Temporary Cancellation Policy Announced

idahospud

15 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

Princess has pushed up the final payment date for June cruises to 60 days prior to cruise date, which is sometime in April based on the date of your cruise. So you are before final payment date. So if you cancel in March (and before your new final payment date, count back 60 days) you will get back all money you have paid. We had a June cruise and I just did this for myself and family members. 

Although the final payment date has been moved, the Passage Contract says that from 57-89 days the deposit amount is the cancellation fee. So within that period the cancellation fee would be refunded as future cruise credit with the temporary policy. (unless they have changed the passage contract)

We called princess yesterday to inquire about our May 16th cruise on CB. If we cancel by March 21 we will receive a full refund back to our credit card minus the original deposit amount of $200 which will be given as a FCC. That is what we will do. We decided last night that we will cancel and plan a different vacation. We will probably end up going to an all inclusive resort somewhere in the Caribbean. Im extremely upset about the thought of canceling our cruise but we just can not take a chance of being quarantined on the ship for 2 weeks after our cruise.  
we will use our FCC and book a cruise for a later date.   I only hope we can get some of the perks they gave us for this cruise.  

• Like 1

We are scheduled on the Royal on April 18th.  Trying to decide what to do.  We did purchase the Princess travel insurance, platinum I think.  I'm likely to cancel, but wondering if Princess will cancel for me. 

Anyone have any insight as to what is going to happen with April cruises out of US ports?  Are they going to be cancelled by the cruise line?  If they cancel before you do, is there additional benefits provided?

42 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

We are scheduled on the Royal on April 18th.  Trying to decide what to do.  We did purchase the Princess travel insurance, platinum I think.  I'm likely to cancel, but wondering if Princess will cancel for me. 

Anyone have any insight as to what is going to happen with April cruises out of US ports?  Are they going to be cancelled by the cruise line?  If they cancel before you do, is there additional benefits provided?

I would think that if Princess cancels the cruise, they have to give you back your money - not just FCC.  We are hoping that our April 11th cruise is cancelled, because we do not want to be "financial prisoners" of Princess.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crystalspin said:

As you are on the Princess board, the first post in this thread should be of interest

As I didn’t post it, I’m not sure how that screen capture wound up showing in your quote of my original post. Currently Princess is still at 72 hours as per the link provided.

Edited by idahospud

10 hours ago, polmcs said:

PYup. That is my plan too, though our cruise is in June. I’m happy to give Princess my money now in the hope that this all blows over by then and if not, at least I could use those FCC funds to pay for our HI trip in November. I’d even have to book another cruise as the June cruise costs more than the HI cruise. 😉 

The way things are going it is pie in the sky to think it will ‘blow over’ in a matter of a few weeks. It has barely started!   The USA has been very slow to address the problem and things that could have been done were not done. The lack of testing is appalling and really doesn’t show the possible spread that is already there. Not sure the UK is doing very well either. 

Unfortunately the things that are necessary are not pleasant and will mean restrictions to our normal way of life, but far better that than a spiralling death rate, especially amongst us older cruisers.

The latest plan to suspend all sailings for 60 days puts us in an even worse situation as we sail on May 23rd.  We really don’t want to sit on a plane for 11 hours! Our Travel insurance does not generally cover epidemics or pandemics. So if we leave our decision for much longer we face a total loss. I love cruising, was so looking forward to 2 weeks on Caribbean Princess, but I am not prepared to put my husband or myself under any risk.

As for giving Princess any more of my money I would run a mile! It’s a personal choice of course, but all the cruise lines and travel agents are going to be In serious trouble soon, let alone the airlines. We’ve already lost Flybe, a small airline, which is already impacting Southampton Airport, which was their hub. The knock on effect on ports, airports, shopping malls etc is increasing 

As they say, ‘we ain’t seen nothing yet!’

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 2

Our cruise is still 3 months away and final payment is still over a month out (assuming no more policy changes from Princess) so we can afford to wait this out a little longer, even if the US contamination peak is still several weeks away. We can drive to the port as it’s only 2hrs north of here, so again, no big deal if we have to last minute cancel (as long as we can get FCC in lieu)

We however are at risk with the latest airline travel ban, though right now are eligible to still travel back to the UK for Easter as we are only visiting the UK and have permanent US residency and do have a route that brings us back home through a supported screening airport, but the threat of a potential quarantine on the return looms large. 

Ex Up Nately and Kingsclere resident here, so I know Hampshire pretty well 😉

38 minutes ago, idahospud said:

The policy has been updated to include cruises sailing later than May 31:

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/temporary-cancellation-policy.html

Yaaaay! 48 hrs cancellation (thank you, Princess) this should be helpful with my June 27th Alaska sailing R/T from Los Angeles. However, after reading several comments regarding Canadian port closures, it seems this Alaska itinerary is quite uncertain. Still so many unknowns...

On 3/12/2020 at 3:59 PM, cruze610 said:

We called princess yesterday to inquire about our May 16th cruise on CB. If we cancel by March 21 we will receive a full refund back to our credit card minus the original deposit amount of $200 which will be given as a FCC. That is what we will do. We decided last night that we will cancel and plan a different vacation. We will probably end up going to an all inclusive resort somewhere in the Caribbean. Im extremely upset about the thought of canceling our cruise but we just can not take a chance of being quarantined on the ship for 2 weeks after our cruise.  
we will use our FCC and book a cruise for a later date.   I only hope we can get some of the perks they gave us for this cruise.  

We were on the same cruise as you, and also cancelled for the same reasons. We cancelled on March 9. So disappointed, but have to keep the bigger picture in mind. I really feel sorry for the Princess reps who are being inundated with cancellation requests right now. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 12:54 AM, idahospud said:

Princess is temporarily changing their cancellation policy. The link is here: https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/temporary-cancellation-policy.html and details are below.

To assist guests' decisions regarding their upcoming cruise vacations during the evolving worldwide COVID-19 situation, Princess Cruises is temporarily making some changes to our cancellation policy for cruises departing up to May 31, 2020.

Revised Final Payment Timing

Additionally, we are amending Final Payment on cruises sailing June 1 through June 30, 2020.

What's New?

The details vary by departure date. The following applies to new and existing bookings on cruises and cruisetours in all markets globally.

Date of Departure* Benefit
April 3, 2020 or earlier Cancel up to 72hrs before sailing to receive Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for 100% of cancellation fees
April 4, 2020 - May 31, 2020 Cancel by Mar 31 and receive FCC for 100% of cancellation fees
June 1, 2020 - June 30, 2020 Final Payment moves to 60 days prior to sailing

*Date of departure is from the start date of your cruise or cruisetour, whichever is earlier. Excludes charter cruises.

Guests who choose to keep their booking as currently scheduled for departures between March 9 and May 31 will receive the following Onboard Credit amounts:

• $100 USD / $150 AUD per stateroom for 3 and 4 day cruises
  • $150 USD / $225 AUD per stateroom for 5 day cruises
  • $200 USD / $300 AUD per stateroom for 6 day and longer cruises

For our guests booked on Crown Princess Mediterranean itineraries, we are finalizing some itinerary changes and a special offer that we will be sharing early next week.

The Fine Print

Future Cruise Credits (FCC) are non-refundable and may be applied to any new or existing booking not yet paid in full on a Princess Cruise departing on or before December 31, 2021.

The FCC does not have to be used on the same product that was cancelled and is non-transferable.

To ensure we cover guests who already made final payment, the revised final payment date means no cancellation fees will be assessed until 60 days prior to sailing.

Timing

FCCs will automatically be applied to each guest’s Captain Circle account after they have cancelled. FCCs will not be available instantly and may take up to 10 business days to be processed.

Please post the link that takes me to this chart. I am looking for the part that says: APRIL 3, 2020 OR EARLIER. thanks

13 hours ago, dog said:

Please post the link that takes me to this chart. I am looking for the part that says: APRIL 3, 2020 OR EARLIER. thanks

The link that I have which I know brought up this chart now brings up a different chart.

So I do not think you can find this on the Princess web site any more.

47 minutes ago, caribill said:

The link that I have which I know brought up this chart now brings up a different chart.

So I do not think you can find this on the Princess web site any more.

Thanks it was not on the website. It was an email sent to travel agents. Got it. 

Can someone please help me understand something about the temporary cancellation policy.

We want to cancel. We have paid a deposit of around £450 that is otherwise non-refundable. We have not yet made final payment but this is due this week. 

If we cancel now (and bearing in mind we have only paid the deposit) will the port taxes and fees be taken off the deposit amount and refunded in cash, leaving the balance as FCC, or will the whole £450 deposit be returned as FCC only?

15 hours ago, Jetstreamer said:

Can someone please help me understand something about the temporary cancellation policy.

We want to cancel. We have paid a deposit of around £450 that is otherwise non-refundable. We have not yet made final payment but this is due this week. 

If we cancel now (and bearing in mind we have only paid the deposit) will the port taxes and fees be taken off the deposit amount and refunded in cash, leaving the balance as FCC, or will the whole £450 deposit be returned as FCC only?

Just a guess on my part, but if final payment would have been made, then it would have included all the port taxes and fees.

But a deposit is not broken down into part cruise part taxes and fees. It is simply a deposit. If the deposit is to be refunded, I would assume all of it would be as an FCC unless for some reason all of it could be in cash.

Jet streamer. If you are in the UK it maybe different then USA where the deposit does not include the taxes. Call your travel agent. There are several changes recently. Also you are talking about a non refundable deposit.