Online Check in - Do I need to get online at midnight?

lesters

Hi everyone - we have been on a number of Carnival cruises but its been almost 2 years and this will be our first time selecting a check in time.  All other cruises were before this was instituted everywhere and we have had FTTF previously (do not have on this cruise as it booked it not that long ago).

So my question is how quickly do the before 1:00 slots fill up.  We are sailing on the Elation so not a large ship... I will try to stay up LOL if needed but if I don't and just work through things first thing in the morning what are my chances of a 12ish check in time?  And really if we get 1:30 that won't be the end of the world, we are leaving from Disneyworld to the port so I dont want to HAVE to be on the road too early but also want to get as much of a full day on board as we can with embarkation day, especially as this one is a short 5 day'er.

Thanks for any advice or experiences!

If I’m up at that time I’ll do it but like for my next one I did it like 12 hours after it opened and still got the earliest time. I had one last year where I booked 60 days out...a month after the times were released...and I was able to get the second earliest time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, creeblee said:

I just booked one the other week and selected my time when I completed the online check in. Also when you select your dining preferences etc. You shouldn't need to go online at midnight.

That is only for cruises within 90 days

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lesters said:

Hi everyone - we have been on a number of Carnival cruises but its been almost 2 years and this will be our first time selecting a check in time.  All other cruises were before this was instituted everywhere and we have had FTTF previously (do not have on this cruise as it booked it not that long ago).

So my question is how quickly do the before 1:00 slots fill up.  We are sailing on the Elation so not a large ship... I will try to stay up LOL if needed but if I don't and just work through things first thing in the morning what are my chances of a 12ish check in time?  And really if we get 1:30 that won't be the end of the world, we are leaving from Disneyworld to the port so I dont want to HAVE to be on the road too early but also want to get as much of a full day on board as we can with embarkation day, especially as this one is a short 5 day'er.

To be sure you will have a good shot at the earliest check in time get on line as early as you can. Its unpredictable as to how many will want the earliest check in. Many posts say that they just flew right through checkin at 130pm. Good luck.

Thanks everyone - just to update.  I did NOT stay up late to complete the check in.  Got online around 5:00 am CST - woke up early by chance not on purpose - and was able to get the 11:30 - 12:00 check in time slot for our Elation cruise in February.   I would have been happy with anytime 12-1 so this is fantastic and with no FTTF this cruise I am very excited for the timeslot - even thought I know we need to hang on to whatever we bring on as a carry on until the rooms are ready.   Likely means some smart packing to try and make it one carry one for the family and checking in the rest!

90 days and counting!!!

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, lesters said:

Thanks everyone - just to update.  I did NOT stay up late to complete the check in.  Got online around 5:00 am CST - woke up early by chance not on purpose - and was able to get the 11:30 - 12:00 check in time slot for our Elation cruise in February.   I would have been happy with anytime 12-1 so this is fantastic and with no FTTF this cruise I am very excited for the timeslot - even thought I know we need to hang on to whatever we bring on as a carry on until the rooms are ready.   Likely means some smart packing to try and make it one carry one for the family and checking in the rest!

90 days and counting!!!

If your boarding zone was assigned when you did your online check-in, I am curious to know what it was.

I also missed the midnight opportunity to check-in.  Completely forgot.  Was in a panic when I remembered and went online around 5 am - and got an 11:30-noon Check-in time. Initially, I was disappointed by that...until nice people here assured me that times vary by port and 11:30 at Tampa is "early."   Boarding Group #A02  (which also hints at "early").

Our countdown clock is ticking away and the excitement is growing...gangway, we'll be on our way to you soon!

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

If your boarding zone was assigned when you did your online check-in, I am curious to know what it was.

I can't see a boarding zone - guessing that will show on my final boarding pass which I cannot see until I make my final payment which is not due until Dec 5th - so won't know this final detail for a month.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lesters said:

I can't see a boarding zone - guessing that will show on my final boarding pass which I cannot see until I make my final payment which is not due until Dec 5th - so won't know this final detail for a month.

Sometimes the boarding zone is given after online check-in.  Other times people get a boarding zone as they enter the terminal.  For my last two cruises, I was assigned a boarding zone when I did my online check-in for the Magic and the Breeze.  Maybe your cruise gives out the zone cards at the terminal.

For my cruise on the Panorama next month, my boarding zone was assigned during my online check in.

Edited by TNcruising02

On 11/4/2019 at 2:03 PM, lesters said:

To ensure you get the time you want, yes,jump on at midnight EST. I just did my check in for my February 2 cruise on the Glory, and because I have FTTF, I wasn’t in a big rush to get on. I went on around 7am, and the earliest time available was 11:30-12:00. I would suspect that if you want a 1:00 time, that will be one of the last ones to go, as most people want the earlier times. 1:00 would probably still be available in the morning, but to be absolutely positive of your choice being there, go on at midnight. 

15 hours ago, Out of Iowa said:

Boarding Group assignment appeared on our boarding papers (which look slightly different different than before).

Note: If you are curious, you can select "print" to view them but opt not to send them to your printer.

Not any more.  I just checked again to make sure.  I can only look at and print our luggage tags.  It won't let me choose Boarding Pass to even look at it until I have paid off the cruise.

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Not any more.  I just checked again to make sure.  I can only look at and print our luggage tags.  It won't let me choose Boarding Pass to even look at it until I have paid off the cruise.

That’s correct. The cruise needs to be paid off by day 90, then you can print everything. You cannot even do your check in until day 90. That changed a little over a year ago, I believe, because I have a B2B booked for April 5&11. I booked the April 11 leg of it 2 years in advance, and was able to do my whole check in information at time of booking. I added the April 5 leg after returning from my Breeze cruise in March. We had so much fun on that class of ship, we wanted to make it longer, plus it is our 50th Anniversary cruise. By then it changed, and I cannot complete the check in until day 90, even though I paid in full at booking. I just completed my check in for my February cruise on the Glory, and printed everything. 

I went online at midnight and got A01 zone. I had fallen asleep and woke up at 11:58! It was very important to me because we have a short cruise and I wanted to make the most of it. I had paid for FTTF for the Cuba cruise but when they cancelled Havana as a port I changed our cruise and the one I chose had a more expensive FTTF so I didn't want to pay for that. PS - I sail in 8 days!!! WOOO HOOOOOOO!!!

• Like 3

On 11/5/2019 at 10:11 AM, lesters said:

90 days and counting!!!

You can still add FTTF if it comes available. There's usually some slots that open as you get closer to the cruise.