Wonderful Copenhagen 2023

13 minutes ago, Adventures ahead said:

Is it possible to visit this museum on a port day, or only feasible if staying in Copenhagen for a couple of days?

It is possible to visit the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde when only one day in Copenhagen.

Assuming docking at Oceankaj (can be another location) it will take  you one and half hour each way - bus to Østerport Station - train to Roskilde Station - then a 20 minutes walk (1.8 km) from station to the museum.

You can also visit the Cathedral in Roskilde.

If you can time it with the 203 bus then you can reduce the travel time. 

It departs from Roskilde station at XX:29 and XX:57 towards Veddelev,  it only takes 6 minututes or 3 stops. 

Depending on what train you catch from Østerport it then takes from 31 to 39 minutes to get there. 

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Gnome12, 
do we need a whole day there in case we decide for it or would 2-3 hrs be enough? 

I was there when they opened at 10 and stayed through lunch to the early afternoon. I probably spent about 1-1/2 to 2 hours inside, and about the same outside at the demonstration areas. If you want to go out on one of the replica ships you would need more time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On 3/21/2020 at 8:49 PM, Nok977 said:

Hi everyone, 

How does Denmark deal with Covid? Everything closed? I think I saw in a Stockholm thread that Sweden is closing all main attractions until further notice. Same for Denmark? It is unbelievable how one small bacteria can ruin our plans 😷

Denmark is shut down completely for tourists for now. It's simply not a valid reason to enter the country. No cruise ships will arrive for now. These restriction will stay in place AT LEAST until April 13th. 

You can get the updated information from the Danish authorities here: https://politi.dk/en/coronavirus-in-denmark 

On 3/21/2020 at 2:49 PM, Nok977 said:

Hi everyone, 

How does Denmark deal with Covid? Everything closed? I think I saw in a Stockholm thread that Sweden is closing all main attractions until further notice. Same for Denmark? It is unbelievable how one small bacteria can ruin our plans 😷

Not a bacteria. Huge difference.

Danish viking, thank you for the link! I enjoyed this virtual tour of Frederiksborg Palace, indeed something interesting to do to spend the time. Thank goodness for the internet or it would drive me crazy!
I hope everyone stays well!

• 2 weeks later...

Denmark is loosening COVID-19 restrictions per a recent news report. Should we dream that our cruise departing Copenhagen on 8/23 might actually set sail? This cruise ends in Tarragona ESP and there is news that Spain is also easing into a return to a more normal existence. 

Hope Danish Viking, Frederik123456 and hallasm as well as their families and friends are doing well.

18 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Denmark is loosening COVID-19 restrictions per a recent news report. Should we dream that our cruise departing Copenhagen on 8/23 might actually set sail? This cruise ends in Tarragona ESP and there is news that Spain is also easing into a return to a more normal existenc

Hard to say at this time how it looks like for your August 23 departure for Tarragona.
The positive is that Jewel of the Seas is now in Greece after a Dubai sailing.
Hence she at least will have no problems with any CDC no Sailing injunction.
She Is currently scheduled for the first Cruise out of Copenhagen May 13 2020. Do not think that is realistic.
Danish borders was closed by March 14 at noon up to and including May 10 2020. Might be extended.

I traveled across the US and California in February and took an Allure of the Seas cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona - the last cruise ship allowed to enter a Spanish port on March 13 - just returned to Denmark before the borders closed and self quarantined myself for two weeks. However, no problems with Covid-19 so far.
I have canceled all my 2020 trips. So now I have to see when it will be possible to travel again

Edited by hallasm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're considering cruising out of Copenhagen in 2021.  Would be our first cruise out of Europe.  I'm a bit concerned about language barriers, as my husband and I only speak English.  Would we be able to explore Copenhagen easily on our own?

Thanks for any help/advice!

4 hours ago, blt2006 said:

Would we be able to explore Copenhagen easily on our own?

Not a problem at all - Almost all Danes have English as their second language - Copenhagen will be an excellent choice.

Copenhagen is a relatively small city with majorly of the sights in short distance from City Centre. Walking, Ho-Ho Bus, Canal Tours. You can also consider to visit some of the castles north of Copenhagen at a day tour by train.

- lots of ideas and help available in this topic.

On 7/4/2020 at 4:14 AM, blt2006 said:

We're considering cruising out of Copenhagen in 2021.  Would be our first cruise out of Europe.  I'm a bit concerned about language barriers, as my husband and I only speak English.  Would we be able to explore Copenhagen easily on our own?

When we were there I didn't even realized it was another country - they speak English almost everywhere , in the subway, cafes

• 2 months later...
On 7/4/2020 at 4:14 AM, blt2006 said:

In Scandinavia English is almost as common as their native languages, same applies to Netherlands.  Everyone speaks English, so no need to worry at all, just go ahead!

Edited by Fran2020
found a typo

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

I’ve got 2 days in Copenhagen before boarding my Jewel cruise.  I use a cane so I can’t do a lot of walking.  Any ideas of what to do and see?  Can anyone recommend a tour guide?

The city itself is quite boring in my opinion. Unlike its brother city Saint Petersburg it doesnt have good restaurants or some cool clubs that you could visit, nor it has any bars or galleries where you could kill some time.. I would rather stay in the hotel lobby or just spent some time in the park 

16 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

The city itself is quite boring in my opinion. Unlike its brother city Saint Petersburg it doesnt have good restaurants or some cool clubs that you could visit, nor it has any bars or galleries where you could kill some time.. I would rather stay in the hotel lobby or just spent some time in the park 

I'm not sure that is the type of thing that sellwingri was looking for.

I, on the other hand, spent 4 nights in Copenhagen, and found a lot of things to do, although I admit to being more mobile than sellwingri. There are boat tours of the canals that give you a chance to see some of the interesting architecture. I spent a few hours in the design museum if that is to your taste. There are the Danish Crown Jewels at the Rosenborg Slot, right in town. A little farther afield, I spent an entire morning at the Viking Ships Museum in Roskilde.

3 hours ago, sellwingri said:

I’ve got 2 days in Copenhagen before boarding my Jewel cruise.  I use a cane so I can’t do a lot of walking.  Any ideas of what to do and see?  Can anyone recommend a tour guide?

Like gnome12, we have enjoyed our stays in Copenhagen and found plenty to see and do. We are not into clubbing or visiting bars (although there are plenty of these) - we are more into the history & culture of the places that we visit.

Copenhagen is a very accessible city to those with mobility limitations. Note that in most of the palaces you can ask for a wheelchair (free) if you don't feel like much walking.

I would recommend a canal cruise (we usually catch our cruises from Nyhavn) - the cruise takes about an hour and is very relaxing and enjoyable. Another option is the HOHO bus - you can do the full route to get your bearings and a feel for the city as well as a brief overview of the must see tourist highlights.

Copenhagen also has an excellent metro & S train system - it is easy to get around without too much walking.

Some of the sights we have enjoyed:

National Museum of Denmark - Danish culture & history (excellent)

Amalienborg Palace (changing of the guard at noon daily)

Rosenborg Castle (crown jewels)

Copenhagen is famous for its open faced sandwiches and there are many excellent restaurants in the city. One of our favorite restaurants is in Tivoli Gardens - Groften (reservations are a must). We love to go in the evening when the lights of Tivoli make the place seem magical. 

https://www.tivoligardens.com/en/mad+og+drikke/spisesteder/groeften

Christianborg Palace

And, the Danes are delightful - we found them friendly and helpful. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 8:43 PM, dogs4fun said:

Like gnome12, we have enjoyed our stays in Copenhagen and found plenty to see and do. We are not into clubbing or visiting bars (although there are plenty of these) - we are more into the history & culture of the places that we visit.

Copenhagen is a very accessible city to those with mobility limitations. Note that in most of the palaces you can ask for a wheelchair (free) if you don't feel like much walking.

I would recommend a canal cruise (we usually catch our cruises from Nyhavn) - the cruise takes about an hour and is very relaxing and enjoyable. Another option is the HOHO bus - you can do the full route to get your bearings and a feel for the city as well as a brief overview of the must see tourist highlights.

Copenhagen also has an excellent metro & S train system - it is easy to get around without too much walking.

Some of the sights we have enjoyed:

National Museum of Denmark - Danish culture & history (excellent)

Amalienborg Palace (changing of the guard at noon daily)

Rosenborg Castle (crown jewels)

Copenhagen is famous for its open faced sandwiches and there are many excellent restaurants in the city. One of our favorite restaurants is in Tivoli Gardens - Groften (reservations are a must). We love to go in the evening when the lights of Tivoli make the place seem magical. 

https://www.tivoligardens.com/en/mad+og+drikke/spisesteder/groeften

Christianborg Palace

And, the Danes are delightful - we found them friendly and helpful. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Another vote for Groften, it is terrific!