“Live From the Explorer” or Z and TB Mambo in the Caribbean

Zqueeze1

16 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Aside from crying??   It is terrible to see the ship sitting there and not be sailing tomorrow.

We are flying to Toronto tomorrow, then to Zürich on Sunday evening.   I will be so happy to be home.

Gerry

Hello, sorry for your cruise cancellation, have a safe flight and welcome home in Switzerland

Good Morning:

TB and I are back home now with stuff unpacked and settled in. We are anxiously waiting to see how this madness will pan out and staying informed via the news and reading up on it via the internet. 
In light of these events, I would rather minimize any summation and final thoughts of our recent trip. We had a wonderful time, had indescribable meals, received excellent service, and met many new and great friends. The only negatives were slight and mostly focused on a few rude passengers. 
We wish everyone gets through this mess in good health and stays in high spirits. 
The Boss wants to help out those businesses that are being impacted and cleared me in hot to order some items online. In the interest of helping out the Italian economy, I am ordering wine and olive oil from Italian vendors.  I love that woman. 
4EA66A68-0D9E-4FDC-9B20-D34A22451986.jpeg.f9a0231a65a3d415072731e67b2b27fa.jpeg

Thanks to all that followed us on this great cruise and for all the kind comments. We really love sharing our adventures with our fellow CCers. 
Here is a preview of our upcoming cruise in  Nov 2020 on the Splendor:

BC876878-4515-413D-863E-8124F4E00458.jpeg.97496ea1a5f2103d6c144fc9c06a5676.jpeg

“After looking at my wife’s luggage, I realized we would need two men and a fork lift. My next thought was, ‘we’re going to need a bigger boat.’ “

Z and TB

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Good Morning:

TB and I are back home now with stuff unpacked and settled in. We are anxiously waiting to see how this madness will pan out and staying informed via the news and reading up on it via the internet. 
In light of these events, I would rather minimize any summation and final thoughts of our recent trip. We had a wonderful time, had indescribable meals, received excellent service, and met many new and great friends. The only negatives were slight and mostly focused on a few rude passengers. 
We wish everyone gets through this mess in good health and stays in high spirits. 
The Boss wants to help out those businesses that are being impacted and cleared me in hot to order some items online. In the interest of helping out the Italian economy, I am ordering wine and olive oil from Italian vendors.  I love that woman. 

Thanks to all that followed us on this great cruise and for all the kind comments. We really love sharing our adventures with our fellow CCers. 

“After looking at my wife’s luggage, I realized we would need two men and a fork lift. My next thought was, ‘we’re going to need a bigger boat.’ “

Z and TB

Thanks for this really uplifting photo and comments. It’s a tonic to make us smile just like your daily updates and photos.

It was good to be able to Sail along with your blog and also the excellent Splendour thread too, as for most of us at this present time it’s the closest thing we are going to manage as our cruises in the very near future are cancelled.

Thanks for keeping us all involved .  Jean. 

On 3/13/2020 at 7:25 PM, Hambagahle said:

Aside from crying??   It is terrible to see the ship sitting there and not be sailing tomorrow.

We are flying to Toronto tomorrow, then to Zürich on Sunday evening.   I will be so happy to be home.

Gerry

Update - now in Toronto waiting for our flight this afternoon to Zürich.  Next test will be getting on the train to go home.  The Federal Council apparently doesn't want "seniors" using public transport and I will be in no shape to drive after a long overnight flight...  Hopefully we look younger than we are!!

Gerry

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Update - now in Toronto waiting for our flight this afternoon to Zürich.  Next test will be getting on the train to go home.  The Federal Council apparently doesn't want "seniors" using public transport and I will be in no shape to drive after a long overnight flight...  Hopefully we look younger than we are!!

Gerry

I am sure you do look much younger than your years. It’s been a long sad journey home for you both with the long flight now to Zurich. I really felt for you on Friday evening, and all of the others intransit to meet the lovely splendour.

Take care on the next part of your journey and stay safe. Jean.

36 minutes ago, liptastic said:

I am sure you do look much younger than your years. It’s been a long sad journey home for you both with the long flight now to Zurich. I really felt for you on Friday evening, and all of the others intransit to meet the lovely splendour.

Take care on the next part of your journey and stay safe. Jean.

That is more than kind Jean!!   Flight tonight should be OK.  Toronto to ZRH isn't all that long compared to the 12 hour day flight we had ZRH/SFO last week on our way to our "cruise".    With luck we might be home by around 1100 tomorrow.  Land at ZRH at 0615.

Gerry

3 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Good Morning:

Z and TB

Boy were we lucky. I think we were on the last Caribbean cruise and it was fabulous.

My heart goes out to the crew.

What a difference 2 weeks makes....we returned to chaos. All stores are being inundated by scared people & most shelves empty.

Schools are closed.

The government has commandered our fairgrounds for ‘emergency’ services.

I have a friend who owns a gym. She received a notice from the county yesterday that she had to close down TODAY !

What next?

Suppose to meet some friends for lunch next week but I am not sure there will be any open.

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

That is more than kind Jean!!   Flight tonight should be OK.  Toronto to ZRH isn't all that long compared to the 12 hour day flight we had ZRH/SFO last week on our way to our "cruise".    With luck we might be home by around 1100 tomorrow.  Land at ZRH at 0615.

Gerry

Please let us know when you arrive home. We have been so concerned about both of you. 🙏

sheila and Herb

Hammie:  get home safe and start getting ready to do this cruise again. We need your upbeat attitude to make us all chill out a little. We also felt real sad for you and all the other folks who missed out on their cruises, not to mention the nightmare of getting back home. Stay safe and keep us posted. 
Z and TB

43 minutes ago, Shippy said:

Boy were we lucky. I think we were on the last Caribbean cruise and it was fabulous....

Amen to that. We may have dodged a bullet.  Real sorry we never met onboard. 
I am supposed to attend a reunion in Macon, Georgia in two weeks and now Uncle Sam has cancelled all non-local personal travel, so I need to join the many trying to get an airline refund. Can’t wait to be placed on permanent hold by AA. 
Z and TB

3 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

I am supposed to attend a reunion in Macon, Georgia in two weeks and now Uncle Sam has cancelled all non-local personal travel, so I need to join the many trying to get an airline refund. Can’t wait to be placed on permanent hold by AA. 
Z and TB

Dennis has been going through the airline nightmare for 2 days.  When we fly within the U.S., we book with Chase miles.  Chase uses Expedia.  He was on the phone for 10 hours (and was cut off multiple times).  Finally, yesterday at 6:00 a.m., he was able to leave a message.  The response from the "robot" was that he would get a call in 11 HOURS!  Okay - so he got the call - only 11 hours and 15 minutes later.  He stayed on with a very nice gentleman for an hour (the man needed to contact another department and it was proving impossible).  Finally, the connection got bad - Dennis could hear him but he couldn't hear Dennis.  Before hanging up, the man said that he would call back.  So, here we are on day 3 and still have not accomplished anything.

On a more promising note, we will try to book a short (9 night) cruise on Splendor for May.  Not sure if Regent ships will be sailing or not but we want to book something to hold us over until our November cruise.

We are pretty much self-quarantining - I just went out when a store opened this morning to pick up some wine..... I suspect that it will be good to have some extra in the house and this is one item that people here do not seem to be hoarding.

Stay safe!

15 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Z and TB

You can do it online.  Go to

https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

You still might have to wait to get in because everyone else is there now too.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Z and TB

Are you with DoD?  Haven't seen anything yet about cancellation of all non-local personal travel other than DoD.

3 hours ago, SusieQft said:

You can do it online.  Go to

https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

You still might have to wait to get in because everyone else is there now too.

Thanks for that link.  Unfortunately we booked our Air Canada and United flights through Expedia and we need to cancel through them.  Their website was functioning for the last couple of days.  Will keep trying.

7 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Gerry

Gerry, my very best to you for a safe journey home. I look forward to meeting you on board someday soon to return your gracious toast to me.

4 hours ago, Portolan said:

Are you with DoD?  Haven't seen anything yet about cancellation of all non-local personal travel other than DoD.

I work as a Program Manger for a private company supporting HQ Southern Command. We follow DoD’s policies since we are embedded with them.  Our daughter works for the Department of Justice and has yet to see policy or guidance from them. 
Z and TB

Met Renaldo, if you can believe it at the pool bar, great guy.  Cruise was good food was excellent.  Service was generally efficient with a few staff new to Regent.  When we got to United at MIA, after a walk that reminded me of Heathrow, we found out our tickets had been refunded.  United was no help told us to call our agent.  Thankfully we have an excellent one that got us rebooked in about 20 long minutes.  Maybe you can save a bit doing your own air but we were glad we used Regent air.  Will never forget that we were on the last successfully completed Regent cruise of the Corona virus era.

Thank you all for your good wishes - and yes, we re home!   Air Canada got us from San Diego to Toronto and then to Zürich next day.  Landed this morning (wonderful sunrise from the plane) at 0610 and then took the train home.  Walked into the apartment at 1050.  Trains were pretty deserted.  The Federal Council has asked "elderly people" - us! - not to use public transport and commuters are driving.  From Bern to Visp (1 hour) we were the only people in the carriage.

Now our canton (Valais) has gone on partial lockdown.  As of 1830 tonight all restaurants, shops (aside from supermarkets and pharmacies) and other things like hairdressers etc) are to close until the epidemic is over.  Banks will stay open.  So will the post office.  Gas stations as well.   No gatherings of more than 50 people allowed.   But the great news is - we are allowed to walk our dog!!

It would be lovely to meet you all one day.  Right now though I am so traumatised by this experience that cruising seems a long way off in my future!!  Maybe I shall have to stick to the alps.

Take care all -stay safe!!  And well!!

Gerry

• Like 5

Hammie!!!  Good to hear that you made it home safely. You had a whole cheering section rooting for you guys‘ safe return. Forget about this madness and start looking at cruises. Recommend Splendor on 28 Nov 20 and I’ll teach yous how to drink Colombian tequila shots. 
Z and TB

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Z,

I have spent the last couple of hours LMAO at your account of your cruise.  You are a truly talented writer and have a great sense of humor.  I have been reading CC Regent Forum for the last 2 or 3 days trying to find something that would help me decide if we wanted to try Regent.  My decision - if you are on the cruise we book - Hell Yes!  My husband and I are both retired military (Me Navy - Him Air Force - I know - a mixed marriage - but we have survived over 31 years!)  Based on some of your terminology and duty stations my guess is you are Air Force....  Thank you so much for making all of the time I've been researching WELL Worth it - just to read your account!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 7:16 PM, hqarangrsl said:

Z,

I have spent the last couple of hours LMAO at your account of your cruise.  You are a truly talented writer and have a great sense of humor.  I have been reading CC Regent Forum for the last 2 or 3 days trying to find something that would help me decide if we wanted to try Regent.  My decision - if you are on the cruise we book - Hell Yes!  My husband and I are both retired military (Me Navy - Him Air Force - I know - a mixed marriage - but we have survived over 31 years!)  Based on some of your terminology and duty stations my guess is you are Air Force....  Thank you so much for making all of the time I've been researching WELL Worth it - just to read your account!

Not Z but couldn’t not chime in...I’m 20 year retired USAF, my father-in-law and daughter are USN, brother, cousin, and a few uncles were USA, brother-in-law is USMC, and there’s probably a Coastie or two in there somewhere.  Needless to say, family reunions are interesting.

FWIW, there was a veteran’s lunch on my last cruise and I almost didn’t attend as I just assumed it would be some old field-grade or higher officers reliving the glory days - man, was I wrong!!  Met some great people who made the rest of the cruise a blast.

My wife and I started cruising on Regent in 2009 when we were 40 and 48, respectively, and we’ve always found fun and interesting people to hang with.

Having said all of that, I still need to find a way to cruise with Z and TB.