Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
dcsam

Nice jeans in terrace acceptable for dinner? Yes or no?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, clo said:

Was that over about 50 years?!?

Hi Cath!!!

Just saw a post from you wanting to know how trip is going!!! Lots of good food😉

Denise😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Hi Cath!!!

Just saw a post from you wanting to know how trip is going!!! Lots of good food😉

Denise😊

Today was Punta del Este, Uruguay. Evidently a popular spot for the jetsetters of S. America. Plenty of good-size yachts 🙂

View from our veranda:

IMG_7117.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, clo said:

Today was Punta del Este, Uruguay. Evidently a popular spot for the jetsetters of S. America. Plenty of good-size yachts 🙂

View from our veranda:

IMG_7117.JPG

So glad your having a good time!!

Miss you here!  Been enjoying your writings. Doing our countdown! Send more pics in the future if the food porn!

Relax on that veranda!

Take care Cath!

Denise😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, clo said:

Was that over about 50 years?!?


No, we travel over 250 days a year since we retired in 2016 so it can add up quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Denise

And looking forward to your words and pix. Off to Jacques 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KirkNC said:


No, we travel over 250 days a year since we retired in 2016 so it can add up quick.

Which is a subject for another day 🙂 We're ten days into our 12 days and I'm read to GET OFF!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 5:10 PM, 1985rz1 said:

 

 

 

Interesting.  Here's a photo of the Oceania's Dress Code on page 4 of the Currents from day 1(December 7, 2019) of the California Coastal Cruise on the Sirena we  returned from.  Sounds like left and right hands have a communications problem.

 

1386956563_OceaniaDressCode.thumb.jpg.a65ba388ef95ed1861aa87036ccf4d26.jpg

 

Are sandals really not permitted in the Dining rooms? We are taking our first Oceania cruise in July and I was planning on wearing nice sandals to dinner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, schmerl said:

 

Are sandals really not permitted in the Dining rooms? We are taking our first Oceania cruise in July and I was planning on wearing nice sandals to dinner. 

Well, that's a good question that's been debated ad nauseam. It depends on the interpretation. 

 

I would think that dress sandals would be OK. But flip flops and beach sandals would not be. But that's just my opinion.

Edited by 1985rz1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, schmerl said:

 

Are sandals really not permitted in the Dining rooms? We are taking our first Oceania cruise in July and I was planning on wearing nice sandals to dinner. 

ladies  can wear dress sandals  to the dining venues

Flip flops & rubber beach shoes are another matter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LHT28 said:

ladies  can wear dress sandals  to the dining venues

Flip flops & rubber beach shoes are another matter

 

Thank you both so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem with dress sandals. I just returned from an Oceania Sirena cruise a few days ago. I even saw a handful of men with running shoes in MDR, so you will not have a problem with the sandals. There were also a few guys wearing dress jeans in MDR but most people were smart casual from what I could see. Most women in pants and a top (blouse or sweater) and most men also in pants and shirts or golf shirts. About 10% of passengers in main dining room go more dressy, ie women in fancy tops or party dresses, guys with jackets, but I would say the majority of people are fairly dressed down. I hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some jeans (particularly my black jeans) I would consider "dress" jeans (I would not term them "casual" jeans)  and they look much nicer than my slacks. I had no issues wearing them in the Terrace when worn with a nice blouse. Also, SIL often wore very fancy heeled sandals and she experienced no issues with admittance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Some jeans (particularly my black jeans) I would consider "dress" jeans (I would not term them "casual" jeans)  and they look much nicer than my slacks. I had no issues wearing them in the Terrace when worn with a nice blouse. Also, SIL often wore very fancy heeled sandals and she experienced no issues with admittance. 

There's no issue wearing any type of jeans in the Terrace. You can even wear shorts in the Terrace at dinner. It's the GDR and specialty restaurants that have the dress code you're talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

There's no issue wearing any type of jeans in the Terrace. You can even wear shorts in the Terrace at dinner. It's the GDR and specialty restaurants that have the dress code you're talking about.

Yes, of course you are correct. The Terrace is the buffet (we had lunch here) but we had no issues wearing the same attire as previously described in the Grand or Toscana.

Edited by dogs4fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2019 at 8:03 PM, RJB said:

WE go on a cruise to have a good time, not spend the whole time being the dress police.

I was hesitant to post a note but I just don't get it either,  different styles is just normal across different generations and nationalities.

 

Fashion changes. What used to be dressy 50 years ago is no longer dressy now.. 'Country Club Style' changes as generations change.. Ever went to an office lately? Most men don't wear suits anymore or they wear them with sneakers.. and that's nice!

It's not because someone is wearing a nice jeans (that probably costs way more than that 20 year old "dressy" bermuda) that they should not be in the restaurant or means that they have no manners. Classy is classy, whether it's jeans or not..

 

This conversation sounds a lot like: the youth of today.... Pretty sure that the grandparents of these "complainers/reporters" didn't like their style either.

 

And maybe they don't enforce the dresscode anymore  because they want a sustainable business..

 

As long as someone has cloths on, is not provocative and most of all: is hygienic, doesn't stink and has proper table manners - why would you let this bother you or even worse, report people over this?

 

Live and let live.. and yes, I will be wearing my nice black skinny jeans in the specialty restaurants and if someone gives me the 'stink-eye', I'll smile and wave at you..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, amitje said:

I was hesitant to post a note but I just don't get it either,  different styles is just normal across different generations and nationalities.

 

Fashion changes. What used to be dressy 50 years ago is no longer dressy now.. 'Country Club Style' changes as generations change.. Ever went to an office lately? Most men don't wear suits anymore or they wear them with sneakers.. and that's nice!

It's not because someone is wearing a nice jeans (that probably costs way more than that 20 year old "dressy" bermuda) that they should not be in the restaurant or means that they have no manners. Classy is classy, whether it's jeans or not..

 

This conversation sounds a lot like: the youth of today.... Pretty sure that the grandparents of these "complainers/reporters" didn't like their style either.

 

And maybe they don't enforce the dresscode anymore  because they want a sustainable business..

 

As long as someone has cloths on, is not provocative and most of all: is hygienic, doesn't stink and has proper table manners - why would you let this bother you or even worse, report people over this?

 

Live and let live.. and yes, I will be wearing my nice black skinny jeans in the specialty restaurants and if someone gives me the 'stink-eye', I'll smile and wave at you..

You bring up an interesting point RE hygiene and smell. On our recent Riviera cruise someone sat in the near vicinity of us in the Terrace and the odor was so bad we had to move to another table a distance away. Not cologne but just stink.

 

On your last point, as a good friend of ours says, some people just need to get over themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, amitje said:

Live and let live.. and yes, I will be wearing my nice black skinny jeans in the specialty restaurants and if someone gives me the 'stink-eye', I'll smile and wave at you..

Couldn't agree more & I'll wager you look just great in your jeans! 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iieeeuuwww.. but that’s ok, as long as he was not wearing jeans.. 🤣

Edited by amitje

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ORV said:
25 minutes ago, amitje said:

 

You bring up an interesting point RE hygiene and smell. On our recent Riviera cruise someone sat in the near vicinity of us in the Terrace and the odor was so bad we had to move to another table a distance away.

Iiiieeeeewww.. but I guess that’s ok, as long as he was not wearing jeans 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Couldn't agree more & I'll wager you look just great in your jeans! 😎

I also have to agree!!

Denise😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder which other codes or regulations amijte thinks are fine to ignore? Those safety codes? Naw, they don’t apply to me! Certainly I don’t have to use hand sanitizer, I’m above that! I’ll just pick and choose what I want to adhere to! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...