items no longer given/offered

Knickearth

39 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I always read about how bad it is to fill a personal water bottle directly with the spigot and one should  use a clean glass to fill it. How are those mounted sugar dispensers any different. I have seen them in hospital cafe’s and convenient stores. There is always sugar spread all over the counter.

Maybe that's why they only changed the real sugar dispensers so far & realized it was a mistake? Why didn't they change all of them at one time?

Somehow I can see them having a centrally located sweetener center in the buffet where everyone has to go & get their choice & mix it there. 

What would they do in the dining room? 

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

That wasn't the point. 

It just that some people like to empty the jar in their hand & select the nuts they like & pour the rest back in the jar. I've seen it many times and I seriously doubt they throw out the unused continents each day. 

Nasty.

I thought you were talking about peanuts in the shell.  If you meant shelled, mixed nuts, you're absolutely correct and I seriously agree with you. It is analogous to those who handle food in the buffet line and the put it back (without the benefit of utensils).

On 12/30/2019 at 5:24 PM, MissP22 said:

What you said was absolutely correct but do you actually eat those peanuts at the bar after people dump a handful in their hand, pick thought what they want & put the rest back? 🤮 

They would be better off handing put individual bags of nuts. 

We are going on the Crown end of January and wondering if I read correctly there are no more cocktail napkins anywhere to be had?  They usually leave a stack in the room for us too.  Do I need to add this to my packing list to bring??

52 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

I read correctly there are no more cocktail napkins anywhere to be had?  They usually leave a stack in the room for us too.  Do I need to add this to my packing list to bring??

There will be a few in your cabin with the drink glasses and ice tongs.  You can always get paper napkins by slice and the salty dog. 

13 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

There will be a few in your cabin with the drink glasses and ice tongs.  You can always get paper napkins by slice and the salty dog. 

Usually we ask our room steward for some and to keep them replenished.  Is that still an option then?  It's just one more thing to have to pack.

8 hours ago, mellon1 said:

We are going on the Crown end of January and wondering if I read correctly there are no more cocktail napkins anywhere to be had?  They usually leave a stack in the room for us too.  Do I need to add this to my packing list to bring??

I usually find a stack on the ship & help myself to a healthy supply to keep in our room for the entire cruise. 

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I usually find a stack on the ship & help myself to a healthy supply to keep in our room for the entire cruise. 

OK...so they do have them.  I really didn't want to have to pack those.  May I ask where you got them, just in case our room steward does not have them on his cart.  Thanks so much for your help.

33 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

OK...so they do have them.  I really didn't want to have to pack those.  May I ask where you got them, just in case our room steward does not have them on his cart.  Thanks so much for your help.

I really don't recall where I found them. Possibly at the hot dog/hamburger bar by the pool ? I know it wasn't at the IC since they've changed to cloth napkins. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I really don't recall where I found them. Possibly at the hot dog/hamburger bar by the pool ? I know it wasn't at the IC since they've changed to cloth napkins. 

Great tip.  I will check that out.  That napkin size will be great to have in the room when DH has fruit from the basket which is in the room.   I may pack a few cocktail napkin packs for the room just in case.  Like my husband said, I pack everything else!   Thank you.

1 hour ago, mellon1 said:

Your room steward can provide more if you need them, but you can find paper napkins at the pizza/salty dog area.

3 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Your room steward can provide more if you need them, but you can find paper napkins at the pizza/salty dog area.

Thank you.  Really appreciate it.  I guess I thought they were eliminating all paper napkins and going to cloth throughout.  

I miss the seafood brunch they used to offer at Sabatini's. It was a tasty display of various chilled seafood plus you could order eggs and other breakfast main courses and it came with mimosas. We had it on the Star Princess in 2003. I'm not sure what they were doing for suite passengers back then.

Edited by geoherb

12 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I miss the seafood brunch they used to offer at Sabatini's. It was a tasty display of various chilled seafood plus you could order eggs and other breakfast main courses and it came with mimosas. We had it on the Star Princess in 2003. I'm not sure what they were doing for suite passengers back then.

There was no special breakfasts for Suites back in 2003.

21 hours ago, mellon1 said:

Great tip.  I will check that out.  That napkin size will be great to have in the room when DH has fruit from the basket which is in the room.   I may pack a few cocktail napkin packs for the room just in case.  Like my husband said, I pack everything else!   Thank you.

Princess is turning into a camping trip. Straws, napkins, sugar packets, It's no wonder why people don't have room to pack formalwear .  Can someone explain to me how constantly washing cloth napkins is better for the environment and the bottom line?  Maybe we should be stockpiling cloth napkins in the room.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Princess is turning into a camping trip. Straws, napkins, sugar packets, It's no wonder why people don't have room to pack formalwear .  Can someone explain to me how constantly washing cloth napkins is better for the environment and the bottom line?  Maybe we should be stockpiling cloth napkins in the room.

We are going for 30 days...so we do have a lot to pack.  I hate to pack things like cocktail napkins which I shouldn't have to do, but it keeps your glass on the table when the seas get rough.  We have had the condensation and our glass has slid right off the table.  I have some rubber coasters.  I may bring those instead.  I guess it is different for everyone based on their own needs.  Some are happy to use the shower gel and shampoo and we have always brought our own.  Last year we had gone down a day early and went to Walgreens to get necessities and spent a small fortune...because of course they can get it.  I told my husband it would have been cheaper to pay the overage on the bag of $75 with Southwest and we would have the exact items we wanted and not have to lug and tote from Walgreens to the hotel.   Last year it took 3 and most times 4 days to get laundry back.  My husband is always like pack less and send it to laundry.  Well last year, he realized it is better to have that "extra" pair of shorts so you are not caught without! LOL  I am hoping I can ask for a big bucket of ice with saran wrap over it so we have enough ice so I don't have to bring my ice bucket!  I wonder if that is an OK request to ask for?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

We are going for 30 days...so we do have a lot to pack.  I hate to pack things like cocktail napkins which I shouldn't have to do, but it keeps your glass on the table when the seas get rough.  We have had the condensation and our glass has slid right off the table.  I have some rubber coasters.  I may bring those instead.  I guess it is different for everyone based on their own needs.  Some are happy to use the shower gel and shampoo and we have always brought our own.  Last year we had gone down a day early and went to Walgreens to get necessities and spent a small fortune...because of course they can get it.  I told my husband it would have been cheaper to pay the overage on the bag of $75 with Southwest and we would have the exact items we wanted and not have to lug and tote from Walgreens to the hotel.   Last year it took 3 and most times 4 days to get laundry back.  My husband is always like pack less and send it to laundry.  Well last year, he realized it is better to have that "extra" pair of shorts so you are not caught without! LOL  I am hoping I can ask for a big bucket of ice with saran wrap over it so we have enough ice so I don't have to bring my ice bucket!  I wonder if that is an OK request to ask for?

We are not fussy about hair care products but the stuff they provided on our last Royal Caribbean cruise was so bad that we had to stop at a CVS in San Juan to get shampoo and body wash. 

On 12/13/2019 at 1:32 AM, dog said:

There was not in mine on the Sky Dec 4/19. 

Mine had a pen in the room. If you go to the art auction at some point they pass out applications for their credit along with a wrapped Princess pen. These are the very cheap ones not sold in the store.

On 1/4/2020 at 9:17 AM, geoherb said:

I have never heard of this.  🤔

For the entire ship?

On 12/14/2019 at 8:43 PM, donaldsc said:

There is a good reason for no stationary.  Nobody actually writes letters anymore.  We all do it electronically.  Get into the 21st century.

DON

Personalized stationary along with a waffle robe are a couple of gifts given on the $150 ultimate tour.

On 12/30/2019 at 7:03 PM, bugsy43 said:

the Elite canapés in cabin are still available, however now you have to fill out the room service card with your selections and give to your steward in advance if you want them delivered. Many people (including us), ended up not eating them so they must have wasted a lot and figured this way, those that want them can have them.

I tried 3 of the canapes on my last cruise and they are worth nothing. Since I go as a single I would bring the plate up on deck for my sister and brother-in-law and they also thought they were worth nothing too.

On 12/29/2019 at 10:52 AM, Dunk said:

Back when The Captain's Circle was called "Circolo del Comandante", repeat passengers received two lovely crystal champagne flutes, engraved with the seawitch, presented in gift boxes. I can only imagine how much that would cost them today! I still use mine every New Year's Eve. 

Sitmar Cruises which Princess purchased had the Circolo del Comandante . The crystal glasses I had were Manhattan sized. I guess Princess carried over the "club" for a while.

9 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I have never heard of this.  🤔

For the entire ship?

Sabatinis used to offer a brunch on sea days on the Grand class ships when they first came out.

The Tex-Mex restaurant (Painted Desert/Desert Rose) also used to have brunch on sea days that was cheaper than dinner.

7 minutes ago, denmarks said:

I tried 3 of the canapes on my last cruise and they are worth nothing. Since I go as a single I would bring the plate up on deck for my sister and brother-in-law and they also thought they were worth nothing too.

They are just nasty. The chocolate covered strawberries and cream puffs were good, when they gave them out as an option.

• Like 1