Caneletto Bill on Nieuw Statendam

wesport

Had dinner with a group of five people at the Caneletto. 2 people were two stars. Two were 4 stars, and I am five stars.  My four star friends paid the bill thinking it would be 9.50 pp.  50% discount from 19. Caneletto billed him the whole bill, but each meal was billed at the legitimate discount rate. Two at full price. Three at 50%. He was a little disappointed ,but I am glad they are checking. I have read posts where it was said who ever pays the bill gets their discount on the whole tab. 

• Like 1

They used to extend the benefits if the 4/5* Mariner was paying/hosting the table but that doesn’t seem to be the case now on some ships (and probably will be fleetwide eventually).

The * perks are technically only for the Mariners that hold them (someone in the cabin with a higher star Mariner automatically has their level for perks)  and not meant to be shared although it has been allowed.

9 minutes ago, wesport said:

I bought dinner for six people last December at the Pinnacle on the Noordam. No questions asked. However this is the proper way to do it. 

I bought dinners for 4 in the Pinnacle last January at my 50% discount (on the Amsterdam).  No questions asked.

Caneletto used to be $10.  On the older ships there is zero ambiance and the service is lackluster.  Looks like the fee is now $20 pp which not worth it in my opinion.  We will not be going even with the Mariner discount.

On the Koningsdam earlier this month, we sailed with my DSIL & hubby, (3 stars) and my cousin and her husband (no stars!).  We treated in all the venues.  First night we went to Tamarind, the next morning, we were charged half price for all, but that was changed  a few days later to half price for us, full price for the others.  Second night was Canaletto.  We were charged our discounted price for the 2 of us and full price for the others.  When we asked about it we were told that the rule had been changed as of August.  However we were charged half price for all in Sel de Mer and the Pinnacle Grill.  Actually, when we first dined in the Pinnacle, they gave us our 4 (2 each) freebies and two half price dinners for the six, so I think it turned out to be $39 for all of us...

Of course we haven't seen the final charge to our credit card.  The on line account was very difficult to decipher at times, it seemed like the "Night Auditor" made changes whenever it suited him, so we had to go over the amounts over and over.

We had no problems sharing our (half-price) wine packages with the others.  

How does HAL know the loyalty status or lack thereof for those passengers I host?  I normally make the reservation prior to leaving home.  The only information they have is my status.  So, are they going around to the various tables and asking for each person's Mariner status?  

Normally, the only persons I pay for are those in my cabin, except for last April when I hosted a table for six at the PG on Oosterdam.  Thankfully, no one asked about anyone's status.  I always reserve and pay prior to leaving home.  The problem I've been having is that the ship charges me full price and then deducts the discount, leaving me with part of a bill I've already paid in full.  It's been a real hassle.  Ruth C suggested that I take the credit card bill and show that I've already paid once, full price, so all the ship's accounting department should do is deduct half the price.

We've had it happen both ways with pre-paid reservations. In the Eurodam Tamarind we got the "loyalty" credit on our statement for us and our 1* star guests while in the N.A. Tamarind they refused to apply the credit for our no-star guests.

I am the original poster, and my friend who treated us was the only one who got his discount. The remaining three were charged full price. I verified this last night.Even though I am five stars , he got charged full price for me. Glad I wasn’t paying.😀

We just got off NS a week ago.  We're 5 Stars and my Daughter who was travelling with us is 3 Stars.  We wanted to "treat" her to the Specialty Restaurants and was charged 50% for us and Full Price for my Daughter.  My Husband talked to Guest Services and was told because she was in a different Stateroom the System couldn't apply her 25%.  They ended up taking hers off our Bill and charged her Account less the 25% Discount.  Since we wanted to "treat" her we put cash on her Account.  

On the Eurodam, we pre-booked online a dinner for 4 in the PG and also in Tamarind.   We paid full price online for the dinners.   We are 4 star, and our friends are 2 star.   When we boarded on March 9, 2019, and logged into the Navigator, we saw the 50% credits on our cabin account  for all 4 of us, for both dinners.  It was called a "Loyalty Credit"Our friends were in a different cabin under a different booking number.   I guess, like many things HAL, what is posted as official policy from Seattle, varies widely on the different ships.

This was when PG was $35 and Tamarind was $25

Copied from our statement:

3/9/2019    Loyalty    ($17.50)
3/9/2019    Loyalty    ($12.50)