Would you cancel due to Coronavirus?

rascalchu

We cancelled. One member in our group is over 70, and concerned. I have little kids at home (they weren't coming) and I can't take the heightened risk of not being able to get home to them in a week.

Cruise ship are petri dishes for lots of things in general, and though we have never gotten sick, there are too many additional factors in this. And even if we don't get sick or quarantined, it seems selfish to potentially spread this around our cities and workplaces, until we understand more about how it spreads and affects people.

• Like 3

On 3/5/2020 at 8:34 AM, Heytoots said:

I have a cruise out of NYC on the NCL GEM tomorrow, seriously considering not going.  

we are booked on the gem for the 16th of march.  we have not cancelled but we are waiting until the last minute to cancel. just wondering how you are doing this week? any problems on or off the Gem?

State department makes it official.  Much of the focus is on potential repatriation problems but this is going to really clobber demand.  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html?fbclid=IwAR23mRlu4-382HLuSM8i0KWQBSaZ4heDniggmxR3kBR6e2EgWiKr6B0EseM

• Like 1

They just absolved themselves ...after reading that I am 100% sure of canceling cruise in 2 weeks.  Scary situation with the quarantine possibilities.

24 minutes ago, Regguy said:

State department makes it official.  Much of the focus is on potential repatriation problems but this is going to really clobber demand.  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html?fbclid=IwAR23mRlu4-382HLuSM8i0KWQBSaZ4heDniggmxR3kBR6e2EgWiKr6B0EseM

Yes I plan to canceled my Palm Sunday 4/5/2020 cruise 😥.  Was cruising with my adult daughter but she refused to risk being quarantined on a ship for who knows how long!!!  I took out standard travel protection with NCL because I have an 95 year old mother & hope if something happens with her (preventing me from cruising) I wouldn’t lose all my payments.  I have a Haven Forward Facing Suite which soon will become available on the Bliss.

My husband wants to cancel.  I want to go really bad, but reality is hitting.  This cruise was to celebrate our 50th anniversary and we have been planning it for a year.  We are booked on the May 1 out of Rome.  I am afraid we may not have a choice soon except to cancel.  Even the Sistine Chapel has closed until April 3.  I am afraid that if we chose to go, we will take the chance that none of the ports will want cruise passengers to get off the ship.  I feel awful for the travel industry.  I’m just really bummed ☹️ 

3 minutes ago, Cruise4life44 said:

My husband wants to cancel.  I want to go really bad, but reality is hitting.  This cruise was to celebrate our 50th anniversary and we have been planning it for a year.  We are booked on the May 1 out of Rome.  I am afraid we may not have a choice soon except to cancel.  Even the Sistine Chapel has closed until April 3.  I am afraid that if we chose to go, we will take the chance that none of the ports will want cruise passengers to get off the ship.  I feel awful for the travel industry.  I’m just really bummed ☹️ 

WOW !! Cruising from Rome? Cancel immediately .. You are flying into the eye of a storm right there..

• Like 1

Well I guess we have decided to postpone our cruise. I'm really sad about it but we could not take a chance on being quarantined. You guys stay safe out there and if you decide to cruise just know that I wish you the very best of luck and hope you guys have a perfect vacation.😎🍹🍹

My cruise is not till November 30th...so I have time  (as final payment not due till August 2). If this virus follows other patterns, it surely has the ability to flare up again in the fall.  I will have to make an informed decision  this summer. .  BUT--as a senior with some medical problems , my odds of canceling are high.  

We canceled our Celebrity cruise out of NYC on July 12.  Just too many unknowns at this point and I wanted to cancel before final payment so that we got a cash refund and not a FCC.  

To be honest, I was half thinking of canceling anyway due to the stupid pricing games Celebrity plays these days.  Refundable deposit, non-refundable deposit, four perks, two perks, three perks.  They make it impossible to watch pricing and look for the lowest price possible.  Very frustrating.

We also pushed our April 5 trip to Disney World back to mid-November.  April trip was mainly for the flower & garden show at Epcot.  Mid-November was chosen because it'll be the food & wine show at Epcot.  The food booths at each show are a lot of fun.  Temperatures in mid-November are typically 65 to 75 degrees, so it'll still be nice.

We booked our October cruise when there was a $50 deposit special.  It will probably be ok to cruise by then, but I don't feel comfortable giving them full payment 4 months in advance, so we'll probably cancel and pick a cruise when we get much closer to sail date.

We'll see if when we cancel we get our deposit back on our credit card or applied to future cruise.  I'm just glad it's a small enough amount that I don't care.    We don't have to cancel for a few months and the policy could change several times between now and then. 

My son and I are booked on a cruise for next week, he is 11 and I am 53 with no underlying health issues, we plan to go, I considered canceling but I spoke with work, I can take my laptop and work if I am quarantined, he can do schoolwork on his computer. I am not worried. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/douggollan/2020/03/09/fauci-says-cruising-is-ok-if-you-are-healthy/#188b4ebe2d4d

Edited by Patrick B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We will cancel our 3/29 Encore sailing. There is too much that is unknown about this virus. We’re super healthy but what if we’re infected and start spreading it around even if we’re asymptomatic? Also, being quarantined is a huge concern. We’d rather be safe than sorry and sail when we can have true peace of mind.

• Like 1

For us it is the fear of being quarantined in some remote military base. We are driving to our cruise, and can drive home for a 14 day isolation period if needed and we do not even have to stop for gas or food. We are stocked at home to get by for 14 days, but they would not offer this as a solution based on what I understand.

• Like 1

Absolutely cancelled our cruise that would leave 3/22 from Miami.  Will be cancelling river cruise in France; we are due to leave 5/19.  Common sense.  Evaluating $$ for second one right now.  We got a voucher for the March Cruise and Uniworld has a good  cancellation program presently.  Just deciding if cash or rebook better.  We may lose some $ but better than landing in quarantine - ICU - dead.  What fun would that be.  All of the guidance from the experts should be taken seriously.  I am not teflon.

• Like 3

We are on the Gem to Bermuda from Boston in May, and are sitting tight for now.  We made our final payment months ago, but we are expecting we will have to cancel while hoping things will tun around.  We figure we have a least a month before we have to make our decision.   

The State Dept. recommendation not to cruise seems here to stay for a while.  As most know here in Boston at a conference, 70 people out of 200 from around the world were infected in two days, and went home most unknowingly spreading it.  

We are retired and just staying home as much as possible.  

• Like 2

This is off topic but I choose the beverage package as one of my "free at sea" choices, prepaying my gratuities that goes along with it, and finding out now that there is an open bar for the cruise. Is anyone else having this issue? I am going to call and see if there is a way for me to change one of my "free at sea" choices. 

2 hours ago, JCMass. said:

We are on the Gem to Bermuda from Boston in May, and are sitting tight for now.  We made our final payment months ago, but we are expecting we will have to cancel while hoping things will tun around.  We figure we have a least a month before we have to make our decision.   

The State Dept. recommendation not to cruise seems here to stay for a while.  As most know here in Boston at a conference, 70 people out of 200 from around the world were infected in two days, and went home most unknowingly spreading it.  

We are retired and just staying home as much as possible.  

We are booked on the May 8th Gem Bermuda. Just got my PP gratuities and Bev Pckg upgrade refunded to card. Haven’t cancelled yet, but losing hope. According to CDC , my husband and I should not cruise. I wonder if the governor and mayor will allow cruise ships into Boston? Seems crazy to have all the passengers and crew mingling at cruise port and into the city during outbreak. Hoping NCL has to cancel so we can get refund, not FCC. Holding on until a few days before.

Brian

We cancelled our cruise at the end of March to the Caribbean. My parents are coming, and they're 79. Our grandsons, who are 1 and 2. I realize that the virus doesn't seem to be impacting children, but who's to say it won't. And in the case of a quarantine, could you imagine being stuck in a small room with toddlers? We are looking at cruises in the future.

• Like 1

22 year old passenger on recent MSC cruise dies in Miami hospital.  He had underlying conditions, death ruled COVI-19.   News comes from inside source. Maybe in the news later today.  The Meraviglia was recently turned away at two ports, returned to Port of Miami last week and given a clean bill of health. Could this be the ship he was on?