Home security camera using VOOM?

rob6465

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

I often look at my Arlo cameras while on a ship.  I also watch my dog on the streaming cameras at the boarding facility.  

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

I often look at my Arlo cameras while on a ship.  I also watch my dog on the streaming cameras at the boarding facility.   Thank you. I have 5 dogs to check on...lol

• Clarea changed the title to Home security camera using VOOM?

I tried to watch my Ring doorbell while on the Adventure...fires in my area...I had purchased Voom/Surf Stream and also the cruise package with AT&T (most data plan offered) and went over my data and was charged.

I saw several people checking their home cameras multiple times and multiple cameras and seemed to have no concerns about usage...what (plan carrier) could they have had that I should consider changing to ?

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

I tried to watch my Ring doorbell while on the Adventure...fires in my area...I had purchased Voom/Surf Stream and also the cruise package with AT&T (most data plan offered) and went over my data and was charged.

I saw several people checking their home cameras multiple times and multiple cameras and seemed to have no concerns about usage...what (plan carrier) could they have had that I should consider changing to ?

I know of no cell carrier that gives you inexpensive data at sea using the ship's cell service.

4 minutes ago, Knighton said:

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason to be concerned that you are doing this over an unsecured network?

Very likely that the app has end to end encryption.

However, the people that provide the app have full access to the video stream.

7 hours ago, Knighton said:

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason to be concerned that you are doing this over an unsecured network?

No not at all. If anyone was interested to see my driveway (facing towards the street) during the recent fires we had here in SoCal I could have cared less.

• 2 years later...

Ours is through alarm.com (who our security co uses) and I was able to pull ours up most of the time.  Sometimes there wasn't enough bandwidth, but I get email alerts so I could at least look at screenshots of anything they picked up.  They are motion activated but I can watch live also.  We just got off Jewel last Saturday and we were in FL for 5 days prior to our b2b so I was glad I was able to see it most of the time on surf only (D+ free days).

Edited by BND

On 12/5/2019 at 5:01 PM, Ashland said:

For future reference, you don't need the AT&T package if you have Voom.  If you went over your data, you were not using the ship's WiFi.

Cellphone in Airplane Mode and WiFi calling.

On 11/25/2022 at 8:21 AM, ARandomTraveler said:

I started reading this and saw Bob (Clarea) was posting and was like "No way, Bob's back!"...whomp whomp 

I had the same reaction in the first second and in the next second thought “no way” and checked the date. I think these thread should expire after six months or a year. 😳

10 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

I think these thread should expire after six months or a year.

Those over 7 years old used to be read only, but that restriction may have been lifted.

Biker, who puts in the resurrection meme in every year+ old thread seen to try to make it more obvious.

Edited by Biker19