Dear X, please call your new sliders "waygu-style" and not "kobe"

NutsAboutGolf

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Why not just call it a Hamburger?

I've had Kobe before and what Celebrity serves is not even close to Kobe.

Because you only get Hamburgers in the Oceanview Cafe or Mast Grill.  When they use the same meat and make them smaller and serve them in the Craft Social Bar presumably for an extra charge they have to rename them Kobe Beef-Style Sliders.  Does that explain it?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

OP:  If you want to complain to Celebrity then do exactly that; posting here does nothing.

If you are simply trying to make sure others here know that you know it's not really Kobe beef, then keep posting here.  😉

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It's as simple as X is lying.  You can do better, Celebrity

This issue is essentially marketing.  X is "marketing" the sliders as kobe.   We all know or should know that marketing in most contexts and businesses is synonymous with lying. Marketers imply that you're going to get the best possible product no matter how unlikely it actually is.  It's nature is to mislead.  This is basic university Marketing 101. X is doing what every other large corporation does, for purposes of profit.   *Yawn*

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Why not just call it a Hamburger?

I've had Kobe before and what Celebrity serves is not even close to Kobe.

That is what we folks in Tennessee call putting lipstick on a big ole pig! HA

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cruizen Susan said:

This issue is essentially marketing.  X is "marketing" the sliders as kobe.   We all know or should know that marketing in most contexts and businesses is synonymous with lying. Marketers imply that you're going to get the best possible product no matter how unlikely it actually is.  It's nature is to mislead.  This is basic university Marketing 101. X is doing what every other large corporation does, for purposes of profit.   *Yawn*

Maybe in your country - illegal in places like Europe.  Food provenance is important.

Edited by DYKWIA

On 2/29/2020 at 4:55 PM, Bo1953 said:

Here we go again with what to call the sliders or burgers a/k/a kobe or waygu and as in champagne or sparkling wine.... many consumers will not know the difference and even fewer care. Sonoma or Bordeaux?

Yes, it is about the pedigree, I know.

Is it really that important, unless you have an allergy to one or the other?

If you know it is NOT Kobe, so be it and you can broadcast it as such here and on-board.

Yet to make it a big deal as if they were advertizing bison and passing it off for beef, then a very different story.

I accept that you have a sensitive palate so you can taste the difference, to be sure, yet I would go so far to say that unless there was a taste test of various red meats, many would not care or hone in on the difference only that it tasted good. If it did not pass the consumers taste test, different issue.

bon appetit and bon voyage

With all respect, but the name Champagne is a EU protected name and can NOT be used except for real Champagne products.

same goes for Kobe beef . Any professional company needs to respect its products and clients by not misrepresenting their offerings.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruizen Susan said:

That is in fact illegal in any developed country.

6 minutes ago, Despegue said:

With all respect, but the name Champagne is a EU protected name and can NOT be used except for real Champagne products.

same goes for Kobe beef . Any professional company needs to respect its products and clients by not misrepresenting their offerings.

I'm guessing some people here wouldn't have a problem if a company passed off a cheap cheese like Monteraey Jack as Parmesan 

27 minutes ago, Despegue said:

I understand and accept the position, then again I Am not so much of a product name  'protectionist' though....

A good reason to be able to source a product so there can be no doubt if it is the real deal or not regardless of what it is called or referred to, IMO.

cheers and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

49 minutes ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Still *yawn* from the getgo.   I must be very bored this weekend to participate in a topic that does not belong here.

I'm hitting the “unsubscribe “ button. My email inbox is overflowing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Still *yawn* from the getgo.   I must be very bored this weekend to participate in a topic that does not belong here.

https://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/trends-news/article/kobe-wagyu-steak-myths

c - my apologies and I do agree with you....

bon voyage

• Like 1

Did some more researching and go figure, there's already a Craft Social on the Equinox.  On the menu, they're called "Kobe style beef sliders".  I booked the Apex and saw a "new" restaurant is opening in the Apex, didn't realize it was already on the Equinox.

I found another thread where they were discussion their disappointment of the use of Kobe.

089F8F1F-E672-4116-A3E8-80FA793496AD.jpeg.5685d7fc7a0e91c17867f353bea92734.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DYKWIA said:

Maybe in your country - illegal in places like Europe.  Food provenance is important.

Hmmm, not really important in the great scheme of things.  But I do understand your point about the legal aspect.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/29/2020 at 10:55 AM, Bo1953 said:

Here we go again with what to call the sliders or burgers a/k/a kobe or waygu and as in champagne or sparkling wine.... many consumers will not know the difference and even fewer care. Sonoma or Bordeaux?

It is not worth correctly advertising what you are serving if you think your clientele is stupid? 

18 hours ago, BEAV said:

When is "X" gonna roll out the Impossible burger?  And what'll they call it?

No need to, as the current 'Veggie Burger' is vegan and taste good....

22 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

No need to, as the current 'Veggie Burger' is vegan and taste good....

I think all of your friends here would agree with me if we named it the Bo-Burger😀

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I think all of your friends here would agree with me if we named it the Bo-Burger😀

t - LOL.. am I really that notorious, in terms of food, around here????

On 3/1/2020 at 12:25 PM, DYKWIA said:

I'm guessing some people here wouldn't have a problem if a company passed off a cheap cheese like Monteraey Jack as Parmesan 

Do you really mean Parmesan or do you mean Parmagiano Reggiano?  There's a legal difference in use of the two names outside of the EU.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Do you really mean Parmesan or do you mean Parmagiano Reggiano?  There's a legal difference in use of the two names outside of the EU.

Thank you, sometimes there are foodies with more to teach me, than those who generally respond.

Even though I do know the difference, I would not have thought of using it in an example, especially in this case... to be precise and I do appreciate your pointing this out, for sure.

bon appetit and bon voyage!

53 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Thank you, sometimes there are foodies with more to teach me, than those who generally respond.

Even though I do know the difference, I would not have thought of using it in an example, especially in this case... to be precise and I do appreciate your pointing this out, for sure.

bon appetit and bon voyage!

Even when talking about the word "champagne," and how it's "illegal" to call sparkling wine champagne unless it's real French champagne, that so-called illegality doesn't necessarily apply to all producers outside of France/Europe.  It takes some digging through history, but apparently certain US producers of sparkling wine who were already using the term as of 2006 were allowed to continue to do so. 

• Thanks 1