Beach items safety

NLeeB

Money, ship card, credit cards, phones - all go in waterproof pouches around our neck.  Camera doesn't fit in the pouch, so if we are swimming, it has to stay in the backpack with our towel & coverup.  I put my stuff where I can see it from the water.  I do know that there are bags that have locks - I bet someone will provide info on them.  I think the brand is Kyss maybe?

27 minutes ago, dmdiver said:

Money, ship card, credit cards, phones - all go in waterproof pouches around our neck.  Camera doesn't fit in the pouch, so if we are swimming, it has to stay in the backpack with our towel & coverup.  I put my stuff where I can see it from the water.  

This is Exactly what DH and I do when we're at the Beach! Can't stress this enough, Be sure to put your belongings in Sight! Some Beach Resorts have lockers that you can rent, and I've done that as well. When DH is taking a break and not in the water then he keeps his eyes on our things. He also carries a Backpack to put our things in, such as Towels, Swim Cover Ups, and extra Tee Shirt for him, Sunscreen, Etc. 

I bought these to use at Half Moon Cay.  I put my cell phone, passport, cash, credit card, and S&S card.  Used them 3 times and never have gotten even a drop of water on them.   They have 3 separate zip-locks and folds over.  I put it around my waist.  My husband put it on his shoulder & it floated away & he had to chase after it.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DDXRVES/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AquaVault is a company that makes a popular portable safe for beach goers. They were featured on Shark Tank some years ago. Their original, hard plastic version is always sold out, but they do have a newer version, called the Flex Safe, that's made of a slash-resistant material. It's not cheap, though, at $70. You can find other models on Amazon if you search for something like "beach chair safe."

4 minutes ago, audcc77 said:

I bought these to use at Half Moon Cay.  I put my cell phone, passport, cash, credit card, and S&S card.  Used them 3 times and never have gotten even a drop of water on them.   They have 3 separate zip-locks and folds over.  I put it around my waist.  My husband put it on his shoulder & it floated away & he had to chase after it. 

We bought ones just like it, but a different brand. They work great. If anything, maybe a little bit of water made it through the very first zip-lock, but that's as far as it got. And that water could've gotten there from opening it with wet hands. I spun mine around to my back when I was snorkeling and found myself feeling for it all the time because it felt like it wasn't even there.

39 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

Credit cards, money, and sea pass are in a baggie stuffed into my swim suit. My waterproof camera is strapped to my wrist. The only things left on shore are hat, sun screen, cover up, and sandals - nothing anybody is interested in stealing.

I don't even bother with the baggie for those items I put in my swimsuit.  They all can get wet, with no issues.  My waterproof camera is always strapped to my wrist (on shore or in the water).  

Edited by Shmoo here

5 hours ago, NLeeB said:

How does everyone keep their items that they take to the beachs safe? 

The KYSS bag is a great choice if your looking for a beach bag type lockable bag.  It has a chain attached that can be locked around beach chair or tree, anything heavy.  We love ours, bought a large one and medium size to hod beach towels, change clothes, suntan lotions, money, ship cards.  The bag is lined with plastic coating to resist water and have two over the shoulder straps and one adjustable carry-all strap.  Search for them and watch the videos and decide if this is what your looking for.  I would highly recommend the product for a worry-free beach day.

18 hours ago, NLeeB said:

How does everyone keep their items that they take to the beachs safe? 

Don't take anything that matters.

Put an ID, some cash, a CC, and your ship card in a small plastic bag and keep it on your person.  Don't take an ereader to the beach take a real book. If you have an expensive camera you already know how to keep it safe, by leaving it on the ship. If you want a camera at the beach buy one you can take in the water. Leave the phone on the ship.

No one wants anything else that you have, so don't worry about towels, clothes, etc.

Edited by zqvol

3 hours ago, zqvol said:

Don't take anything that matters.

Put an ID, some cash, a CC, and your ship card in a small plastic bag and keep it on your person.  Don't take an ereader to the beach take a real book. If you have an expensive camera you already know how to keep it safe, by leaving it on the ship. If you want a camera at the beach buy one you can take in the water. Leave the phone on the ship.

No one wants anything else that you have, so don't worry about towels, clothes, etc.

That's nice in theory, but I don't leave the ship without my epi pens, and I suspect there are others who need to take with them things that "matter" but don't easily fit in a swimsuit.

I've never had them or anything else stolen at the beach and try to keep things in sight, but that isn't always practical (hard to watch the beach when my face is in the water 😉 ).  Epi pens are $300 (with coupon) if you can't get generic (there was a shortage a while back), so worth at least as much as an e-reader.

For those that mention the things that "don't matter," like towels, sun screen, cover up, sandals, etc., you're probably right. A thief isn't interested in those things. But if all those "don't matter" things are in a beach bag sitting on the beach while you're swimming, a thief is going to steal the whole bag in hopes there's something valuable inside. Even though you may not be out valuable items like cash, credit card, or what have you, you still don't want to lose your personal belongings, do you? Clothing that might be in the bag, your sandals, a pair of sunglasses, etc. Any number of things that aren't necessarily monetarily valuable, but you still don't want to lose. Not to mention Carnival's beach towel, if you bring that, which we do because we don't want to pack our own beach towels. I don't want to have to pay the $22 they'll charge me if a thief steals it. So even if you keep the most valuable items on your person, the rest still holds value in a different way. No one wants to have to go buy new stuff because of a thief.

• Like 1

Keep your flip-flops/ shorts/coverup OUT of the "bag".  Leave it on your towel, or lounger.   There will be others on the beach, so you can always say, "I'm taking a dip...do you mind keeping an eye on my stuff for a few mins"?  Most folks don't mind at all.  Don't bring too much cash or things of value.  Cash, credit cards and your ship card CAN get wet...put them in hubby's velcro pocket on his swim trunks!

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

For those that mention the things that "don't matter," like towels, sun screen, cover up, sandals, etc., you're probably right. A thief isn't interested in those things. But if all those "don't matter" things are in a beach bag sitting on the beach while you're swimming, a thief is going to steal the whole bag in hopes there's something valuable inside. Even though you may not be out valuable items like cash, credit card, or what have you, you still don't want to lose your personal belongings, do you? Clothing that might be in the bag, your sandals, a pair of sunglasses, etc. Any number of things that aren't necessarily monetarily valuable, but you still don't want to lose. Not to mention Carnival's beach towel, if you bring that, which we do because we don't want to pack our own beach towels. I don't want to have to pay the $22 they'll charge me if a thief steals it. So even if you keep the most valuable items on your person, the rest still holds value in a different way. No one wants to have to go buy new stuff because of a thief.

Nobody wants to have to go buy new stuff because of a thief. That would be normal for most people in any situation. 

The question is, what is reasonable considering the situation. 

These questions about what should I do with my valuables when at the beach are asked almost every day. I don't know about you but I have been going to the beach for very many years now, and my "stuff" has never been stolen. Considering how people on this site will speak out about any little thing that is an irritant to them, I hardly ever have seen people complain about their "stuff" being stolen. It would seem that more likely than not that it is a rare occasion for someone to have belongings stolen at the beach. That being said, don't bring valuables to the beach and you can't lose anything of value. 

My DH and I usually cruise on Princess; he does have some mobilty issues and is on oxygen so he rarely gets off the ship.  I take excursions on my own and only bring the bare neccesities as mentioned above.  The one thing I do is look around on the beach for others from the ship, noticable by the distinctive blue and white striped towels of Princess.  I try to get a spot in the same area.  At CB at Sea mentioned, most people will keep an eye on your things if you ask.  It's a great way to meet others from your ship.

16 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Nobody wants to have to go buy new stuff because of a thief. That would be normal for most people in any situation. 

The question is, what is reasonable considering the situation. 

These questions about what should I do with my valuables when at the beach are asked almost every day. I don't know about you but I have been going to the beach for very many years now, and my "stuff" has never been stolen. Considering how people on this site will speak out about any little thing that is an irritant to them, I hardly ever have seen people complain about their "stuff" being stolen. It would seem that more likely than not that it is a rare occasion for someone to have belongings stolen at the beach. That being said, don't bring valuables to the beach and you can't lose anything of value. 

I’ve lived an hour from the beach for over 50 years so have been hundreds of times. I don’t bring anything of value except my phone. I’ve never had anything stolen, and I don’t know anyone who has. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but not something I worry about. The only time I’ve had something stolen in a public place was at a playground, taken from my diaper bag.