⭐Live Allure TA 🚢 March 1, 2020 - Time to rub the lamp 🧞

John&LaLa

I haven’t been on CC lately because I caved in under our kuds’ Nagging and cancelled our March 29 cruise. 

Bummer!

three days later Royal cancelled it anyway, and the people still booked get an extra 25% FCC. 

Super Bummer!

now I’m just concentrating on staying alive. 

DH has to go to Publix every other day because his fruit has to be fresh. Never mind that it all came in together on a truck. Fresh Narket has curbside pickup, but no, he has to go to Publix!

John, I’d hate to see y’all lose your water view. I hope the holier than thou neighbors get over their snit, and that we all make it out of this bad time. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

That’s me. I used to fly home, go to bed and go to work the next day after a good night’s sleep. 

I’ve always dreaded to eastbound flights with the long sleepless night. 

Did them anyway, though!

Most people I know agree with this, but I'm just the opposite.  I usually get 3+/- hours of sleep on the plane going eastbound (Business Class helps).  I then try to put in a full day for my first day in Europe and stay awake as long as I can...9:00 or 10:00 at night.  I get a good 8+ hours sleep and feel almost fully adjusted by day 2.  Westbound however, I'll be dragging in the afternoon for at least a week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Most people I know agree with this, but I'm just the opposite.  I usually get 3+/- hours of sleep on the plane going eastbound (Business Class helps).  I then try to put in a full day for my first day in Europe and stay awake as long as I can...9:00 or 10:00 at night.  I get a good 8+ hours sleep and feel almost fully adjusted by day 2.  Westbound however, I'll be dragging in the afternoon for at least a week.

If we stay in Europe a few days post cruise, and that's always a good idea, I may wake up early for a while when we get home, but that's about it

5 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I moved from Naples to Ocala (Stone Creek, adjacent to OTOW) almost three years ago.  I am still trying to make the adjustment from living in a beautiful town on the Gulf to an inland community.  Please look at Ocala very carefully before making such a huge move.  Spend a night in a hotel there so you can experience driving on 200 to get to anywhere you are going, check to see how many stores and restaurants will interest you, and make a trial run to the Publix closest to OTOW (similar to visiting an assisted living facility, once you make it through the parking lot).  Perhaps you would consider renting a home in the neighborhood you are considering for a year while keeping your condo, in order to see what your day-to-day life would be like.

Very familiar with Ocala and the perils of 200.

Laura's parents moved to Oak Run in 1997, and were there until 2018 when they passed. Her 60 year old brother is a resident of Palm Garden. We go up there once a month. 

She has a friend at OTOW.

We looked at Margaritaville last fall, but decided we couldn't buy there and keep the condo. So now we are re evaluating 

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Very familiar with Ocala and the perils of 200.

Laura's parents moved to Oak Run in 1997, and were there until 2018 when they passed. Her 60 year old brother is a resident of Palm Garden. We go up there once a month. 

She has a friend at OTOW.

We looked at Margaritaville last fall, but decided we couldn't buy there and keep the condo. So now we are re evaluating 

I’m glad to hear that you have all the info you need to make a wise decision.  I was concerned about the major change from such a beautiful location and didn’t want to you to make a decision you might regret.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

current snowbirds are way north of 70 age wise. 

How many have departed so far?  My Cousin headed north a few days ago, my Uncle and Aunt on Sunday.  My mom comes home Saturday and I just stocked her home.

2 hours ago, Bradison said:

I wonder if the 17th floor Star Class experience is different given its location.

My hesitancy about the 2BR Aqua Theater rooms is their location at the far end of the ship.  That and the five figure plus price tag.

As a deck 17 Star class dweller, I can attest the service is the same for specialty dining, as well as regular room service.  It is the same for a CLS down to a GS, it all comes at once.

We did a ATS, thanks to hurricane Dorian, and though the price is more economical the walk is a long haul.  

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MalteseMama2 said:

Since 1 procedure is a colonoscopy, he’s not all that disappointed to put it off. 🤣 But he was scheduled to have a skin tag removed from his arm. It has been become annoying because of the location & he was looking forward to that procedure. It’s rescheduled but may also be put on hold. The dr offices here are not seeing anyone unless they have Corvid 19 symptoms. 

Ahh...good to hear it was not serious.  Just can't imagine why he would be happy to put off procedure #1. 😄 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pratique said:

That's the kicker. It gets old pretty quick. Deck 17 is so much more convenient to everything.

I can definitely see how 17 is convenient to CK/SL for a CLS passenger, and I guess breakfast for the STAR cabins. But we only went there a handful of times. 

FWIW, Deck 8 was the place to be for Pinnacles on this trip.

Breakfast in Chops

Lunch in CP150

Happy Hour in Dazzles

But we didn't go there much either🤣🤣

Here is some cool data.

My typical week in a midship cabin on Oasis averages 8000 steps per day. I averaged 10,000 the two weeks on Allure.

I typically gain 5-7 pounds per week on an Oasis ship. I gained 2.5 over the course of this trip

• Like 6

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

How many have departed so far?  My Cousin headed north a few days ago, my Uncle and Aunt on Sunday.  My mom comes home Saturday and I just stocked her home.

Lots leaving tomorrow or Saturday, even the US snowbirds 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

As a deck 17 Star class dweller, I can attest the service is the same for specialty dining, as well as regular room service.  It is the same for a CLS down to a GS, it all comes at once.

We did a ATS, thanks to hurricane Dorian, and though the price is more economical the walk is a long haul.  

A lot of our Canadian friends down here for Winter have gone back early. Generally stay through April???  I think something to do with their healthcare??  Don’t know ??

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

If we stay in Europe a few days post cruise, and that's always a good idea, I may wake up early for a while when we get home, but that's about it

Next time I cruise from Barcelona I'm going to stay in Sitges. Easy to get the train and I'm bored with Barcelona

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bigeck said:

Next time I cruise from Barcelona I'm going to stay in Sitges. Easy to get the train and I'm bored with Barcelona

That is how we discovered Sitges, was so bored with Barcelona . Did you know that we have stayed in Sitges  6 times now ? We had a group staying at same hotel before the Harmony TA and arranged a bus to take 10 of us and luggage to the port .If it is just the two of us we get the train, was there in Jan.

Edited by heatherb1958
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

That is how we discovered Sitges, was so bored with Barcelona . Did you know that we have stayed in Sitges  6 times now ? We had a group staying at same hotel before the Harmony TA and arranged a bus to take 10 of us and luggage to the port .If it is just the two of us we get the train, was there in Jan.

Have to get the name of the hotel. I've booked Jewel from Galveston to Barcelona next March. Might stay on for a few days and head to Sitges

• Like 1

18 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I really didn't want to come across as overly bitchy

I wouldn't worry about that... it's not unreasonable to ask them to do what was agreed to.

I don't think they should offer in room dining at a set time, though, because they always seem to have a hard time pulling it off. Of the two times I cruised Star, everything always delivered early.

I think the only way it works is if you order it and ask that it be delivered as soon as it's ready. Even then, there seem to be problems with the plates, utensils, etc... going to the restaurant was best.

Thanks for the great review!

1 hour ago, bigeck said:

How many days have you spent in Barcelona?  We’ve spent 10 days there over three years and found lots to see and do on foot and using their train/metro system.  The best place we’ve been to was Montserrat (on our own for almost the entire day).  Ironically, it’s outside of Barcelona, but we were staying in Barcelona at the time.  

We haven’t been to Sitges, but it’s on our list.  Also, we’ve thought about flying into Madrid and then taking the train to Barcelona. 

12 minutes ago, atgood said:

How many days have you spent in Barcelona?  We’ve spent 10 days there over three years and found lots to see and do on foot and using their train/metro system.  The best place we’ve been to was Montserrat (on our own for almost the entire day).  Ironically, it’s outside of Barcelona, but we were staying in Barcelona at the time.  

We haven’t been to Sitges, but it’s on our list.  Also, we’ve thought about flying into Madrid and then taking the train to Barcelona. 

I only started cruising in 2011 but had been to Barcelona many times before that on holiday. I was in Barcelona in '92 when the Olympic Games were on as well.

I spent a week before 12 night Serenade cruise in 2013 and 2 or 3 days before and after other cruises.

I actually prefer Malaga to Barcelona.

I have thought about Madrid a few times but never managed it. Seeing Real Madrid is high on my list. 

20 minutes ago, CruiseZog said:

Even then, there seem to be problems with the plates, utensils, etc... going to the restaurant was best.

To me, this is where you know if you have a good Genie or not.  A good Genie will either be there in person or call, shortly after the food is supposed to be delivered and make sure that you have everything you ordered and/or need.  I understand that in John's particular case there were scheduling conflicts that probably precluded that...and that is a unique situation but it is still the Genie's job to make sure that you are getting the experience you expect.  It sounds like (from this and a few other situations that John has described) that the Genie just wasn't up to the task, which is unfortunate.  I recall that John said that Jay never even contacted them that night.  Completely unacceptable....especially considering that he knew that they were entertaining a guest.

I also agree with John that the inside dining table in the ATS (or any of the Star suites, with the possible exception of the RLS) just doesn't accommodate enough people, especially when you take into account all of the food paraphernalia.  For the ATS, the outside dining table is definitely where they anticipate that the big groups will be dining.  The fact that it was not convenient in John's situation is disappointing but unavoidable.

We have been both in the ATS (3 times) and Deck 17 (4 times) and my experiences on 17 have just been better, all the way around.  Just an OBTW, IMO, Reyno is, hands down, the best party planner Genie that I have had.  I have other issues with Reyno, but if I am planning a  Suite party, I want him in charge.