Cutbacks at Share, Crown Grill, Sabatini’s

Loreni

1 minute ago, MixerDave said:

How do you know they serve "select"?

I asked if it was Choice and they said "no" and they were sort of embarrassed to answer. Again, I live in beef country and I knew it wasn't Choice. And we all know it is not Prime.

Edited by Coral

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

I asked if it was Choice and they said "no" and they were sort of embarrassed to answer. Again, I live in beef country and I knew it wasn't Choice. And we all know it is not Prime.

The menu says "Featuring the Finest Center Cuts from Sterling Silver Corn Fed Beef".  This from Sterling Silver " Sterling Silver only uses the top ⅔ of all meat graded Choice using these parameters. Choice beef is high quality, tender, juicy and flavorful so you know you’ll get premium quality in every bite.

So is Princess lying??

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Coral said:

Where is beef country?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MixerDave said:

The menu says "Featuring the Finest Center Cuts from Sterling Silver Corn Fed Beef".  This from Sterling Silver " Sterling Silver only uses the top ⅔ of all meat graded Choice using these parameters. Choice beef is high quality, tender, juicy and flavorful so you know you’ll get premium quality in every bite.

So is Princess lying??

I remember looking at their website maybe 2 years ago and it did not say that. It left out what grade they were selling. The last few times I have eaten it, it was not very good. I do remember the asparagus was excellent though. I may try again in April.

I was speaking with the Head Waiter previously.

Edited by Coral

Every piece of beef is evaluated by the USDA and awarded shields and labels as such. This system assures consumers the products they buy have gone through a rigorous review process by highly skilled graders and auditors who follow the official grade and process standards developed, maintained and interpreted by USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service1.

HIGH QUALITY GUARANTEED
Sterling Silver only uses the top ⅔ of all meat graded Choice using these parameters. Choice beef is high quality, tender, juicy and flavorful so you know you’ll get premium quality in every bite

This was from the Sterling Silver site today.

• Like 1

Marketing.  I would not assume because they advertise something that it is across all ships/all sailings.  Their steaks are okay, but they are not what I would consider high quality.  About like Kroger meat locally, it's okay, but not special. 

Edit:  They are slightly better than what is served in the DR.

Edited by kywildcatfanone

On 1/21/2020 at 12:41 PM, Thrak said:

We've never really found the specialty venues to be a "good value" as we simply can't eat the amount of food served. The last time we went (comped) we got the stink-eye because we not only didn't finish the meal but didn't have dessert. They acted offended. We also have an issue with the quality of meat and the preparation in Crown Grill. The last cruise I ordered Rib Eye and it wasn't very flavorful. We normally order our beef medium rare but they seem to have an issue managing to prepare it that way. If we have the filet the outer half of it is medium rare and the inner half is extremely rare. This has happened several times. If we do eat in Crown Grill again I guess we will need to order it "medium" which seems silly. Actually, if we do eat in Crown Grill again I may not order beef. Pretty sad in a steak house.

Thrak, I always order my filet "butterfly cut" and medium rare.  In case you don't know, butterflying means cut it in half before cooking.  This avoids the center being raw.

Sorry, this is redundant.  I posted this before I read the rest of the thread and the numerous others giving this advice.

Edited by Mike45LC

4 hours ago, MixerDave said:

So is Princess lying??

Where do you find this?  Can’t seem to locate this on their site or the pdf of the Crown Grill menu.

On 1/21/2020 at 3:51 PM, Thrak said:

Hmmm... Have you done this successfully?  It seems to be a great suggestion. Many thanks for the constructive input! (I will definitely relay this to my wife as well as that will double the chance we remember. 😋)  We have a B2B2B booked for November/December and each of them lists the "cruise night coupon book" which should be the one with the specialty restaurant BOGO coupon. Since it is 3 cruises and we are both listed for the book on each of them we may well avail ourselves of the opportunity.

My husband has it done this way ALWAYS for the filet...it is excellent.  The head waiter called it Pittsburgh style.  Tender and juicy on the inside but grilled nicely on the outside.  It continues to cook at it sits on the plate too.  He does his medium rare and it is just right for him.  I like mine rare so I don't need to butterfly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jwattle said:

Would normally agree, however with a really thick cut, if you want mid rare throughout, butterflying can give a beautiful result, and Crown Grill is a perfect example. ❤️

Will the Crown Grill sous-vide your protein if you request it the day before? 
Your steak should be perfect to your preferred doneness.  From end to end.

Edited by Justalone
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Justalone said:

Will the Crown Grill sous-vide your protein if you request it the day before? 
Your steak should be perfect to your preferred doneness.  From end to end.

This to me is just pushing things a little too much.  I wonder if they will let me go into the kitchen and cook my own filet ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Thrak said:

I guess I'm out of the loop. Where is the documented connection between Crown Grill and this meat company? I am not saying this is bogus, I'm just saying I'm not conversant with the connection.

It says it on the menu.

5 hours ago, jwattle said:

Every piece of beef is evaluated by the USDA and awarded shields and labels as such. This system assures consumers the products they buy have gone through a rigorous review process by highly skilled graders and auditors who follow the official grade and process standards developed, maintained and interpreted by USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service1.

HIGH QUALITY GUARANTEED
Sterling Silver only uses the top ⅔ of all meat graded Choice using these parameters. Choice beef is high quality, tender, juicy and flavorful so you know you’ll get premium quality in every bite

This was from the Sterling Silver site today.

All I can tell you is what they told me. And the meat seemed to match what he told me.

9 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Ahhhhh.... Sorry. Just looking at the online menu and it's not there. Must be on the actual onboard menu.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/Sterling-Steakhouse-Menu-Sample.pdf

This is from Sterling Steakhouse on some of the other ships.

Under steaks here: https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/Crown-Grill-Menu-Sample.pdf 

Edited by Coral

On 1/21/2020 at 5:26 PM, jwattle said:

And let's not forget the black and bleu french onion soup, whose recipe we obtained, and now make on cold rainy nights at home: OMG, YUM!!!! ❤️

Hi jwattle,

The next time it’s raining and cold out in Boston I will come by for a cup.

Your Friend,

6E0FED28-AAC8-4CC2-85C4-DAE6211EFE3D.jpeg

3 hours ago, memoak said:

This to me is just pushing things a little too much.  I wonder if they will let me go into the kitchen and cook my own filet ?

Or let me use a grill on the open deck.  I would say balcony, but we usually book insides so that won't work.

1 hour ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi jwattle,

The next time it’s raining and cold out in Boston I will come by for a cup.

Your Friend,

Soon you can leave all that muck behind you.  Only six days left.  It is very nice down here in FL.  Too bad I am not on the east coast to meet you.