what's on your cruise bucket list?

SarahGrace92

45 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Most of my travel hopes are now land based - I’d like to finish what I started in the Middle East a number of years ago - before things “went south” - the Crusader fortifications in Syria and Jordan, a return to Petra - and a longer stay in Constantinople (as a traditionalist, I resist saying Istanbul).  

Did you make it to Krak des Chevaliers?  Outstanding place.

14 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I research my destinations. So far my experience has been that unless one is traveling to an active war zone, the risks of anything bad happening to one particular individual (that could not be prevented by prudent travel habits) are exceedingly low. I find the advice/warnings given on the British government website to be much more targeted and specific (and less influenced by political considerations) than the US equivalent.

More thanks.  I've had a personal motto for many decades: "Don't be where you shouldn't be when you shouldn't be there." It's held me in good stead.   

15 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I find the advice/warnings given on the British government website to be much more targeted and specific (and less influenced by political considerations) than the US equivalent.

Good to know, I'll keep this in mind for any future international travels

45 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

We do not go as far south as Okinawa, but have stops in Hokkaido, Kyushu and Shikoku in addition to Honshu.

Sounds like a great itinerary. When I was researching our options I never found a cruise as comprehensive as that. It was one of three reasons that influenced us to go land based (the second being my strong inclination to see the Japanese Alps and the third being my travelling partner's need to experience onsens😋). Though we will be island hopping Okinawa rather than visiting Hokkaido (too cold for us that time of year). Does your cruise stop at Yakushima Island? 

• Like 1

Circumnavigation cruises appeal to me, though I've never taken one (the nearest so far being a Hawaiin Islands cruise, which I loved).

Australia
New Zealand

Iceland

Newfoundland
Japan

Cuba

It doesn't have to be an island:

Iberia

Greece

South East Asia

I think a slower, more focused cruise like this gives an opportunity to really get to know a particular place and its people.

More than just a vacation.

Edited by Canuker
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, clo said:

.  I've said if you walk up a street and there's a crowd of people in one direction, then go in the other direction.

Then, of course, if you find yourself walking down a darkened, seemingly empty, side street it might also be a good idea to go in the other direction.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Then, of course, if you find yourself walking down a darkened, seemingly empty, side street it might also be a good idea to go in the other direction.

Yep.  I moved to SF in my late 20s having grown up in ATL.  You drive everywhere there and walk/bus it in SF.  That's when I developed a personal safety motto: Don't be where you shouldn't be when you shouldn't be there.  Held me in good stead.

At the top of my cruise bucket list is Alaska. We live on the east coast and have driven rather than flown to all of the cruises we've taken—right now it just isn't in the cards to have all the normal cruise expenses plus flights to Seattle or Vancouver. Hopefully after some career advancement we will be able to do it!

45 minutes ago, Sif said:

At the top of my cruise bucket list is Alaska. We live on the east coast and have driven rather than flown to all of the cruises we've taken—right now it just isn't in the cards to have all the normal cruise expenses plus flights to Seattle or Vancouver. Hopefully after some career advancement we will be able to do it!

No cheap flights out of ATL?

New Zealand and Australia---I have wanted to visit both countries since before they became "the places to visit" and

now I will be able to:classic_biggrin:....I am  retiring on Dec 31st and 2020 is pretty booked up for me now so I will be going down under in 2021:classic_biggrin:

Just now, Aquahound said:

Congratulations Lois!  Enjoy your cruise down under. 😁

Thanks Paul!.....I have 4 cruises booked for 2020:classic_biggrin:.....year long Retirement celebration!

20 minutes ago, Lois R said:

New Zealand and Australia---I have wanted to visit both countries since before they became "the places to visit" and

now I will be able to:classic_biggrin:....I am  retiring on Dec 31st and 2020 is pretty booked up for me now so I will be going down under in 2021:classic_biggrin:

Retirement defined:

When you go to Home Depot, you don't have to look at your watch.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Retirement defined:

When you go to Home Depot, you don't have to look at your watch.

L. O. L. I try to never let Bob get too far away from me.  He gets to wandering....

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Sif said:

I live on the east coast too and have done 3 Alaskan cruises over the years. It is awesome so if you have the chance to go, definitely do it😁

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

A headline yesterday reminded me of another life-time list item: Small-ship cruise in the Galapagos.

The Celebrity Xpedition ran aground on one of those islands, is what I read about. Yikes! 😞 but I would still go!

We attended a celebrity show on Galapagos what I didn’t like besides huge cost was they said tours started every day at 7 am , I am not a morning person