Nieuw Amsterdam - December 14th - Azipod failure

iamwiz82

11 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

There is no other reason to go to Freeport, Grand Bahama Shipyard and its four dry-docks it is

Actually, I think there is.  Even if the repairs can be completed out of the water, I would expect the shipyard  to have better staffing and facilities and will likely be a lot cheaper than a dock in Ft. Lauderdale.

Roy

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Actually, I think there is.  Even if the repairs can be completed out of the water, I would expect the shipyard  to have better staffing and facilities and will likely be a lot cheaper than a dock in Ft. Lauderdale.

Roy

There have been HAL wetdocks in PEV in the past Roy. Regardless, AIS will tell you where she's going in Freeport

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

You bought/paid for your airfare to Fort Lauderdale, right?  And if HAL cancels the sailing, you will get a refund of your cruise fare.  So if you have a credit card you could book something else in the Fort Lauderdale area and use the refund from HAL to pay off the new/different vacation charge on your credit card.... if your personal circumstances permit that.

Excellent points and suggestion 🙂 

1 hour ago, Samanthac25 said:

The reported ETA is 6:45am tomorrow. I am scheduled on the 12/21 sailing so I am REALLY hoping that this will be a quick repair!

I’m on the 12/21 sailing with my girls as well! In same predicament as you with no back up plan as we’ve saved and been so anxious and excited for this sailing! Hoping and praying we get to go...if not our Christmas is just nothing then!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NavArch64 said:

If the repairs can be done in four days in the shipyard in Freeport, she could be back in Port Everglades by Saturday morning for her next regularly scheduled departure. I would be interested in the technical nature of the repairs if anyone should find out such information.

A day to set the blocks, and a combined day to get on/off the blocks doesn't leave much time for a pod repair.  Not saying it can't be done, but that's cutting very close, and assuming a spare pod is present.

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

There is no other reason to go to Freeport, Grand Bahama Shipyard and its four dry-docks it is

Yeah, there currently is nothing showing in GBSY in their drydocks, which would be unusual, so I have my doubts about the reliability of the data, as many ships will turn their AIS off in drydock.  I believe they only had three docks, and now have only two.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, QueenMom0610 said:

I’m on the 12/21 sailing with my girls as well! In same predicament as you with no back up plan as we’ve saved and been so anxious and excited for this sailing! Hoping and praying we get to go...if not our Christmas is just nothing then!

Fingers crossed! This week coincides with both Christmas and my daughters 14th birthday. This trip was THE gift.. Hopefully we all get our Christmas miracle 😊

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, QueenMom0610 said:

The company has said they will communicate early this week; at least giving you the option of booking something else for the same time frame if you have air travel already.  But I also understand that's a holiday week sailing and if you are looking for last minute space it might be quite expensive.  Hope it works out; I understand the disappointment. 

11 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

A day to set the blocks, and a combined day to get on/off the blocks doesn't leave much time for a pod repair.  Not saying it can't be done, but that's cutting very close, and assuming a spare pod is present.

Yeah, there currently is nothing showing in GBSY in their drydocks, which would be unusual, so I have my doubts about the reliability of the data, as many ships will turn their AIS off in drydock.  I believe they only had three docks, and now have only two.

NA will not fit in drydock #1

54 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I think price is the least of their concerns at the moment. Speed is.

I watched her depart on the PEV webcam … very interesting wake pattern at the stern … seemed to be unusually turbulent on the port side for the modest speed … and no wake on the starboard side. One might guess that the problem AZIPOD is the starboard unit. But, only HAL knows.

• Thanks 1

I just had another thought … normally the AZIPOD propellers "pull" the ship (are forward of the pod in order to have smoother flow into the propellers) in the routine underway mode. However, with the starboard unit inoperable, perhaps the port AZIPOD is operating in the "push" configuration (propeller aft of the pod) in order to better maintain directional stability in this operating condition. That might explain the turbulence seen at the stern behind the port AZIPOD. Anyone have other ideas?  

36 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

I just had another thought … normally the AZIPOD propellers "pull" the ship (are forward of the pod in order to have smoother flow into the propellers) in the routine underway mode. However, with the starboard unit inoperable, perhaps the port AZIPOD is operating in the "push" configuration (propeller aft of the pod) in order to better maintain directional stability in this operating condition. That might explain the turbulence seen at the stern behind the port AZIPOD. Anyone have other ideas?  

One of the captains told me that on the pods when they were first being used that they would ruin the bearing if they did this - has that changed on the newer pods?

Very good comment … that might be so. Clearly the Captain and Chief Engineer do not want to risk damaging the port AZIPOD in any way. I wish HAL would share technical details with those interested … but my experience is that generally, they do not. In any event, we wish HAL well with the necessary repairs to the starboard AZIPOD. As I am booked on the March 28 sailing, I want the ship to be back in tip=top condition ASAP.   

1 hour ago, NavArch64 said:

Very good comment … that might be so. Clearly the Captain and Chief Engineer do not want to risk damaging the port AZIPOD in any way. I wish HAL would share technical details with those interested … but my experience is that generally, they do not. In any event, we wish HAL well with the necessary repairs to the starboard AZIPOD. As I am booked on the March 28 sailing, I want the ship to be back in tip=top condition ASAP.   

The lawyers probably tell them to only give out the minimum info necessary. Best to "Dummy Up"