Wine suggestions please

Scfilla

I’m a rum & coke drinker, wife drinks beer unless we’re at an AI or doing the Cheers package.

We’re going on 5 day cruise and plan to leave the ship for the 2 shore days so the Cheers doesn’t make $en$e this trip.

On our next cruise (3rd) she’ll be doing ala cart and I’m buying the over priced Bacardi and bringing 2 12 packs of Coke Zero.

I’m not a wine person but wouldn’t mind taking advantage of the two 750ml per cabin limit if I found something worth drinking.

The wine selections are overwhelming and I have no clue what to consider. Sure, I’ve had a few drinks, bottles and hangovers in my younger days but I don’t have experience to know what to buy. 
She’ll get what she wants and I’m fine with that, I just looking for something to keep my cost down. 
Thanks for any and all suggestions. 

Steve

Steve, welcome! That's a pretty open ended question you asked. Be prepared to get MANY varied opinions, some of which may be strongly held by some members. So be prepared for a heated debate to ensue. Let's try to narrow down your preferences. I agree totally with you....the selection is overwhelming. Do you like, bitter, sweet, dry, fruity, nutty, mild, strong, etc, etc, etc. ? I only ask this because I, like you, am not an educated wine drinker. I know what I like but it's not sophisticated in any sense of the word. My favored wine is cream sherry. (no laughing please, it's just what I like). But that's an after dinner wine....I think. I'm comfortable with Boone's Farm Apple wine,  or a Sutter's Farm White Zinfandel. Not saying much is it? 

I'm quite confident that sophisticated wine drinkers will chime in shortly, and provide you with good guidance.

• Like 1

Joe, thanks for the first reply. Yes, I have my flame suit on. Boone’s Farm, MD 20/20 and a number of the other embalming fluid varieties have crossed my pallet decades ago. lol.

I’ve had a several bottles of Herman, MO (White Lady from Hermannhof was really good) and Augusta, MO wines during winery bus trips in the past but I was just looking for something to pick up at the local Friar Tucks, Schnucks, Dierbergs, etc... 

Should be an interesting topic. 🤗

I live in CA and can offer some input if you’d like. From value price to luxury, I’d be glad to offer some insight without breaking your budget. 

Feel free to share dislikes and likes in wine taste profiles and I’ll offer up some suggestions. 

And if you’re bringing your own on board, buy some Wine Wings on Amazon. They’re perfect for checked airplane luggage. And you’ll want to have a decent wine opener to keep in your travel collection too. This way you’ll always be prepared and can save on corkage fees. 

42 minutes ago, christyran1228 said:

I'm not a big fan of wine in general, but I do love Moscato...it's fruity and sweet.  Anything Stella Rosa is great.  

Thanks, I’ve had some Moscato before and that sounds like kind of wine I’d like to drink vs. a dry type wine.

12 minutes ago, Scfilla said:

I'm thinking $20 to $30ish . Again, I'm-just a simply Rum  & Coke drinker and easily amused.

The 2 bottle per cabin is what you can bring aboard with no charge.  I usually bring my own wine opener, but when I ask the cabin steward for wine glasses they always seem to find an opener for me also.  If you are flying in you can pick up the bottles on the way from the airport or at the airport. 

If you want to wait until you are on the ship the Carnival wine packages are a great deal.  I think for the 5 night you can get a 3 bottle package for a great price- don't need the premium from what I am hearing, and the server will give you good suggestions.  Sometimes if they can find an open bottle they will pour you a sample before you buy a bottle.  You can buy the package before by calling the fun shops (not available on-line), but it is the same price as on-board.  Used to be able to buy before boarding and save the 18% by pouring it in your cabin, but no more.  You can have with meals, save for other meals, or bring back to your cabin.  

On the basic package- your can get a sparkling wine, then order an orange juice for your own mimosas, the pinot grigio is super light, the riesling is semi-sweet, your white zin will also be sweet.  Haven't tried the rose, but they have been good lately.  

On our 7 day cruise coming up the 5 bottle package is $134 including the gratuity, or $22.80 +18%=$26.90 for a served bottle!  not a bad deal!  At 4-6oz glasses that is under $5.70 per glass + tip!.

The premium package is $33 .60 per bottle+18%, still a good price for a larger selection.  There are some bottles of wine on this package that are over $20 at package stores, and served bottles are usually 2-5x mark-up, but most are in the same price range as the basic package. So this package just gives more selection.  

Thanks everyone! We’re driving to the port so bringing something will be easy. I’ll try some Moscato over the holidays and some of the other Stella offerings too.

This will be just to break up the Rum & Coke routine. 😁

• Like 1

Look for a crisp but lighter white for Portugal. Vinho Verde (a good wine store may even carry a red). Inexpensive.Good cold and refreshing in the sun or on your balcony.  Goes with just about anything.    But no "sin" in bringing your Missouri wines along for a ride.

For my uncivilized palette, I don't care as much about the brand as I do what kind. I love a good sweet/mellow red.

The best thing you can do, in my opinion, is try new wines. Maybe start with cheaper and/or smaller ones and at least get a taste for what type you prefer. Then from there, you can try other brands.

As expected, there’s a lot of good suggestions coming out. I might as well drop by a couple local wineries and do some sampling’s. 
This question is kinda like asking what vehicle I should buy. 🥴

Test drives at the winery should be fun. 😎

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Scfilla said:

As expected, there’s a lot of good suggestions coming out. I might as well drop by a couple local wineries and do some sampling’s. 

When you do the test drive at the winery, make sure you have a designated driver with you. To many test drives and you could wind up in South America. :classic_laugh:

33 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

When you do the test drive at the winery, make sure you have a designated driver with you. To many test drives and you could wind up in South America. :classic_laugh:

👍👍 see, more good advice. 😁

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 12:09 PM, Scfilla said:

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Look for a local wine tasting from some place that specializes in wine. They will let you sample many types and different flavors, both red and white. Tell them your price range, they usually are a great resource.  

Doing tastings is my recommendation as well - especially if you have local wineries (we have a bunch in PA, didn't know about MO).  There might be a small tasting fee, but still a value to sample a variety.  I second the vote for a designated driver too - some places are generous with pours 😉 

While many people prefer dry wines, sweet do seem to be gaining in popularity and availability.  Happy hunting 🙂 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, let's go cruising said:

DH brings our 2 bottles of wine with a twist off cap.  The steward will bring you a cork screw, but it is really nice to be able to just screw the lid BACK ON and it is safely closed.  Lots of good wines have screw tops nowadays.

Renee

Yes, this is such good advice.

If you have a local beverage shop many of them have wine tasting areas which is great.  I am a "middle of the road" gal myself.  I generally go for a house chardonnay myself (not too sweet or dry) but just a good amount of alcohol.  I drink bottles that cost anywhere from $8 to $15.    If you want something sparkling then grab a bottle of champagne or proseco.  Those will be the 2 types we pack. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 6:25 PM, amyotravel said:

Yes, this is such good advice.

More wines (not just bottom shelf) are using the screwcap option now. Cupcake wines have changed from cork to screwcap recently. They are good wines for the average wine  consumer. They sell for @ $10 per bottle, but can usually be found on sale for @$8. Another good choice is prosecco - Lamarka is delicious but can be pricey ($13 -16 A bottle) ; Costco makes it's own Kirkland brand that is very good for $7 a bottle. These are opened like traditional champagne - no corkscrew needed. You can mix with orange juice from breakfast and have delicious mimosas. You can buy a gadget to reseal sparkling wines so you can keep them more than one day and not lose the bubbles.

https://www.winedevices.com/products/champagne-re-sealer-abs-plastic-body?msclkid=ec9a8b1c1c031dad5e9ad51be0d743f6

Edited by simplelife
add information