Ship going to another port, instead of what was planned

Luv2cruz1000

Just now, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Be informed. Hand sanitizer is just fine. But washing your hands is far better. Wahshing your hands properly kills more germs that the hand sanitizer does. Most ships now have hand sanitizes just abut everywhere. Carnival might be the exception.

Our last two Carnival cruises (Breeze and Magic) there were lots of hand sanitizer stations all over the ship. Maybe some of them get broken or moved. We always wash hands before eating and carry our own hand sanitizer with us.

1 minute ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Our last two Carnival cruises (Breeze and Magic) there were lots of hand sanitizer stations all over the ship. Maybe some of them get broken or moved. We always wash hands before eating and carry our own hand sanitizer with us.

So happy to hear that. Thanks for the info.

Just now, glrounds said:

Princess REQUIRES you to use the hand sanitizer before entering the buffet.

On the Celebrity EDGE and other ships. You are sent to several sinks to wash your hand before entering the buffet. Other ships hand sanitizer on you hands. You can just walk past them though. Why people do that is beyond me.

Show me anywhere, and I mean anywhere a cruise ship is sailing that does temp checks.....way over the top.

You are welcome to looks through this list. There are cruise lines that are doing this. I would imagine they are smaller lines. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/4890327002

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cindyanne said:

That would be great if you could find a hand sanitizer when you got off the elevator and if you could find a hand sanitizer when you entered the Lido area.   They are non existent 

I have seen them at entrance to lido and mdr of every ship.  I will not go down a rabbit hole on this pm hand sanitizers in general, but my point and post were in regards to Guys.

1 hour ago, hawkeye93 said:

You are welcome to looks through this list. There are cruise lines that are doing this. I would imagine they are smaller lines. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/4890327002

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only major one is MSC, surprising.  Thanks for the link.  

5 hours ago, cindyanne said:

I am currently on the Magic and have to say I am disappointed in Carnival.  There does not appear to be any increased precautions in place.   The pre screening is simply handing over a questionnaire where you say you are fine.   On board there is few if nit fewer than usual hand sanitizer stations.   None for Guys none for the Blue Iguana.   Only some before the buffet line.  
Gloves worn by some food handlers but not by others.  
NCL is adamant about this.  Sanitizer everywhere including the elevators.  Persons stationed at entrances to eating areas insisting “washy washy”.   

See posts 44 and 54 for another viewpoint.  

You can spin this any way you like.   I Am on the Magic TODAY.   My comment is that i see  less than usual.  I am curious if you just like to debate?   I guess comments are only welcome if they are praising and complimenting Carnival.  BTW i am Diamond on Carnival so mot a new cruiser with them. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Brittanynichole said:

One of the stops is the Dominican Republic who just apparently confirmed its first case. 

The Dominican Republic denied the British Fred Olson ship "Braemar" from docking at the end of their 14 day cruise because of illness onboard, and they had to scramble to find a port that would accept them  (BTW on ship tracking it looks like they ended up going to St Maarten).

I can imagine all the people waiting in the DR who were supposed to be on the next cruise are unhappy too:

http://www.startribune.com/virus-fears-keep-hundreds-of-cruise-passengers-at-sea/568346372/?refresh=true

5 minutes ago, cindyanne said:

You can spin this any way you like.   I Am on the Magic TODAY.   My comment is that i see  less than usual.  I am curious if you just like to debate?   I guess comments are only welcome if they are praising and complimenting Carnival.  BTW i am Diamond on Carnival so mot a new cruiser with them. 

I am not spinning anything.  You obviously think Carnival has dropped the ball, I will be on the ship in two weeks (Diamond here as well and not a new cruiser, not sure either of our sailing history is Germaine, but glad we got that cleared up).  Did I say anything at  all that your view was invalid?  I offered up my experiences, and was trying to understand yours.   Is it ok to ask on your view of hand sanitizers at Guys?  In a time of extreme focus of the industry on this topic, why in heavens name would a cruise cut back on events that at the very least are symbolic of putting customer fears to rest and possibly more so?  Makes zero sense.  Enjoy your cruise, relax. 

11 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

The Dominican Republic denied the British Fred Olson ship "Braemar" from docking at the end of their 14 day cruise because of illness onboard, and they had to scramble to find a port that would accept them  (BTW on ship tracking it looks like they ended up going to St Maarten).

I can imagine all the people waiting in the DR who were supposed to be on the next cruise are unhappy too:

http://www.startribune.com/virus-fears-keep-hundreds-of-cruise-passengers-at-sea/568346372/?refresh=true

Pretty sure there’s a suspected case there now too (St Maarten)

• Like 1

I just saw that the Dominican Republic now has their 1st case of the coronavirus from an Italian tourist. I wonder if they will now not let any cruise ships there due to possibly letting more tourists with the virus in. I don’t think this person came from a cruise ship, but they might now tighten up letting tourists in from the ships.

Just now, gcbranscome said:

I just saw that the Dominican Republic now has their 1st case of the coronavirus from an Italian tourist. I wonder if they will now not let any cruise ships there due to possibly letting more tourists with the virus in. I don’t think this person came from a cruise ship, but they might now tighten up letting tourists in from the ships.

They might but seems pretty drastic. But seems like a lot of decisions are being made based on emotion rather than evaluating risk, so it’s possible. 

On 2/28/2020 at 7:00 AM, Aplmac said:

Thank you for posting this! I found it comforting to see the amount of people recovering. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, cindyanne said:

I might be confusing the Magic with the Breeze, but isn't there a handwashing station at the start of where the outside line would be for Guy's and also by the beverage center across from Blue Iguana?  I am pretty sure there is at least one in that area.  I know on my Breeze cruise there was a hand washing machine and hand sanitizer at the Blue Iguana.

3 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Unfortunately, the missed port coverage would likely not cover missing a port due to the coronavirus. They do, however, pay if the port is missed due to a weather event, which is why you were covered for the hurricane. Most of the coverage certificates for missed ports coverage state the following:

Missed Port Of Call must be caused by or result from:

a. natural disaster;

b. adverse weather;

c. hijacking;

d. unannounced strike;

e. a civil disorder;

f. mechanical breakdown;

g. a Terrorist Act.

Our insurance (through Nationwide) does cover reimbursement for pre-paid nonrefundable excursions if the ship misses a port, but does not pay simply for missing the port.

Thanks for clarifying this. There is always so much misinformation about travel insurance.

42 minutes ago, Brittanynichole said:

Pretty sure there’s a suspected case there now too (St Maarten)

Ugh you're right - unfortunately 😔

According to the AFP, on Friday, the parents of the person from St. Barthélemy were leaving for Paris from Juliana international airport (located on the Dutch side of Saint Martin) when they were handed over to the French authorities because they presented symptoms of the coronavirus.

The laboratory in Guadeloupe confirmed that they were positive.

The couple had come to visit their son, who lives in Saint-Barthélemy.

The AFP is also reporting that there two other possible cases of the virus in Saint-Martin.

Samples are presently being processed.

https://www.antiguaobserver.com/breaking-news-three-cases-of-coronavirus-confirmed-in-st-barthelemy-saint-martin/

https://www.antiguaobserver.com/st-maarten-french-couple-taken-off-airport-after-being-flagged-as-suspected-coronavirus-cases/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

It seems like it will be difficult for the islands to keep it from spreading.  It may just end up having to run its course.  This might make people who are elderly or have health issues rethink going to these places any time soon.

Edited by TNcruising02

Just now, bury me at sea said:

I think spreading is inevitable and agree it will have to run its course.

I also think it will do the same here in my small town.

Definitely.  Sooner or later they will at least have a vaccine for it, which some people will want and others won't.  Not everybody gets the flu vaccine, even with all of the annual deaths from the flu.  I am no more concerned about this virus than I am about the flu.  The majority of people will have only mild symptoms.  It looks like children are actually at a lower risk of complications if they get this virus than the flu.  The flu can kill them and it looks like this virus is mostly harmful to elderly people with existing health problems. 

A lot of this discussion has been about ports denying ships. But what about the reverse? Cruise lines deciding to change itineraries unless there are no confirmed cases of Coronavirus on an island?

It’s interesting that for all the focus on cruises, the first cases in the Caribbean aren’t from cruises.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Definitely.  Sooner or later they will at least have a vaccine for it, which some people will want and others won't.  Not everybody gets the flu vaccine, even with all of the annual deaths from the flu.  I am no more concerned about this virus than I am about the flu.  The majority of people will have only mild symptoms.  It looks like children are actually at a lower risk of complications if they get this virus than the flu.  The flu can kill them and it looks like this virus is mostly harmful to elderly people with existing health problems. 

Well since I didn't get my post deleted soon enough I'd like to add to it.

I absolutely understand the fear of being quarantined.  I am in no way making light of those who are faced with hard choices.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 3:35 PM, Organized Chaos said:

The MSC Meraviglia was blocked by Jamaica and the Cayman Islands this week because of a crew member displaying flu-like symptoms and what the ports claimed to be a travel history to a "country of interest relating to the COVID-19." MSC stated that his travel history didn't include any such countries and that he tested negative for Corona. He had Influenza A, I believe they said it was. However, Cozumel did let them port and debark. And now today, a ship with Fred Olsen Cruise Lines was denied by the Dominican Republic because a few people onboard displayed flu-like symptoms, but none have been confirmed to carry the Coronavirus.

We'll be departing for a southern itinerary next week and I'm not worried. For the most part, the Caribbean isn't much of a concern in regards to cancelled ports as of right now. My wife said a few of her coworkers have come in sick. No reason to believe it's anything other than colds or flu, but she's not happy they decided to come in sick, coughing & sneezing all over the place, when we're days away from our cruise.

Are you on the Horizon out of Miami on Saturday?  If so, we are too!  Packing some extra hand sanitizer and expecting a great time!

4 hours ago, Grammieto3 said:

Are you on the Horizon out of Miami on Saturday?  If so, we are too!  Packing some extra hand sanitizer and expecting a great time!

We sure are. 🙂 Won't be long now. We're going to have a Super Full Moon on the 9th and we'll be at sea on Friday the 13th. It ought to be interesting. LOL

• Like 2