Works just fine.

Tap water is absolutely OK for short periods. The reason you're supposed to use distilled is to prevent mineral build up from tap water. The ship's tap water doesn't have any (or very little) due to the way it's made on the ship.

DH uses CPAP, we have horrible water where we live. Rather than buy distilled water constantly, we have a Zero water filter. When we test the tap water, the dissolved particles are 200+. With the filter, we're lucky to get 3 weeks before we have to change it. Very little mineral deposit, easily cleaned with a 1:2 or 1:3 vinegar:water soak.

I never understand why people reply with "tap water is fine" when people ask about distilled water.  It's free, and easy to request, so why NOT use the distilled water?  I always do, and have never had a problem.  Easy question, easy solution.  Request it in the personalizer.  If it isn't in the cabin (only once did that happen), then ask the steward and she/he will bring it. 

• Like 2

I requested it last week through the cruise personalizer for my husband. Within a couple of days I had received an email from Princess confirming my order and informing me that distilled water is ONLY for use with CPAP machines. If I indeed needed the water, I would need to confirm that I was bringing a CPAP aboard by responding to the email. I responded that yes, I was bringing a CPAP on board and they responded with a Thank you and that it would be delivered to my cabin. It was easy and cost nothing.

5 hours ago, CaliforniaDon said:

Be sure that if you carry an extension cord (those little 3 foot multi-outlet jobs are great) -- be sure it does NOT have a surge protector built in.  I also keep the cord in my regular suitcase, not my C-PAP bag, since it seems to draw less attention there.

Don't forget the duct tape to prevent tripping.

Island Princess Duct Tape.png

9 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

We have always found an outlet behind the bed. It is the European type so we carry an adapter and use that outlet for the CPAP machines along with the regular extension cord we carry. Eliminates the cords across the room.

I’ve used the following adapter in the outlet behind the bed on many Princess cruises.  What I like about it is that I can plug in my CPAP (without using an extension cord), and there is also a place to plug in the bedside table light.  I get both with this adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY5O5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

16 hours ago, catwoman6226 said:

I never understand why people reply with "tap water is fine" when people ask about distilled water.  It's free, and easy to request, so why NOT use the distilled water?  I always do, and have never had a problem.  Easy question, easy solution.  Request it in the personalizer.  If it isn't in the cabin (only once did that happen), then ask the steward and she/he will bring it. 

I usually drop in the "tap water is fine" because one of my patients a number of years ago went on a cruise and used no water (don't know if it was available on the ship he was on). He was afraid to use tap water and was a very unhappy, dried out CPAP user after his cruise.

5 hours ago, pmCruiser said:

I’ve used the following adapter in the outlet behind the bed on many Princess cruises.  What I like about it is that I can plug in my CPAP (without using an extension cord), and there is also a place to plug in the bedside table light.  I get both with this adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY5O5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I use one of these on almost every cruise for my CPAP machine and light.  Occasionally I find the lamp is hardwired and it prevents me from using this approach.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:48 PM, MomC said:

Can I purchase distilled water on the ship for my CPAP machine?

Just go to your Princess info. page & look under medical questions. The request for distilled water SHOULD be free. Also remember to request an extension cord. Princess may confiscate any that you bring aboard for safety concerns.

24 minutes ago, keithm said:

Just go to your Princess info. page & look under medical questions. The request for distilled water SHOULD be free. Also remember to request an extension cord. Princess may confiscate any that you bring aboard for safety concerns.

Do you request the extension cord via the personalizer also?

Edited by cruisegal415