Any recent cruisers notice less people due to virus?

We are on Harmony in 2 weeks with a large group. Almost all are considering canceling due to this virus scare. When you read these boards or call RCCL, they make it seem like nobody’s canceling. I find that hard to believe. Does anyone have recent experience that can comment on the numbers that may no be showing up? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, tomatosauce said:

The Ovation on Saturday only had 4,500 passengers board which is a few hundred down on normal.

Double occupancy full capacity for Ovation is 4180.

Full capacity, all berths, is 4905.

Even when all cabins are booked, they just never hit full capacity, with many pairs in cabins that hold 3 or 4, and lots of solo cruisers.

4500 sounds pretty full to me.

• Like 2

The Princess ship being quarantined gave everyone a scare thinking this virus has something to do with cruise ships. It doesn't. You'll be on a ship with (pick a number) 6,000 people, passengers and crew. That's 6,000 people out of how many world wide? I'll take my chances.

• Like 2

Our Adventure cruise wasn't quite booked to capacity last week, but there were sure plenty of people on the ship. The hand-washing and sanitizing before entering the Windjammer appeared to be total cooperation, from what I could see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, springfire said:

Future bookings are down!   Many cruisers are not booking future cruises until everyone gets a handle on this situation.  

And you know this how?

I saw plenty of people doing bookings last week. 

50 minutes ago, springfire said:

Future bookings are down!   Many cruisers are not booking future cruises until everyone gets a handle on this situation.  

On my third consecutive cruise and each time I've passed Next Cruise it has been packed!

No - came off Rhapsody Saturday, the ship was full. Have a cruise in a few weeks on Harmony, and it is sold out. 

Of course no one will know what the future will bring. 

We were a little more cautious on this cruise. We wash your hands often, use Sanitizer etc. I used a hand wipe after touching the menus and the buffet tongs. Quite frankly,  I’m surprised that they are still allowing folks to take their own buffet items. 

Last week  on rhapsody,  a woman sat next to me at a slot machine with either a bad head cold or flu like symptoms. I just got up immediately.

m

just off 9 nights on Explorer yesterday.  It was full and next cruise office was hopping the whole time.  I did notice much more focused handwashing when I was in the public bathrooms.  And crew was constantly sanitizing hand rails.  Washy washy folks were in front of WJ and dining rooms every single time the doors opened.  

In the airport on the way home, noticed a lot of masks, and lots of hand sanitizing.  This might actually be a pretty good time to travel, if people are being more careful than during a normal flu season.

1 hour ago, springfire said:

Source?

When checking cruise prices, they seem to be the same or going up like usual. Typically, if bookings are down, price goes down. Anecdotal yes, but it seems to be a good indicator to me.

T

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeachChik said:

And you know this how?

36 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

Source?

When checking cruise prices, they seem to be the same or going up like usual. Typically, if bookings are down, price goes down. Anecdotal yes, but it seems to be a good indicator to me.

T

I can tell you for a fact that future cruise bookings are down.  Ask any large travel agency.  Are they down short term..no, are the ships still sailing full in the Caribbean...yes however this has definitely impacted future bookings.

NCL for one has already come out and stated that they will not lower pricing because of this and I expect Royal to do the same.  There are already a lot more rates available to travel agents at discounted rates than there usually are.  Royals not about to drop prices drastically across the board very far into the future at this point.  If this continues another 6 months it could very well be a different story

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BeachChik said:

And you know this how?

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. RCL continues to suffer due to the coronavirus outbreak in China. Travel warnings and cruise cancellations are starting to take a toll on the company. In fact, the outbreak has compelled management to further trim 2020 guidance. In the past month, the company’s shares have fallen 23.4%, compared with the industry’s decline of 8.7%.

The company announced that it has put travel restriction on those who have travelled from, to or through mainland China or Hong Kong in the past 15 days. The coronavirus outbreak has persuaded the company to cancel 30 cruises in Southeast Asia. The company has also modified several itineraries.

The company now expects earnings to be down by 90 cents due to the cancellation of cruises. Notably, it had previously projected 2020 earnings to be impacted by 65 cents. The company further added that if it has to cancel remaining cruise sailings in Asia through the end of April, it would hurt earnings by another 30 cents.

aa0895effaf8b7d8036b723ec66ba4ca

China remains of utmost importance to the Royal Caribbean brand. According to 2020 Cruise Industry News Annual Report, China constitutes 7.6% of the global cruise industry. Notably, the outbreak of the COVID-19 virus resulted in the cancellation of a number of voyages in other parts of Asia.

While cruise business from China and Asia fell significantly, bookings for the broader business outside Asia has also softened recently thanks to travel restrictions to contain the spread of the contagion.

• Like 1