Fantasy Class Ships - Adding Specialty Restaurant

CCLcruiser91

Do you think Carnival will ever add any of their specialty restaurants to the Fantasy class ships?

I have sailed on the Carnival Inspiration many times (port is close to home) and would like to see them add one (i.e. Steakhouse, Cucina del Capitano, Bonsai Teppanyaki)

(only current option is Chef's Table)

I think there is room to accomplish this (i.e. move the nightclub to the main showroom or use the Lounge space (Avante Garde on Inspiration), etc)

Interested to hear your opinions...

Edited by CCLcruiser91
typo

Why not get rid of more common space and put some extra cabins - oh wait they have done that already on other ships! 
I personally (in case you have not picked up in the vibe) dislike taking common area any reason. They wrecked the showrooms with the duel use as a nightclub and cram more people into less room. 
I am not saying they cannot do this but I hope they don’t. 

• Like 2

I know enough to never say never, but I would be very surprised if they ever added a speciality restaurant to a Fantasy class ships. These ships are getting up their age wise and several of them have been listed for sale for awhile now, as the previous poster mentioned. I still think they will keep at least a few Fantasy class ships around for awhile for ports like Tampa that can only accommodate smaller ships due to bridge issues, but I doubt you will see a speciality restaurant in one of them. 

4 hours ago, Crusin Hogs said:

I look for them to sell off the smaller ships ,before long ,,, 

I would like to see them replace the Fantasy class ships; however, I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Carnival only has two new ships on order -  the new Mardi Gras for 2020 and sister ship in 2022.

1 hour ago, CCLcruiser91 said:

I would like to see them replace the Fantasy class ships; however, I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Carnival only has two new ships on order -  the new Mardi Gras for 2020 and sister ship in 2022.

Another way to look at is since 2009, when Holiday was the most recent ship removed  from their current fleet, they have added Dream, Magic, Breeze, Vista, Horizon, Panorama and the upcoming Mardi Gras and sister ship you mentioned. They also have an option for a third Mardi Gras class ship from what I have heard.  

That is a total of 8, possibly 9, new ships added to their current fleet since 2009 without removing a single ship. At some point I believe it will get to where Carnival will not be able to fill all their ships.  I know the cruise industry has been growing like crazy recently, but eventually I think it will get to the point of saturation where there aren’t enough people cruising to fill all of Carnival ships. A similar argument could be made for other cruise lines like Royal Carribean that continue to increase their fleet size. 

On 1/31/2020 at 3:13 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Another way to look at is since 2009, when Holiday was the most recent ship removed  from their current fleet, they have added Dream, Magic, Breeze, Vista, Horizon, Panorama and the upcoming Mardi Gras and sister ship you mentioned. They also have an option for a third Mardi Gras class ship from what I have heard.  

That is a total of 8, possibly 9, new ships added to their current fleet since 2009 without removing a single ship. At some point I believe it will get to where Carnival will not be able to fill all their ships.  I know the cruise industry has been growing like crazy recently, but eventually I think it will get to the point of saturation where there aren’t enough people cruising to fill all of Carnival ships. A similar argument could be made for other cruise lines like Royal Carribean that continue to increase their fleet size. 

You’re point is solid but the trends and the competition don’t seem to think this. If you look compare the other CruiseLine’s have grown and will continue to grow faster than Carnival (not taking into account their whole umbrella). I don’t see anyone conceding anything of giving up any market share at this stage. There is a port and a ship for everyone and if you need....make one!

On 1/31/2020 at 3:13 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I know the cruise industry has been growing like crazy recently, but eventually I think it will get to the point of saturation where there aren’t enough people cruising to fill all of Carnival ships.

what helps carnival is that they sail out of more ports in the USA compare to Royal and other brands. I remember reading an article a few years ago or so about how carnival has the most drive able homeports and that this helps fills up the ship.

Given the raise of popularity of cruising these days, i wont be surprised to see new home ports being built for all of these new ships.

I don't see Carnival retrofitting a Fantasy-class ship with specialty dining at this point in their life. It requires additional manpower, and may not produce sufficient revenue to cover the operating and deployment costs.

The possible exceptions might be the Paradise and Elation (the last two built), but that would likely be a sign Carnival intends to get close to 40 years out of these vessels.

While a steakhouse might be the flashier pick, if it did happen, don't rule out Ji Ji's Asian Kitchen or Cucina del Capitano being installed - the benefit is that because they can serve as alternate lunch venues, you can theoretically flip part of Lido or the dining rooms without actually decreasing capacity to serve guests. This could even include other concepts like Emeril's Bistro (which also serves breakfast). This would also be useful for two Fantasy class ships in the same market (paging Long Beach), or for ships due to be rotated between home ports - you create a new experience for a returning cruiser.

10 hours ago, Stick93 said:

You’re point is solid but the trends and the competition don’t seem to think this. If you look compare the other CruiseLine’s have grown and will continue to grow faster than Carnival (not taking into account their whole umbrella). I don’t see anyone conceding anything of giving up any market share at this stage. There is a port and a ship for everyone and if you need....make one!

Who cares what the competition does?

Despite some of the obvious bashing, the Fantasy class ships are alive and well.  Carnival just put a ton of money into them. They offer Carnival the opportunity having the most ships sailing from US ports to offer cruisers to sail from their homeport without having to fly or drive long distances to get to the ship. More to the Ops point, I think the logistics of adding a Steakhouse to these ships prohibit it from happening.  

10 hours ago, tidecat said:

I don't see Carnival retrofitting a Fantasy-class ship with specialty dining at this point in their life. It requires additional manpower, and may not produce sufficient revenue to cover the operating and deployment costs.

The possible exceptions might be the Paradise and Elation (the last two built), but that would likely be a sign Carnival intends to get close to 40 years out of these vessels.

While a steakhouse might be the flashier pick, if it did happen, don't rule out Ji Ji's Asian Kitchen or Cucina del Capitano being installed - the benefit is that because they can serve as alternate lunch venues, you can theoretically flip part of Lido or the dining rooms without actually decreasing capacity to serve guests. This could even include other concepts like Emeril's Bistro (which also serves breakfast). This would also be useful for two Fantasy class ships in the same market (paging Long Beach), or for ships due to be rotated between home ports - you create a new experience for a returning cruiser.

Certainly would be easier to achieve, I have no idea on the financials.....

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Who cares what the competition does?

Who cares?? Maybe thats the kind in thinking and decisions carnival is making their boardrooms. I think the shareholders who have seen their stock price vanish to 50% of what it was may disagree with that. 
The stock of the “who cares” competitors have not taken as big of a dip -  Just food for thought -

Jimbo - thankfully you never miss a beat. 

12 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Who cares?? Maybe thats the kind in thinking and decisions carnival is making their boardrooms. I think the shareholders who have seen their stock price vanish to 50% of what it was may disagree with that. 
The stock of the “who cares” competitors have not taken as big of a dip -  Just food for thought -

Jimbo - thankfully you never miss a beat. 

Their stock price has way more to do with the events in the far east, but thst is another topic.  My point was/is that they are the largest cruise line in the workd and also in the Caribbean.  Leaders do no follow and followers do not lead.  They have been leading the pack since 1982.  You may disagree😉.  

Edited by jimbo5544

24 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Their stock price has way more to do with the events in the far east, but thst is another topic.  My point was/is that they are the largest cruise line in the workd and also in the Caribbean.  Leaders do no follow and followers do not lead.  They have been leading the pack since 1982.  You may disagree😉.  

Correct but why conceded market share to anyone else?? 
The more ships the more publicity. 

11 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Correct but why conceded market share to anyone else?? 
The more ships the more publicity. 

I do not think they are doing that and we arr way off topic.  Be happy to discuss tho, start a thread and we can discuss in detail.  

Just to put a specialty restaurant in the Fantasy class really isn't that big of a project if it made sense in the end. The question is, would they get a return on it big enough to justify the investment and use of the real estate? While I don't know for sure, something tells me if they were going to make money off of them, they would be on all of the Fantasy classes by now. My last trip to the Steakhouse on the Dream was not that busy, and that ship had almost double the passengers/

I do find their strategy on these classes a little peculiar. They are still investing in dry docks for them. However, not into the level of the "sunshine class" project. As many indicated, I think these ships are kept around to keep up passenger count and lower-priced options.

34 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I do not think they are doing that and we arr way off topic.  Be happy to discuss tho, start a thread and we can discuss in detail.  

It’s okay - don’t care enough. Carnival does what carnival does. We have the decision to whether or not we want to cruise with them. 

On topic - I like the fantasy ships. Would sale them. I don’t think there is space to start making specialty areas unless they remove something. The product offered in them is genuine Carnival. If they sell them... they sell them. The new Mardi Gras will be a shift in Carnival’s product to something a bit more in line with a ship in a ship experience and separating the paying classes a bit. Will be interesting how the faithful accept it. 

I wish them well. I am personally not loyal to any company anymore. 

56 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

It’s okay - don’t care enough. Carnival does what carnival does. We have the decision to whether or not we want to cruise with them. 

On topic - I like the fantasy ships. Would sale them. I don’t think there is space to start making specialty areas unless they remove something. The product offered in them is genuine Carnival. If they sell them... they sell them. The new Mardi Gras will be a shift in Carnival’s product to something a bit more in line with a ship in a ship experience and separating the paying classes a bit. Will be interesting how the faithful accept it. 

I wish them well. I am personally not loyal to any company anymore. 

Lol, maybe I thought we were on another topic.  I agree they offer the Carnival experience, from my experience the same as every other Carnival class of ship.  Lol, they get rioted for copying (as in to much) from one class to another and now some think not enough?

the Fantasy has been rumored on the market for sometime. Beyond the Mardi Gras 2 in 2022 there is nothing on the order books.  The corporation has spent a lot, shy of Royal with the mega of the sea classes for sure, but the jury is out from my perspective on whether will pay off down the road.  

Mardi Gras sales exceed expectations, let’s get her sailing first.  Clearly the most anticipated CCL ship ever.  

The statement that adding a steakhouse to the Fantasy class ships diminishes public space escapes me?  Please explain further.  A steakhouse is public space so public space to public space seems the same to me. Whether they could logistically add one and where that would be is another issue.  Someone suggested the aft, I assume the fantail, I have no idea if that would work or not.  They are pretty good in estimating return for things like this, so my guess is one of the reasons for not doing it (do not know what these are) must be a show stopper.