Princess Grill Perks

Neuhoftraveler

We've sailed QG in QM2, but never PG, and are uncertain as to what perks filter down to PG.  Specifically, is the PG cabin fridge stocked with "free" red and white wine as in QG?   (Yes, I know, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.")  How about the two bottles of spirits?  If either, what about a bottle of decent sherry instead?

10 hours ago, exlondoner said:

No free booze, only free soft drinks.

free soft drinks??? When did that happen? Ive never had the free soft drinks but it would be nice as

it would save me buying the soda for my nightly whiskey

Some California sparkling wines are quite good, especially Domaine Chandon and Mum Napa Valley. Thats what I usually order on cruises although French Champagne would be my first choice. My wifes favorite is Tattinger oe Roederer. 

i am surprised Princess Grill has no upgrade from the regular rooms. Hoping for an upgrade to Queens Grill. 

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, ClipperinSFO said:

On embarkation day, is lunch served in the Princes Grill, or do PG passengers have to eat in the Kings Court or Golden Lion?  

Embarkation day lunch for PG is in the PG restaurant.  It is a good way to find where your table number is located, and request any adjustments that you might like.  Although of course, that is the way it used to be.  Upon restart, who knows?

The difference between QG and PG prices seems to be very variable.  

PG benefits from all the important grills benefits, PG restaurant with own table  , grills deck (especially on QV QE) and grills lounge. 

We decided quite late to come back from Capetown to UK  in 22 , no mid ships QG we're left, and we need midships on that journey.  The aft QG suites which we didn't want  were over £2500 pp more than PG. As we wanted midships went PG. But as midships suites QG on QV use that space very badly  would go PG anyway for any journey where we may get large swell on QV or QE. QG benefits  (apart from space) become irrelevant just buy whatever champagne , soft drinks etc. you like every day.

For 2023 Capetown to UK,  the price difference is much much smaller and QM midships suites apart from lack of separate shower are much better designed than QV midships so  will go QG. QG benefits over PG are then a bonus.

Benefit of QG over PG must be primarily space, and that depends on ship and which cabin. 

We've done both the QG and the PG on the QM2. As you mentioned, Q'sG cabins are definitely larger, huge in fact! But aside from space, the dining in Q'sG is REALLY over the top with a huge menu and you are free to order just about anything you might want with a day's notice. We personally, have found the PG excellent. The cabins, lovely with plenty of space for two people. Although the menu in PG is not as elaborate as Q'sG, we were totally happy. Although I have no idea if upgrades will even be an option in the near future, we have always ticked the box for a complementary upgrade. We've gotten it once!

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Benefit of QG over PG must be primarily space, and that depends on ship and which cabin. 

Many people enjoy the Queen’s Grill restaurant which offers more elaborate meals because of the ability to order off-menu. We have been in QG twice and I admit we didn’t take advantage of this. Between the daily menu and the à la carte menu – which is more elaborate than in PG - there was everything we could have wanted.  In order not to disappoint the staff who encouraged us to order something, once we requested jacket potatoes and another time we had a bowl of mushrooms. People who are more adventurous than we are appreciate this perk.

The QG suites have the services of a butler. We didn’t call on his services often, but on both crossings we had a pre-dinner soirée with our tablemates. We asked the butler if we could have extra ice and a plate of cheese and fruit. Both butlers wanted to provide much more than we needed and seemed disappointed they couldn’t do more. The butlers also bring a small plate of hors d’oeuvres every evening but we didn’t need this. If in Princess Grill the same hors d’oeuvres are available in the concierge lounge (on QM2) so this wasn’t important to us. I can’t remember if PG can get hors d’oeuvres on the QE as we didn’t need more food.

Although we enjoyed every amenity that comes with QG, we are very happy with PG.  
  • Like 2

Can anyone please confirm if in PG is there the ability order anything you want off menu (other then what you can in Britannia ie chicken/steak etc) or is that restricted to QG?

i dined with two lots of separate people who have done PG and one said they ordered lobster/flambé deserts every night as “you can order anything within reason” BUT the other couple when discussing these things  said no in PG all you can order is a la cart/main menu or the standard Britannia off menu anything else ie lobster is met with a polite “sorry no” response.

2 hours ago, Craigrlewis said:

Can anyone please confirm if in PG is there the ability order anything you want off menu (other then what you can in Britannia ie chicken/steak etc) or is that restricted to QG?

i dined with two lots of separate people who have done PG and one said they ordered lobster/flambé deserts every night as “you can order anything within reason” BUT the other couple when discussing these things  said no in PG all you can order is a la cart/main menu or the standard Britannia off menu anything else ie lobster is met with a polite “sorry no” response.

The slightly annoying answer to your question is ‘it varies’. Technically off-menu ordering is only for QG, but our first time in the PG we were really looked after well, with flambé desserts most nights and A La Carte options from the QG menu on request. Talking to others, I think we got lucky on that particular trip through. 

QG is also set up so that you can request off-menu items for breakfast or lunch. We wouldn’t request this in PG though. 

My suggestion, for what it’s worth, would be to expect off-menu ordering to be restricted in PG but you may get a nice surprise! 

As I said earlier I don't make any special requests, other than vegetables, in either QG or PG. But the last time we were in PG I inadvertently requested a special dinner. At lunch I quietly mentioned to our table-mates that an item normally on the à la carte menu, Dover Sole, was missing this trip. One of our waiters apparently heard me.

During tea in the lounge the maitre d' from PG  came over to us and said: "I understand you miss the Dover Sole which we used to have on the à la carte menu. We will have it for you tonight if you wish." So that was the only time in several Grills trips we had a special main course without actually requesting it.

I find even in PG there are several main courses and desserts that are flambéed tableside.

A traditional Caesar salad is not available in PG. I heard more than one person ask about this, so I didn't need to. The reply was: "Sorry, only in Queens Grill." Even in Queen's Grill we had to specify that we would like it made in the traditional manner. Otherwise a request for Caesar salad meant it came from the galley just like in other restaurants.

We have crossed a couple of times in QG, but cabin aside (which was wonderfully large and comfortable -- especially the closet!) we weren't all that impressed with the food nor needed the services of butler. Like @Windsurfboy, we also quickly got over the whole order-off-the-menu thing.  The tableside Caesar was quite good, but the theatrics weren't needed.  So for our upcoming December 2021 crossing, we opted for PG (also QG was sold out).   

The one thing we did like at the end of every meal was the cheese cart with the big wheel of Stilton.  Does PG have a cheese cart?  

All said above, we are very eager to be back onboard in any sized cabin and eating in any restaurant.  QM2 on the North Atlantic is just magical.

In defence of special ordering, it's  never become a novelty of which I tire of.  I usually order off QG menu at least once a day, even if it's just a collection of salad ingredients for lunch. No tableside theatrics involved, just a personalised salad meal pre prepared in the galley.

Each to their own but I will never tire of, and will always appreciate the off menu ordering facility.

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

In defence of special ordering, it's  never become a novelty of which I tire of.  I usually order off QG menu at least once a day, even if it's just a collection of salad ingredients for lunch. No tableside theatrics involved, just a personalised salad meal pre prepared in the galley.

Each to their own but I will never tire of, and will always appreciate the off menu ordering facility.

Completely the same for us - it is the main reason we book QG. The larger cabin and other perks are nice-to-haves, but it is the food and off-menu ordering in particular which are the main reason we pay the premium.