Cutbacks at Share, Crown Grill, Sabatini’s

Loreni

I’ve noticed some changes in the menu at these.  For example, Crown Grill used to offer diver scallops as an appetizer, now it is bay scallops...big difference.  The new Share menu as of October 2018 also has less expensive ingredients in several cases.  The changes at Sabatini’s have been previously discussed.  We know what has happened to the MDR over the past several years.  I believe the always available beef is now hamburger.  We still find cruising a good value and the food is good enough.  However, we had been considering do more specialty dining to try to recapture the way cruising used to feel, so it is a shame to see cutbacks at these venues too.

Do you still find the specialty dining to be a good value?

Edited by Loreni

I don't view it as good a value as it used to be.  The food has gone thru some changes, the costs have been raised, and they now charge you for additional mains.  We used to go on formal nights to avoid having to dress up, but we don't do that now.  We will still go when we have the BOGO coupon, but we don't if we have to pay full price. 

My last ribeye was a bit tough, and it sure seemed like the quality of the meats has gone down the last couple of years, along with other cutbacks that have been discussed across the line. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, franktown said:

I personally loved the new menu at Sabatini's.  

I felt the same way about their newer Trattoria menu...Molto Bene!

They eventually listened to passengers and returned the popular fried calamari and burrata appetizers from the original Sabatini’s menu to the Trattoria menu.  The pasta & dessert samplers were great & we appreciated having some new options.  I feel it’s not a reduced quality but instead having variety added to the menu.

The Trattoria menu cost $25 while the original menu is $29.  A lower price for a more enjoyable dinner works for us but taste is so subjective & others will feel differently.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Loreni said:

Do you still find the specialty dining to be a good value?

the Value Not Bad, since it does feel more like a restaurant.

the Crown Grill is good, but the menu is something you would do only once or twice a cruise

Sabatini's Trattoria menu we do not like....

so do not go there, we liked the old menu...  but that is us.

Mainly go to MDR Club Class.... and so far we have been happy with that

Cheers Don

We've never really found the specialty venues to be a "good value" as we simply can't eat the amount of food served. The last time we went (comped) we got the stink-eye because we not only didn't finish the meal but didn't have dessert. They acted offended. We also have an issue with the quality of meat and the preparation in Crown Grill. The last cruise I ordered Rib Eye and it wasn't very flavorful. We normally order our beef medium rare but they seem to have an issue managing to prepare it that way. If we have the filet the outer half of it is medium rare and the inner half is extremely rare. This has happened several times. If we do eat in Crown Grill again I guess we will need to order it "medium" which seems silly. Actually, if we do eat in Crown Grill again I may not order beef. Pretty sad in a steak house.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

We've never really found the specialty venues to be a "good value" as we simply can't eat the amount of food served. The last time we went (comped) we got the stink-eye because we not only didn't finish the meal but didn't have dessert. They acted offended. We also have an issue with the quality of meat and the preparation in Crown Grill. The last cruise I ordered Rib Eye and it wasn't very flavorful. We normally order our beef medium rare but they seem to have an issue managing to prepare it that way. If we have the filet the outer half of it is medium rare and the inner half is extremely rare. This has happened several times. If we do eat in Crown Grill again I guess we will need to order it "medium" which seems silly. Actually, if we do eat in Crown Grill again I may not order beef. Pretty sad in a steak house.

For the filet, a suggestion: as it is such a thick cut, ask them to butterfly it, and then order that medium rare.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

the Crown Grill is good, but the menu is something you would do only once or twice a cruise

Cheers Don

14 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Cheers Don

What makes MDR Club Class unique and better then the other specialty restaurants.  Can you give examples of why cuisine is exceptional in Club Class.  What do you enjoy eating there?

39 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

My last ribeye was a bit tough, and it sure seemed like the quality of the meats has gone down the last couple of years

I feel the same way about their filet mignon...too often disappointing unlike a few years ago when it was always great.  On the same cruise have found the filets served at the UBD & Winemakers Dinner to be better than at the CG.  As a result of the inconsistent quality of CG steaks we’re less likely to go there in hopes of getting a better steak.

Thankfully service is usually good at the specialty restaurants.

8 minutes ago, Thrak said:

what grade of beef  is used at the steak house?
is the protein sous-vide?

Edited by Justalone

3 minutes ago, jwattle said:

For the filet, a suggestion: as it is such a thick cut, ask them to butterfly it, and then order that medium rare.

Hmmm... Have you done this successfully?  It seems to be a great suggestion. Many thanks for the constructive input! (I will definitely relay this to my wife as well as that will double the chance we remember. 😋)  We have a B2B2B booked for November/December and each of them lists the "cruise night coupon book" which should be the one with the specialty restaurant BOGO coupon. Since it is 3 cruises and we are both listed for the book on each of them we may well avail ourselves of the opportunity.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jwattle said:

I have; I am a medium rare girl (and I will, admittedly eat rare, but I do like it to at least be warm, lol). That method seems to work. 

Awesome. Thanks again for such an excellent suggestion. Sometimes I'm amazed at the simple solutions one can overlook.

• Like 1

I had been disappointed with the changes I'd been reading about online with the specialty dining and was a little convinced it would not be as good as previous cruises (we do about half if not more nights in specialty on cruises). On my December Sky we ate at Crown Grill twice, Sabatini's once (there is no Share on that ship).  Both venues were excellent and didn't feel cheapened or dumbed down at all. My filet mignon and veal chop at Crown Grill were both perfection, and I say that as a regular customer at pricey steakhouses back home.  Sides were generous and very delicious. Sabatini's was really great too and I didn't miss the items I thought I would and enjoyed some new selections.  So just look forward to it like you normally would.  BTW where I live bay scallops are WAY more expensive that diver scallops.  Like nearly twice the price sometimes.  But I found that no scallops on my Sky cruise in any venue were particularly awesome, they were just ok/good. I would not order them on a future cruise. A little bland and lacking that super buttery rich taste I normally get with scallops.  Maybe they were previously frozen or something. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

Loved the Crown Grill the last two times we went. Agree though that there is just too much food.

I love the Black and Blue Onion Soup but need to not order it as I am full after I eat the stuff and then still have the main course to go. I wish they had additional, simpler offerings such as a clear broth.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Justalone said:

What makes MDR Club Class unique and better then the other specialty restaurants.  Can you give examples of why cuisine is exceptional in Club Class.  What do you enjoy eating there?

Good Question....

For one CC is included in our fare..... food I know is MDR  which I would not call exceptional but is pretty good.... and often the extra dish is very good..... also the big thing is the service..... particularly our last cruise of 26 nights the service was great and very friendly...nothing was to much trouble.. 

Digressing  :-   I would not call any food make on mass ( ie cruise ship ) exceptional.... it is good ( noting food is a personal thing )   if you want exceptional food.... go to a exceptional place....

( we have be to one small resort style place, were one of the chefs came to our room and cook us dinner for the evening.... it was exceptional )

So trying to but things into prospective, we are on a cruise ship with a couple thousand other people, with a very large commercial kitchen... working very hard.... ( and I am not cooking ) the food in general is pretty good and sometimes very good..... we have had some very good meals in the crown grill....

but nothing exceptional

Cheers Don

5 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Is Club Class a special cabin or an extra charge to a regular cabin. I assume Club Class is only offered on certain ships ?? We are on Caribbean next September and do not see Club Class as an option.

Club Class Mini (Suites) and Full Suites