Can I do this cruise? San Diego to Mexico to Vancouver?

DaveOKC

I am thinking of combining a 7 day Mexico cruise (from/to San Diego) followed by a Pacific Coastal cruise from San Diego to Vancouver.  Same ship.

Is this route possible or do I run into some US restriction?  Since I basically am starting in the US and ending in Canada, I think that this would work, but want to be sure.

5 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Since I basically am starting in the US and ending in Canada, I think that this would work, but want to be sure.

I'm reading it the same way you are. There is no PVSA consideration as you are starting in the US and ending in another country. 

19 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I am thinking of combining a 7 day Mexico cruise (from/to San Diego) followed by a Pacific Coastal cruise from San Diego to Vancouver.  Same ship.

Is this route possible or do I run into some US restriction?  Since I basically am starting in the US and ending in Canada, I think that this would work, but want to be sure.

Yes, it's legal under the PVSA.

Very nice.  From your description I was wondering why Mexico would be involved and it's just a routine b2b with the first leg a round trip from the port of origin followed by a standard repo.

I was wondering why you would even be asking about this but in the fire service we have a saying "There are no stupid questions, only stupid mistakes".  Have a great time.

Roy

3 hours ago, canadianbear said:

It has to be ok as the Maasdam is offering the 19 day Sea of Cortez & Pacific Coastal-I’m tempted on that one!

Hey Canadianbear, I think you are from Vancouver, me too, we are on that Maasdam sailing in April, sailing home to Vancouver.  We are also doing Copper Canyon, didn't even know about Copper Canyon until I read on the roll call, so I did some research and signed up. Why not join the cruise, there are now direct flights from Vancouver to San Diego now, we used to have to do a transfer. We are using flight ease.

Mary

Just now, Lido deck main said:

Hey Canadianbear, I think you are from Vancouver, me too, we are on that Maasdam sailing in April, sailing home to Vancouver.  We are also doing Copper Canyon, didn't even know about Copper Canyon until I read on the roll call, so I did some research and signed up. Why not join the cruise, there are now direct flights from Vancouver to San Diego now, we used to have to do a transfer. We are using flight ease.

Mary

I actually have friends that will be on the Pacific Coastal part on the Maasdam.  The problem is Mr Bear will be fishing so if I went, I’d be single and paying the single supplement and not sure I can justify it after having just been on the Oosterdam for 2 weeks!  (We had the direct flight with Air Canada).

Love cruises that end in our Vancouver home town.   I’ll be looking forward to your review!

Hi Dave, in 2017 we took Oosterdam down the coast from Vancouver to San Diego, to Mexican Riviera and back to San Diego. 12 days. It was alot of fun. We are thinking about the 7 day Wine Country and Pacific Northwest down to San Diego, stay with family and catch either a Mexico trip, or sail back up to Vancouver or Seattle. 

As others have said, no issue here.  We did the reverse this fall on Eurodam -  Vancouver to San Diego.  Booked as one 11-night cruise but one could also book them separately:

• 4-night Pacific Coastal Vancouver to San Diego
  • 7-night Mexican Riviera R/T San Diego

We loved the itinerary!

14 hours ago, canadianbear said:

It has to be ok as the Maasdam is offering the 19 day Sea of Cortez & Pacific Coastal-I’m tempted on that one!

Love the Maasdam canadianbear! We saw the cruise and would jump on it in a heartbeat but we will already be in the Med on our cruises than! Loved your blog on the Oosterdam and have a wonderful Christmas with your granddaughters FIRST CHRISTMAS!

Denise😊

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Serious Cruisers said:

I was going to do this sailing but changed it to vancouver (4 days pacific coastal) ends in Seattle, then seattle hawaii return for a total of 21 days same cabin.  used points for a quick return flight out of seatac!

Makes no sense. You can't do a San Diego-Seattle cruise, unless there is a stop at a distant foreign port. You can do San Diego-Vancouver.

12 minutes ago, Serious Cruisers said:

The second cruise (Hawaii) stops in victoria for its foreign port!  21 days yahoo

What are the two (or more?) cruises you're contemplating?

The issue is that a non-US flagged ship cannot carry passengers from one US port to a different US port without a stop in a DISTANT foreign port.  Victoria is not a distant foreign port.

Edited by Shmoo here

8 minutes ago, Serious Cruisers said:

The second cruise (Hawaii) stops in victoria for its foreign port!  21 days yahoo

But Victoria is not a "distant foreign port", so no, you can't sail from San Diego to Seattle. If the Hawaii trip ends at Vancouver,  so that you go San Diego-Vancouver in the total cruise, you are OK.

The closest distant foreign ports would be Japan.

3 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

What are the two cruises you're contemplating?

The issue is that a non-US flagged ship cannot carry passengers from one US port to a different US port without a stop in a DISTANT foreign port.  Victoria is not a distant foreign port.

All West Coast sailings use Victoria,Canada.  We are Vancouver (4 day) ending in Seattle, then Seattle to hawaii return.  Booked and paid for, now we wait (done these many times in the past).

1 minute ago, Serious Cruisers said:

All West Coast sailings use Victoria,Canada.  We are Vancouver (4 day) ending in Seattle, then Seattle to hawaii return.  Booked and paid for, now we wait (done these many times in the past).

Yes, but for a repo from a foreign port ending in a US port (Seattle), as well as a round trip out of Seattle, only A foreign port is required.  Not a DISTANT foreign port.

I think Cruiser Bruce was reading your post as you'd be taking the San Diego/Vancouver B2B with the Vancouver/Seattle repo then the Seattle roundtrip to Hawaii.  That wouldn't be allowed, as the entire cruise would be from San Diego to Seattle and violates the PVSA.

18 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Yes, but for a repo from a foreign port ending in a US port (Seattle), as well as a round trip out of Seattle, only A foreign port is required.  Not a DISTANT foreign port.

I think Cruiser Bruce was reading your post as you'd be taking the San Diego/Vancouver B2B with the Vancouver/Seattle repo then the Seattle roundtrip to Hawaii.  That wouldn't be allowed, as the entire cruise would be from San Diego to Seattle and violates the PVSA.

Thanks Smhoo that makes sense now

3 hours ago, Serious Cruisers said:

There is a requirement within the regulations for a stop at a foreign port for a round trip out of a US port. That is where Victoria comes in, for Alaska cruises, for example.

This post:

I was going to do this sailing but changed it to vancouver (4 days pacific coastal) ends in Seattle, then seattle hawaii return for a total of 21 days same cabin.  used points for a quick return flight out of seatac!

was very confusing...that is why we are trying to get the correct info to you.

On 12/15/2019 at 3:06 PM, DaveOKC said:

If they offer it...you can book it. When you book a cruise, you are not required to research laws and rules to make sure you are not violating any.

Edited by kevingastreich

16 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

If they offer it...you can book it. When you book a cruise, you are not required to research laws and rules to make sure you are not violating any.

There have been a number of times mentioned here that after people have booked, it has been discovered by the cruise line the route violates the law and regulations.