Taking Soft drinks and juice on board?

mojomax

I’ve read that you can’t take soft drinks or juice on board! I’m very disappointed as the last cruise we had on the POA the tomato juice was very salty, so at the first port I brought tomato juice on with me. Tomato juice is my choice drink over any other juice or soft drink so I don’t know what I’m going to do if NCL juice is salty! I mentioned how salty the tomato juice was to the bar tender and he said he would see to it that he got different juice that wasn’t so salty, but he didn’t. I’m going to be miserable if I can’t have my favourite drink on board for 2 weeks!

Another thing that Peas me off is the corkage they charge you for taking wine on board! What’s that all about! What do they charge that for. I’ve read it’s for opening the bottle in the restaurant, but what if it’s a screw top and not a cork? I can open a screw top myself! What if I don’t want to take the wine to the restaurants but take it to our cabin, how can they charge you a corkage fee when they won’t even see the bottle never mind take a screw top off! It’s ridiculous and extortionate.

l’m really not happy with them at the moment! Rant over!!

You can not bring any beverages onboard. (Even tomato juice). Sorry. 

And every bottle of wine you bring onboard is subject to the corkage fee of $15 for 750ml bottle. You are paying a fee because you are taking away business from the ship. Just like bringing your own food into a restaurant. 

NCL: Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call. This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages.

Edited by BirdTravels

The corkage fee, in NCLs usage of the term, allows NCL to recover some of the money they lose by you bringing wine onboard yourself instead of purchasing it from them.  They would much rather you purchase from them.  With NCL, the term has nothing to do with opening the bottle or the type of cap it has on it.  Once paid, you can open your bottle anywhere, anyway.  You can also drink it anywhere and anyway you wish without needing to pay any further charges.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

6 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I am not trying to be snarky.  If you would be miserable on the cruise with tomato juice that is too salty and you're not happy with the NCL corkage fee then cancel the cruise and book with a different line.  That is what I would do.

I can’t believe I read all that ....about Tomato juice..... nasty stuff. I would stay home if I was that upset over something so gross. 

• Like 6

LOL, Well, I knew all of that, I did read the T&C’s,!  I was just having a rant! Doesn’t everyone at some point? 
if NCL can allow you to bring on a btl of wine when you embark then why can’t they allow soft drinks? 

I still think 15% corkage fee is extortionate to say the least, no matter how they dress it up. I understand they don’t want people taking a crate load of wine on, I’m not suggesting that for one minute,  but to allow 1 bottle then charge for it, for what? But I won’t be taking any on board, and I won’t be adding water to the tomato juice thank you, I just won’t drink it! I won’t be miserable all trip, it was all written tongue in cheek, but there you go.

Have a good Day 😊

Have you tried the spicy tomato juice in your favorite drink? The bartender will do 50/50 for you if it is to spicy. They have used 50 salty tomato juice and 50 spicy and it is really good :). I find it salty as well though I like salty things.

For the wine I just don't lug any along on NCL (Princess is no charge) we get a bottle as platinum and I'm the only one who drinks it so it last most of the cruise.

Enjoy your vacation regardless, as ecell says try something new it could open up a whole other avenue for you to explore on vacation.

1 hour ago, mojomax said:

LOL, Well, I knew all of that, I did read the T&C’s,!  I was just having a rant! Doesn’t everyone at some point? 
if NCL can allow you to bring on a btl of wine when you embark then why can’t they allow soft drinks? 

I still think 15% corkage fee is extortionate to say the least, no matter how they dress it up. I understand they don’t want people taking a crate load of wine on, I’m not suggesting that for one minute,  but to allow 1 bottle then charge for it, for what? But I won’t be taking any on board, and I won’t be adding water to the tomato juice thank you, I just won’t drink it! I won’t be miserable all trip, it was all written tongue in cheek, but there you go.

Have a good Day 😊

I understand, I think we all rant about something at some point.  I guess since NCL offers the Free at Sea promotion they think no one needs to bring their own wine.  To be honest, I'm surprised other cruise lines do allow a bottle of wine to be brought onboard.  As to your rant about tomato juice, it's no different than all the rants about NCL not having Coca Cola.  BTW, I love salty tomato juice.

NCL no longer offers the cruise experience I want so after my cruise on the Epic in January I'll be done with NCL and will cruise with other lines.  I have already booked an Alaskan cruise for next year with Holland America and they allow a bottle of wine to be brought onboard.  I won't bother with bringing wine since Holland offers the signature beverage package free as their current promotion.  What I like about Holland's promotion is the gratuities are included with the drink package.  That is another thing CC members rant about on the NCL board, gratuities not included with the drink package.

I hope you have a great cruise with good tomato juice and great weather.

4 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I guess since NCL offers the Free at Sea promotion they think no one needs to bring their own wine.  To be honest, I'm surprised other cruise lines do allow a bottle of wine to be brought onboard. 

The corkage fee for bringing your own wine aboard has been there for decades prior to any Free At Sea promotions.  It has nothing to do with beverage packages or actually opening a bottle, it is purely a fee to garner the profit they WOULD have had if you bought a bottle of wine from the cruiseline.  It actually still comes out cheaper than the list prices per bottle paying the fee when you bring your own aboard.  It works for my wife because she only favors one special sort of wine that is not available on the ship.

11 hours ago, mojomax said:

I’ve read that you can’t take soft drinks or juice on board! I’m very disappointed as the last cruise we had on the POA the tomato juice was very salty, so at the first port I brought tomato juice on with me. Tomato juice is my choice drink over any other juice or soft drink so I don’t know what I’m going to do if NCL juice is salty! I mentioned how salty the tomato juice was to the bar tender and he said he would see to it that he got different juice that wasn’t so salty, but he didn’t. I’m going to be miserable if I can’t have my favourite drink on board for 2 weeks!

Another thing that Peas me off is the corkage they charge you for taking wine on board! What’s that all about! What do they charge that for. I’ve read it’s for opening the bottle in the restaurant, but what if it’s a screw top and not a cork? I can open a screw top myself! What if I don’t want to take the wine to the restaurants but take it to our cabin, how can they charge you a corkage fee when they won’t even see the bottle never mind take a screw top off! It’s ridiculous and extortionate.

l’m really not happy with them at the moment! Rant over!!

Well certainly glad you are over that rant!! The corkage fee has always been called just that regardless of whether it is a screw top or a true old fashion cork and I am sure, down deep you know this. As for the juice, do you really think the cruise line should make a special exception for you cause you do not care for their tomato juice. I sure hope you don't continue your rant when you get on the ship. 

Have a good Day 😊

BTW it is not 15% it is $15!!!! And yes, we all have rants from time to time, but some are sillier than others!!! 

Have a good Day 😊

We don't like the beverage packages and never take them.   We bring our own wine, pay the 15 bucks for corkage and still pay LESS for alcohol than JUST the ridiculous 20% gratuity NCL charges for the beverage packages.

Thank you all for your responses, it’s always helpful to get mixed reviews no matter what our preferences are.

Yes Nita, my rant is well and truly over no matter how silly it sounds. I know there have been sillier rants, but never mind.
I have to watch my salt intake so it’s something I have to be very aware of, so I guess I am special 😉 🍷cheers 😊

13 minutes ago, mojomax said:

Thank you all for your responses, it’s always helpful to get mixed reviews no matter what our preferences are.

Yes Nita, my rant is well and truly over no matter how silly it sounds. I know there have been sillier rants, but never mind.
I have to watch my salt intake so it’s something I have to be very aware of, so I guess I am special 😉 🍷cheers 😊

You can always try writing to accessdesk@ncl.com and request permission to bring low sodium TJ if it is a medical necessity 

14 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

The corkage fee, in NCLs usage of the term, allows NCL to recover some of the money they lose by you bringing wine onboard yourself instead of purchasing it from them.  They would much rather you purchase from them.  With NCL, the term has nothing to do with opening the bottle or the type of cap it has on it. 

This isn't just NCL's use of the term, it is very common.

I have eaten in restaurants which don't have alcohol licence, so you take your own along, and paid "corkage" for opening cans of beer.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

I looked at beverage policies a year or two ago, and I recall a few lines don't charge a corkage fee for wine you bring on board as long as you consume it in your cabin. But, you were limited to 2 bottles per cabin at embarkation. RCL and Carnival were in this category. Princess and NCL allow more than two bottles of wine to be brought on board. I believe Princess didn't charge anything for the first bottle per PERSON (so two bottles if you are traveling double occupancy), but did for subsequent bottles at $15 per. Like the others, Princess does charge you if you drink it in any public area. NCL also allows you bring on any quantity but charges the $15 corkage per bottle. Disney allows you two bottles of wine or 6 cans of beer at embarkation, and another two bottles or 6 cans at each port (the only line I found that does this), but charges $25 per bottle corkage if you want to have the wine with dinner (the beer cannot be consumed anywhere but your cabin).

So, wine drinkers pick your poison. If you like to bring more than 2 bottles of wine then Princess saves you $30 by allowing the first two without corkage as long as you consume in your cabin. NCL is next with unlimited bottles at embarkation, albeit with a $15 charge per bottle. Or, go with Disney and start with two bottles and discover local beer or wine at each port. If you drink in your cabin, there's no extra charge with Disney, but to drink in a public place you pay more - $25 per bottle.

Being an "on land" hospitality operator that does events weekly, some of which "simply insist" providing their own wine, I can tell you $15 is cheap for a cork fee, I won't let it on property for less then $25 per bottle.  My license, my risk, my sales, my rules.  Can't say for sure how NCL handles liquor licensing, or risk assessment but I sure look at it and I am not going to let a bottle come through the door that I get zero revenue off and still need to pay the overhead on...and not know exactly how much is being consumed and leave my staff to figure it out in a sue happy society.  Point is, there is more to it than simply sales of a bottle of wine

• Like 3