Library books

Mslmesq

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have never seen children's books in the ship's library. You will have to bring your own.

Agree.

Take a favourite to take home and buy some  in a charity shop which you can leave on board to save luggage weight on return journey.

There may have been some books in the Children's Club, but not sure.

1 hour ago, Reader0108598 said:

I love my IPad as I am an avid Reader..lol! For a child that age you probably want to share pictures with the story so I would pick up a few books. Try a second hand book store! 🙂 Keep reading ! 

@MslmesqLots of kids books with pictures & apps available. Check out Amazon.

I have never looked in the kiddie areas, but the Libraries on ship are pathetic.  I browsed the very limited shelves in the Library and saw no children's books, no Pattersons, no Lee Childs, no Clancys, …  My Kindle had a huge selection of novels compared to the ship's Library -- except for romances (of which I have none)!

I have seen children's books before, but there is no guarantee, especially for a certain age.  The number of children's books, if any, is limited.  I have also been on ships that had no children's books, or else they were all checked out.  So either bring a few favorites or use an e-reader.

Ship libraries have gotten worse and worse through the years and are now almost useless, probably due to general cutbacks and much more use of electronic readers.  A library doesn't generate income!  I still visit and might find a book or two, but usually not much.

• Like 1

To the OP, I recommend that you bring your own children’s books. 

For everyone else, I want to share my recent experience. I was recently on the Regal and they had many new books. By many I mean that most of the cabinets had books on all the shelves. The new books were mostly all softcover and current popular writers. Usually it’s difficult to find something. This time it was difficult to choose because there were a lot of choices. This and new beds were very pleasant surprises. Princess listened. 

I always bring a couple copies of my first novel and donate them to the library and have never seen one of them on shelves again after the first day. I know they’re out there somewhere. Lol. 
While everyone doesn’t do it, many take books home with them at the end of the cruise rather than return them. The staff on some ships have told me it’s impossible to provide a continuous supply of current material for passengers to enjoy as they disappear so quickly. Some do bring along ones they’ve read and leave them but it appears that number is must be far less than the count of those leaving the ship each week.  

Chris

2 hours ago, gottagocit said:

I always bring a couple copies of my first novel and donate them to the library and have never seen one of them on shelves again after the first day. I know they’re out there somewhere. Lol. 
While everyone doesn’t do it, many take books home with them at the end of the cruise rather than return them. The staff on some ships have told me it’s impossible to provide a continuous supply of current material for passengers to enjoy as they disappear so quickly. Some do bring along ones they’ve read and leave them but it appears that number is must be far less than the count of those leaving the ship each week.  

Chris

I have left books. It is one less thing to pack on the way home.

If I leave one or more, I might take one from the donated book section to read on the airplane on the way home.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them remove the libraries some day in the future. Almost everyone seems to be using tablets & readers lately the libraries have shrunk to storage room for puzzles, cards & board games on all the newer class ships with very few chairs to even read.